New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Hi All,

I am going to be working a very large project coming up in 3 weeks and I need to make some decisions about gear.

About me/my work
I am a Director/DP/Photographer with many years of professional shooting experience, especially working on commercial sets under continuous light sources such as HMI, Kino Flo, Natural Light and Tungsten for projects that need stills shot in parallel to the main digital cinema camera's video. Our typical camera packages are Canon C300, Arri Alexa/Amira or Black Magic Cinema Camera with speed booster and nikon mount depending on the shoot budget.

The lighting conditions lend themselves to primes and fast zooms as typical light levels are ISO 1600 1/125 and F2.8 and these are the conditions +/- 2 stops the 14 day shoot will be happening in. The scenes are dramatic vignettes that have some education components to them and most the shooting is just people in action. Note I don't have to shoot during the scenes as they play out for video, but instead will have dedicated 15-30 minute windows to shoot several times through the day where I can position the actors where I need them. Lighting will be the continuous lighting we have on set (full grip and lighting crew and truck with the sources listed above) and I don't plan on using strobes.

My Gear
I recently went through a period of around a year where I wasn't shooting regularly for work as my role has shifted more towards the EP/business side of things vs actually shooting (although I still direct quite a bit). As a result of this I sold of all my canon gear (5DIII, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50 1.2L, 24 1.4L II, 85 1.2L II and 200 1.8L) and shot the hassleblad 501 CM for serious work/play and an EOS with adapted lenses for everything else. Over that time I was seeing more need for quality set photography behind the scenes as well as just complimentary capture on set for various uses. In December I picked up a D750, 24-120 F4 VR, 58 1.4, 20 1.8 and 35 1.8 and it has been a real joy to shoot with both for personal and professional work. This leads us to my questions and ask for recommendations...

I need a second body and a 70-200 2.8 VR II at a minimum, but what is the best kit for me and how do I get the best price from a reputable seller?

I have done a lot of research on the D810 vs D750 and a few features are sticking out to me.

D810 - (vs adding another D750)
Cons
Different controls from my D750
Different media (would prefer all one type)
Huge files
Worse low light performance
More expensive

Pros
Huge files
Better AF spread
Better buffer
Side by side live view zoom
Quiet shutter
Better build

Options:
Buy a second D750 and a 70-200 2.8 VR II and possibly a 24-70 2.8

Buy a D810 and a 70-200 2.8 VR II

Buy a used D4 and a 70-200 2.8 VR II

Other options or things I am missing? I am considering battery grips, an 85 1.4, etc but I don't have an unlimited budget here.

I could also rent a backup body and just buy lenses or just rent everything.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!

M

Mar 14, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

I think a D750 will better a better choice for you.
It's a touch better in low-light, a little faster, a little better or at least same AF
I'm not sure about the shutter, but I think they are on par.
I don't think the "lesser" build will be a big issue.
IMHO the D750 is a better event camera (D810 is a better all round camera).
The D750 is cheaper, you can use the extra money for lenses.

Mar 14, 2015 at 03:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

I love my D810, and I think it would do just fine. But since you already have a D750 and are comfortable with it, I would lean towards that so that both bodies, controls etc are the same for you.

Jim

Mar 14, 2015 at 04:13 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Rent a D3x and see how well it renders dark scenes. Point sources of light look more natural and overall every pixel seems to just look better.

I am on the hunt for one now. (Used)

Mar 14, 2015 at 04:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Since you shoot in a dynamic setting, and it sounds like quickness is important, I think it's essential that your back up body is the SAME as your other one. This is my philosophy for wedding work. My reasoning is that with only one camera model, your fingers just know where the buttons are. You don't have to stop and think about it--you just instinctively shoot. Lenses 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm VR f2.8 are really all you need for fast paced wedding work, and this should be about right for you too. Might consider the highly rated Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC since it has image stabilization where the Nikon does not.

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2015 at 04:45 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Thanks for the great responses! It is tempting to have both cameras and use each to their strengths, but a second 750 is appealing for the reasons mentioned and will probably win out. The D800 ISO 64 and 1/8000th shutter would be nice to have with the 58 1.4. Right now I tend to use a polarizer a lot with this combo outside to get the stop I need.

The D3X is something I had not considered, but is something I will research as well. I always wanted a full sized pro camera, but have never really used one except for a few minutes at a time.

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:18 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Considering your description of the need, much as I covet the 810, it seems to hold no meaningful advantage for you other than file size if you anticipate the need to crop dramatically. In what you describe, none of the rest of the pros/cons would sway me. For this purpose, I say wed yourself to the D750 platform and rock it. There will be no compromise and more than a small amount of advantage.

Regards,

Chuck

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:30 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Ok, so let's say I go the D750 route here, does nikon let you bundle some kind of deal on a 70-200? I am only seeing the 24-120 or the 1.8 G series 3 lens kits. I see there are some lens only rebates, but it is not on any of the lenses I am planning on getting. #1 priority is the 70-200. The 24-70 May not happen now and the 85 1.4 is a longshot.

Advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:48 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

I hope you find something of the sort, but principalities don't often offer rebates or packaged deals on the crown jewels.

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:53 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

D610 close to the 750 saves you a lot of coin. If its just a backup body might not be a bad option.

The new 70-200mm VC tamron is also not a bad lens for the money. They also have a 24-70mm if you don't mind a bit of onion bokeh (Don't bug me...)

Unless you need the 1.4 vs 1.8 on the 85mm, I would so go get the 1.8G. Its not a bad lens and its sharp......

Good luck

Mar 14, 2015 at 06:28 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

I would definitely not go the D3x route. I have one along with the D4s, D800e, D810 and D750. From what you described I'd add another D750. As much as I like the D3x it is not in the same league as any of the afore mentioned cameras in low light.

Gerard

Mar 14, 2015 at 08:38 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Two23 wrote:
Since you shoot in a dynamic setting, and it sounds like quickness is important, I think it's essential that your back up body is the SAME as your other one. This is my philosophy for wedding work. My reasoning is that with only one camera model, your fingers just know where the buttons are. You don't have to stop and think about it--you just instinctively shoot. Lenses 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm VR f2.8 are really all you need for fast paced wedding work, and this should be about right for you too. Might consider the highly rated Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
...Show more

I will second this exact recommendation.

Mar 14, 2015 at 09:14 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

In terms of overall "cleanness" of the pics yes, but for the overall picture quality - imho - no. The D3x has a more realistic look with a classic contrast.

I did say rent one rather than plunge $3000 on a used one.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:53 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

I definitely second to that the D3X has a more realistic look compared to a D800 or D810. Haven't tried a D750. The D3X even looks better when loaded onto Capture One 8. Like what Slug69 said, rent one and see for yourself. I have tried the D800 years before (and also tested the D810) and while the D800 is great camera, it renders a more digital looking image compared to a D3X. However, if you are very good in post processing, then the D810 is a great tool.

To Slug69, the D3X averages used at US$2000 at the moment. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Mar 17, 2015 at 03:28 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Two23 wrote:
Since you shoot in a dynamic setting, and it sounds like quickness is important, I think it's essential that your back up body is the SAME as your other one. This is my philosophy for wedding work. My reasoning is that with only one camera model, your fingers just know where the buttons are. You don't have to stop and think about it--you just instinctively shoot. Lenses 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm VR f2.8 are really all you need for fast paced wedding work, and this should be about right for you too. Might consider the highly rated Tamron 24-70mm f2.8
...Show more

Some good advice from Kent as usual.

I used to agree with, and profess, the need for identical bodies but over the years experience has changed my mind. If I'm shooting two bodies together in the same environment and I have them set up identically, I can use just about any two-wheel Nikon body and feel comfortable switching back and forth. I regularly use my D800 and D600 together shooting commercial work and corporate events. Yes, there are differences in how they handle, but once they're set up for use the basic controls you need on the fly are in basically the same location on most Nikon bodies (ISO excepted, though I use EASY ISO in Aperture-Priority when shooting events). Just something to keep in mind.

Josh

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:27 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

You don't mention what the final output will be used for. Do you need 36MP?

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:48 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

D810 kicks ass compared to the D3X. More realistic look....no way.

ReyGay wrote:
I definitely second to that the D3X has a more realistic look compared to a D800 or D810. Haven't tried a D750. The D3X even looks better when loaded onto Capture One 8. Like what Slug69 said, rent one and see for yourself. I have tried the D800 years before (and also tested the D810) and while the D800 is great camera, it renders a more digital looking image compared to a D3X. However, if you are very good in post processing, then the D810 is a great tool.

To Slug69, the D3X averages used at US$2000 at the moment.
...Show more

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:12 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gearing up for a 14 day shoot

Just a quick update.

I decided to rent a backup D750 + 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 VR II and it was perfect!

Thanks for the advice

I will pick up a 70-200 soon I am sure.

Apr 09, 2015 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.