Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Backpacks for camera gear?

mt_archery_guy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Hello all...
I'm in the market for a good backpack to carry all my gear, (5D body, a couple of lenses, 150-600 Tameron lens, tripod, flash, etc) and food/water for a day. Right now I have a Lowpro 450 Pro Tactic, which I like functionally, but it doesn't have enough room for food/water. It also isn't designed, in my opinion, to have on your back for long period of times. It would really be nice to have load lifter straps at the top of the pack. I was wondering what other people may be using, and if there are a couple packs that really stand out from the rest.
Thanks!
Doug

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpacks for camera gear?

FStop Gear. Nothing else is close.

Peace,

Todd

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Todd,
That's funny you should suggest that, I was just looking at those. I hadn't heard of that company before. The "Satori EXP" appears to be what I am looking for. The modular design is interesting. Have you used these packs?
Doug

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpacks for camera gear?

I definitely like the f-stop bags. They are good for day hikes with a modest amount of camera and hiking gear. The support is quite nice, but not as good as true and true hiking packs. You can decide if an ICU is needed, o/w just pad your gear with clothing and for smaller bodies/lenses you can have separate foam padded containers.

David

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:56 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpacks for camera gear?

dgdg wrote:
I definitely like the f-stop bags. They are good for day hikes with a modest amount of camera and hiking gear. The support is quite nice, but not as good as true and true hiking packs. You can decide if an ICU is needed, o/w just pad your gear with clothing and for smaller bodies/lenses you can have separate foam padded containers.

David

I agree with David. I was looking at the Satori last week - the first time I've seem them 'in the flesh' in Shanghai. The F-stops are really nice but, IMHO, incredibly over-priced and as for the ICUs, well yes they are tailored but I'm amazed people will pay the price they go for considering they are just nylon covered foam and you can buy non-tailored equivalents for ca.US$10-20 each and then have as many sizes as you require for your different trips.

That was my solution, I bought a very good dedicated hiking backpack designed for comfort and support and added my own ICUs - it works perfectly (with the added bonus that the ICUs are supposedly 'waterproof' and whilst I don't think the zips will keep out water it certainly adds another layer of protection). Just make sure the backpack you buy unzips at the bottom or back as well as the top, for easy access.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Just use a regular Backpack. Go to REI. Put your gear in their cases in the back of the backpack. I have yet to see a "Camera" day pack equal the comfort and support of a real true backpack.

Jim

Mar 15, 2015 at 01:48 AM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpacks for camera gear?

It definitely makes me think which route to go. Friday I had to use my hunting pack since I needed all my camera gear, a tripod, my snowshoes, extra gloves, food/water and etc. My hunting pack is made by KUIU which has an external carbon frame, and options of a 1850 ci, 5200 ci and 7200 ci bags that will fit on it. It is extremely comfortable and carries heavy weight very well.

Mar 15, 2015 at 09:02 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Your original post made me thing we are talking about a single day outing. That said, if I'm going overnight I use either my Deuter or my Osprey bag. Both offer better support than the F-Stop stuff. But for day use the opposite of what is mentioned applies - that is while no camera pack is the equal of a real pack when you need to go a long way or for a long time, likewise no real pack is the equal of a good camera pack for a shorter trip.

The ease of access of the F-Stop stuff, of a good Kinesis setup, of the Gura Gear stuff or the better LowePro gear is unmatched. I can get to everything I need to in the F-Stop bags in under 30 seconds and I don't have a yard sale with my gear spread all over place when finding stuff. That makes setup, shooting and pack up when done easy, fast and efficient. With a real pack it is always less easy, slower and less efficient. So, for a day hike, the F-Stop hits the mark. For an overnighter, I take a bag designed for that purpose.

Peace,

Todd

Mar 15, 2015 at 01:13 PM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Yeah, I just need to figure out will work best for what I'll be doing. Right now I use the Lowepro Pro Tactic 450, which functionally works quite well, but there isn't any extra room for food, water, coat, etc. I think the Fstop packs would work good for what I want, but they are pretty pricey for what they are. I'll get it figured out.....
Thanks for all the great input!!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 02:56 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Another bag to look into are the mindshift bags. I dont have one yet, but I plan to buy one soon. I like the idea of not having to put the bag down to get my camera out.

Mar 15, 2015 at 06:48 PM
srkerd

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backpacks for camera gear?

I have been looking at Mindshift lately too. I am currently using a Lowepro 450 tactical which I am happy with however swapping a lens or getting to anything in the bag requires to put the bag down (which in some cases is not really possible, water or poison oak etc)
I have seen people using f-stop and they are very nice but very pricey and still have the access problem.

Mar 17, 2015 at 01:01 AM
Highfive

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backpacks for camera gear?

I have the rotation 180 pro and i can confirm its a absolutely stunning backpack.
Love it for hiking and snowboarding, easy access to the camera.
Excellent quality materials and solutions, little bit expensive. But its worth it if you ask me.

Mar 17, 2015 at 02:33 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backpacks for camera gear?

I have the mindshift rotation pro 180 and it is amazingly well built and designed. Not sure if it will fit the tammy 150-600 in the bottom attached to a body, but it would be close. I'm sure it will fit easily in the top compartment. I've had my 80-400 attached to a d750 and it can squeeze into the bottom section. The best bag i've ever seen for taking camera gear on real hikes. Not a lightweight, but really comfy, and it takes a 100oz hydration bladder along with everything else. I hiked up to the top of Yosemite falls with it, and was taking pictures the entire way without falling behind my wife and son. Expensive, but worth a close look depending what you want to carry. I think it can manage just about anything short of one of the really big wildlife lenses..

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:13 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backpacks for camera gear?

How much gear will this Mindshift bag hold? I am looking for a bag to fit 2 pro bodies a 70-200, and a 200-400 plus other accessories

May 26, 2015 at 04:18 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backpacks for camera gear?

After having owned many backpacks over the years and doing a lot of research I settled on the Guru Gear Bataflae backpacks and they are the best designed and best built available at this time. I have the 18L which is large enough for two bodies and the 80-400 or 70-200 zoom plus 3 smaller lenses and a flash. Outer pockets for getting to small stuff without having to open the main compartment and they include a rain cover that also works for keeping the bag clean when setting it down in the field.

A problem that I have had with all camera bags and backpacks is that with the small to medium size ones the manufacturers fail to provide a waist strap to help carry the load with my hips and to keep the bag in place. 99% of the time I have to get materials and have the waist belts sewn on to fix this defect.

The Bataflae design allows me to access one half of the backpack at a time if I want and that keeps dirt and dust and other contaminants out of the other side. With digital sensors I have found that the cleaner the bag is inside the cleaner my lenses and cameras will remain and the less chance their is for this to get inside the lightbox of the camera. Every little bit helps.

May 28, 2015 at 01:57 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backpacks for camera gear?

This sounds real good. I will have to check it out. In my searching I ran into this web site. Do you have any info on these guys? Vanguard World Back Packs

May 28, 2015 at 02:22 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backpacks for camera gear?

sounds like you're looking for a pack on the slightly larger size for all that gear... the medium to large F-Stop bags would be options as would the Gura Gear Uinta, which I currently use (having tried and sold a few F-Stop bags).

Or, as many might also suggest, build your own, cheaper versions with third-party ICUs and a "real" backpack that has a better harness system.

May 29, 2015 at 03:59 PM
NitroZip

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Backpacks for camera gear?

JimFox wrote:
Just use a regular Backpack. Go to REI. Put your gear in their cases in the back of the backpack. I have yet to see a "Camera" day pack equal the comfort and support of a real true backpack.

Jim

Which bag do you use and what gear and other things do you carry for a day hike?

May 30, 2015 at 07:40 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Backpacks for camera gear?

For day hikes, I use one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/848005/rei-stoke-29-pack-2013-special-buy?cm_mmc=ad_gdn&mr:trackingCode=6C90BAC3-46CA-E211-9C7C-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=CKmBj5ea7cUCFYcnjgodsZAAFQ#tab-specs

REI 29 Stoke. Weights about 1.8 lbs and holds gear in lowepro lens cases and one TLZ mini. For the overnight I did this last weekend, I took the same gear in the same lowepro cases and stashed it in a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. If its going to be wet, I use an Arcteryx Naos 55 or M40 instead.

My hiking photography kit these days is a Sony a7r, Zeiss 50mm and Zeiss 16-35mm. Gitzo GT0540 tripod

The most comfortable, supportive camera backpack I've used is the lowepro Nature Trekker AW II. I got one in unused condition at Goodwill for 26.99 but I just don't carry that many lenses into the woods so its in the closet.

May 31, 2015 at 08:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Backpacks for camera gear?

Loka and Satori EXP. its a matter of load as to which one is used.

Jun 01, 2015 at 12:03 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.