New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

VilleK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

I recently bought some color gels and decided to test them out. Luckily, two gorgeous models, Emma and Annika, were to happy to model for me in this project and Maiju was styling and doing the makeup with Jasmina. Nice team

#1 Emma

Fashion portrait by VilleK_, on Flickr

#2 Emma

#3 Emma

#4 Annika

#5 Annika

The team:

Photo + retouching | Me
Models | Annika T/Fashion Unit + Emma L/Fashion Unit
MUAH + style | Maiju Qju
Assistant | Jasmiina Nurminen
Jacket and accessories | Mick's Jyväskylä
Shoes | Kookenkä Jyväskylä

This was the first time I used gels in 3-4 years so I tried to not overuse them. All comments are appreciated

Thanks for looking!

Mar 14, 2015 at 08:54 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

interesting...not a big fan of the poses and expressions but clearly you are a skilled photographer..maybe others will think the opposite of my first two observations..personal thing I guess..I like #5 the best except a bit greenish for my taste and the hunched shoulder don't care for

Mar 14, 2015 at 09:14 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

Very attractive "gels".

I'm seeing some green in her hair and left arm of #4 & #5. (uncalibrated MacBook Pro)

Mar 14, 2015 at 02:23 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

Lol, well I guess the green gel is working then.

Very nice work. Using colored lights can provide a strong emotional impact. They are used a lot in live theater for example to help set the emotion of a scene. I think these succeed in that. I must say, though, that green is not a comfortable tone. I'm sure that is your intent here given the fashion portrayed. The feel is quite creepy, certainly uncomfortable.

I find blues and reds much more comforting and more pleasing to the eye especially for skin tones. But the colors you've chosen here do indeed help tell the story. Well done.

Mar 14, 2015 at 05:20 PM
VilleK
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Color gel testing with Emma and Annika

Kell wrote:
interesting...not a big fan of the poses and expressions but clearly you are a skilled photographer..maybe others will think the opposite of my first two observations..personal thing I guess..I like #5 the best except a bit greenish for my taste and the hunched shoulder don't care for

Jim Rickards wrote:
Very attractive "gels".

I'm seeing some green in her hair and left arm of #4 & #5. (uncalibrated MacBook Pro)

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Lol, well I guess the green gel is working then.

Very nice work. Using colored lights can provide a strong emotional impact. They are used a lot in live theater for example to help set the emotion of a scene. I think these succeed in that. I must say, though, that green is not a comfortable tone. I'm sure that is your intent here given the fashion portrayed. The feel is quite creepy, certainly uncomfortable.

I find blues and reds much more comforting and more pleasing to the eye especially for skin tones. But the colors you've chosen here do indeed
...Show more

Thank you for your comments! The last two are green as intended and using green light with skin colors can look really weird. I think this works quite well but I can understand why some people think the colors are off.

Before shooting these I saw some work by Geoff Jones ([url]http://www.threevisual.com.au[/url]) which I like very much. I tried to do something similar lightningwise. This is not nearly as good as his work but I'm happy with it

Thanks again, everyone!

Apr 11, 2015 at 05:30 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.