FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · One from the butterfly shoot

davidearls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One from the butterfly shoot

Interesting day at the butterfly shoot. With only morphos (two species, peleides and polyphemus) there were more photographers than butterflies. When they wake up in the morning, they fly to the top of the conservatory, and don't descend into the foliage until they get hungry - which is unfortunately not long before tripods must be removed from the display.

OK, missed the focus on the eye in this one, have a follow-up shoot set for next week, but I spent some time with the PP on this image as I'm working through Dan Margulis book on Lab color. Original (#1) was decidedly less vibrant.

The lens was an Oly 200 f4.5 on 14mm of extension at f4.5.

Critique requested.

© davidearls 2015

© davidearls 2015

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One from the butterfly shoot

Second one is more vibrant for my eyes but both exhibit camera shake and could use a faster shutter speed..

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One from the butterfly shoot

Color shift in #2 David, lots of cools and magenta to me.
I would agree that 1/5 may have introduced some motion, not from you but air movement on the leaf since most looks slightly soft IMO.

Take care, have fun keep pushing to get back up to speed my friend

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:50 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One from the butterfly shoot

I'm not seeing motion blur, I see shallow DOF and focus on the top of the wing rather than the face.
While the color is more vibrant in the second I think the color correct in the first.

Butterflies will be a challenge at such a slow shutter speed. Can you find a spot where they get more light on them? You might have to shoot later in the day. To combat the harsh lighting and try using a shoe mounted flash with the head tilted up at 45 degrees and mount a diffuser on it to soften the light and create a gentle shadow from above. I use a similar setup to your with a 180mm lens and tube also on an APSC body. With a lens this long you can give them some space yet the trade off will be shallow DOF if you shoot wide open. Be creative with the shallow DOF or stop down. If the butterflies are tolerant of your getting close try a shorter lens such as a 24-85 zoom with tube if necessary.

Morris

Mar 14, 2015 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.