Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

wgman02

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

Good Evening, I realize some would say B&W, Does any have experience on more affordable ND made by Hoya & Tiffin ? I brought some El Cheap o from Newer & image quality with 135 F2 was degraded?.......Thanks

Mar 13, 2015 at 07:48 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

I would get a Variable ND if you're going to use it with strobes. I've had the Tiffin one and it's a great filter.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM
wgman02

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

Thanks do u mind tellin which tiffin or is just 9 or 10 stop variable ? ...Thanks

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

I use Hoya HMC NDs (3- and 2-stop), no visible image changes.
Variables have strengths (they are variable, so you buy only one, and you can just dial-in ND quickly), but have these weaknesses:
- on UWA lenses, you get an "x" pattern
- if you're metering with flash, you need to adjust your exposure for the ND filter. But with a variable, you won't know what the adjustment is, so you guess and chimp.

I find i can meter and compose easily to 3 stops, and well enough to 5 stops. That's with fast lenses (2.8 or better), it might be different with a 5.6

Mar 14, 2015 at 08:48 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

kaplah wrote:
I use Hoya HMC NDs (3- and 2-stop), no visible image changes.
Variables have strengths (they are variable, so you buy only one, and you can just dial-in ND quickly), but have these weaknesses:
- on UWA lenses, you get an "x" pattern
- if you're metering with flash, you need to adjust your exposure for the ND filter. But with a variable, you won't know what the adjustment is, so you guess and chimp.

Yes, and also because a variable is really a dual polarizer, it's also polarizing reflections which is another change in the image you're getting.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:56 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

Another issue to be aware of is possible vignetting with wide angle lenses when using a Vari-nd filter. They are thick!

In general, if you are using longer exposures---that is when you need to be more concerned with color shifts, particularly IR contamination. Better filters generally cost a lot more. I've found it is better not to skimp and buy the right filter the first time around.

ken

Mar 14, 2015 at 01:02 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

Another vote for the variable ND filter from Tiffen. It is fairly cheap and we have had good experience with it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813278-REG/Tiffen_77VND_77mm_Variable_Neutral_Density.html

This is also a good clip comparing a few variable ND filters:

This is one of our sample shots from early last year where we used our Tiffen variable ND:
http://www.nourifyphotography.com/photos/i-tSnbdjm/0/L/i-tSnbdjm-L.jpg

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:46 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ND FILTER WHICH ONE.....

Something Dave Dugdale seemed not to recognize is that what he called "vignetting" was not optical vignetting caused by the filter glass but was physical vignetting caused by the filter mount on an ultra-wide lens. He needed to have been using the "slim mount" version of the filter.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.