New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

fpoet
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

I would like to hear from folks in Canada who sold expensive gear to USA buyers. I have a tele lens for sale and there is no way I am going to ship this without full value insurance. How do you guys go about it? Do you simply go with UPS, Fedex or DHL (which all charge high brokerage fees), or is it possible to go with Canada Post and supplement their $1000 base coverage with a private insurance?

(With PayPal, I have only two options: Canada Post and UPS.)

TIA

François

Mar 13, 2015 at 07:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

Hi François,

I ship anything worth over $1000 by courier. It is expensive. I once had a $3000+ lens refused by a US buyer (he didn't want to pay the fees that he was fully aware of at purchase time). It was returned to me (good), but I wasn't at home when in arrived, and it was left on the front porch (not good).

Why do you say only Canada Post and UPS ? Is there something in Paypal terms that denies the use of FedEx, Purolator, and other couriers?

Mar 13, 2015 at 08:07 AM
fpoet
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I was not clear. What I meant to say is that, if I want to create a shipping label directly from PayPal, I am offered two options, Canada Post and UPS. I actually skipped that step in the past for some items.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

I kind of thought that might be it. I don't use PayPal shipping labels. I usually send stuff by Expedited (for small business), and you can make the shipping labels online at Canada Post (they get printed when you take the package to a post office).

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM
fpoet
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shipping and shipping insurance for Canadians selling to the USA

Good to know. I find it convenient though to be able to print the label here, apply it on the box and just drop the package at the post office.

For valuable shipments, alas, it looks like there is probably no other solution than going with a courier, which will add high brokerage fees for the buyer.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.