FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Hey folks,

many of you know me as a Minolta enthusiast. Now I have created a list of many Minolta lenses containing full resolution images, test series and a short comment on each lens.

I think the list could be a good resource for some of you, so please check it out: Minolta lenses on the a7 - ratings, sample images and impressions

If you see any obvious mistakes or if your experience doesn't match mine please tell me

thanks,
Phillip

Mar 12, 2015 at 05:45 PM
mikedefieslife
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Nice.

I previously had the MD versions of the 45/2 and the 50/1.7 both were good.

You break into a bit of German there in your MD 20 review. "bokeh ist ugly"

Mar 12, 2015 at 06:17 PM
banpreso
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

thanks for the great resources.
i was a bit surprised to see the 24 2.8 not rated that well since it has the leica connection.
any views on the 35 1.8?
the 58 1.2 rated only 3.5, wow you're tough! haha

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Looks good!

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:42 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Thanks for the quick review list, makes me want the 100/2.5 more...

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:57 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Thanks for the review, looking good! I am also using the Minolta Rokkor MD 50/1.4 elns with 55 mm diameter with my A7R - I especially like the smooth bokeh wide open. But I agree, it best comes out in dim light conditions.

Mar 13, 2015 at 06:24 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

mikedefieslife wrote:
Nice.

I previously had the MD versions of the 45/2 and the 50/1.7 both were good.

You break into a bit of German there in your MD 20 review. "bokeh ist ugly"

I have owned both lenses but never actually used them. I have way too many normal lenses and they did not seem really interesting to me. Their reputation is that they are a little weaker than the faster 50's

and thanks for the language mixup report, thats what happens if the English and German word are very close "ist = is" and I don't pay enough attention.

---------------------------------------------

banpreso wrote:
thanks for the great resources.
i was a bit surprised to see the 24 2.8 not rated that well since it has the leica connection.
any views on the 35 1.8?
the 58 1.2 rated only 3.5, wow you're tough! haha

The lens hat a very good reputation in film days but I am not alone in being underwhelmed by it's performance on the a7. Maybe maybe the filter stack is partially to blame for that or it is simply that film did not resolve so much detail.

There are two 1.8/35s, I had the MC 1.8/35 which is not a small lens for a while on my Nex-5n and stopped down it was excellent. At f/1.8 it had some character. I want to do a bigger 35mm comparison in the future, maybe I can get one for that.
The smaller MD 1.8/35 I can't tell you much about it.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:02 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

I have owned both lenses but never actually used them. I have way too many normal lenses and they did not seem really interesting to me. Their reputation is that they are a little weaker than the faster 50's

The MD 45/2 I have is a very strong "character" type lens and renders completely different than most typical 50's I have used. It shows very strong central contrast/ sharpness with a fast falloff in sharpness that gives a very "3D" look to images. It never really sharpens up in the corners but if someone is looking for something special with regard to rendering, this is a great bargain imo. I think it's somewhat unique.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:10 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

The MD 45/2 I have is a very strong "character" type lens and renders completely different than most typical 50's I have used. It shows very strong central contrast/ sharpness with a fast falloff in sharpness that gives a very "3D" look to images. It never really sharpens up in the corners but if someone is looking for something special with regard to rendering, this is a great bargain imo. I think it's somewhat unique.

thanks, for the motivation to buy one ;-)

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:16 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

thanks, for the motivation to buy one ;-)

Ha ha. They certainly are cheap enough.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:22 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Nice rundown...I picked up a 200 f3.5 MC for $25 awhile ago, it really is a nice lens on the e mount.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:37 AM
sphinxx

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Hey folks,

many of you know me as a Minolta enthusiast. Now I have created a list of many Minolta lenses containing full resolution images, test series and a short comment on each lens.

I think the list could be a good resource for some of you, so please check it out: Minolta lenses on the a7 - ratings, sample images and impressions

If you see any obvious mistakes or if your experience doesn't match mine please tell me

thanks,
Phillip

Really appreciate your job, Phillip. Could you tell me more about the MD 24mm/2.8 (55mm)? Because there are some reports said this lens is really excellent with same optic build with Leica 24mm.

Edited on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

sphinxx wrote:
Really appreciate your job, Phillip. Could you tell me more about the MD 24mm/2.8 (55mm)? Because there is some reports said this lens is really excellent with same optic build with Leica 24mm.

The optics are the same but not everything with a Leica badge is a great lens. Here is photodos MTF graph for the Leica Elmarit-R 24:
http://www.photodo.com/lens/Leica-ElmaritR-24mm-f28-934/images

And here my test series for the Minolta
Minolta_MD_24mmf28 by reevedata, on Flickr

Two full resolution samples:
Minolta MD Rokkor 2.8/24 @f/8 by reevedata, on Flickr

Minolta MD Rokkor 2.8/24 @f/8 by reevedata, on Flickr

There is lots of astigmatism, field curvature and CA so in some situations you can get decent images but it won't really do justice to a 24MP sensor. Here is a very interesting 24mm comparison:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1342704/0?keyword=24#12807314

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Thanks for this and your blog post about alt lens use on A7 cams that was linked via sonyalpharumors. I just pulled the trigger on an A7II. Already have an A6000 as well as Canon and Nikon full frames (and adapters for them) but this post and the blog post have fueled an interest in alt lenses. I've got some older Minoltas floating around here someplace and of course want to try my Canon TSEs and some Rokinons on the new cam. I've also got a Helios 44-2 and 44M-6 on the way to try. Seriously considering your recommended Minolta 100 f/2.5 as well as a Pentax/Takumar 50 f/1.4 for kicks. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and information!

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

akclimber wrote:
Thanks for this and your blog post about alt lens use on A7 cams that was linked via sonyalpharumors. I just pulled the trigger on an A7II. Already have an A6000 as well as Canon and Nikon full frames (and adapters for them) but this post and the blog post have fueled an interest in alt lenses. I've got some older Minoltas floating around here someplace and of course want to try my Canon TSEs and some Rokinons on the new cam. I've also got a Helios 44-2 and 44M-6 on the way to try. Seriously considering your recommended Minolta
...Show more
Good to hear, I wish you a lot of fun with that camera

Mar 14, 2015 at 09:23 AM
Peire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
The optics are the same but not everything with a Leica badge is a great lens. Here is photodos MTF graph for the Leica Elmarit-R 24:
http://www.photodo.com/lens/Leica-ElmaritR-24mm-f28-934/images
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8588/16615796740_36c80def61_o.gif

And here my test series for the Minolta
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7641/16777667571_e40fc0d620_o.jpgMinolta_MD_24mmf28 by reevedata, on Flickr

Two full resolution samples:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/16359103540_aa5e13645c_b.jpgMinolta MD Rokkor 2.8/24 @f/8 by reevedata, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7283/16359101220_94b63a6775_b.jpgMinolta MD Rokkor 2.8/24 @f/8 by reevedata, on Flickr

There is lots of astigmatism, field curvature and CA so in some situations you can get decent images but it won't really do justice to a 24MP sensor. Here is a very interesting 24mm comparison:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1342704/0?keyword=24#12807314

Despite all those flaws each of 4 iterations of 24/2.8 Rokkor 9/7 lenser (MC W.SI,MC W.,MD W.,slim MD W. with plastic aperture ring), and the plain MD (8/8 lenser) are still very good landscape performers at f8-16, on the A7.I can see no major differences in the perceived overall IQ versus presumably better lenses like Zeiss ZF 25/2.8,Canon FD 24/2 and 24/2.8,OM Zuiko 24/2.8 and 24/2.0.

Mar 15, 2015 at 05:05 AM
winnonlin
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Hey folks,

thanks,
Phillip

Nice. Which adapter you used for the 24/2.8? I am having hard time to find one without producing the "black circle".

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM
winnonlin
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Hey folks,

thanks,
Phillip

Nice. Which adapter you used for the 24/2.8? I am having hard time to find one without producing the "black circle".

winnonlin
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Hey folks,

thanks,
Phillip

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Minolta Rokkor Lenses on the Sony a7

winnonlin wrote:

black circle? I use a Novoflex but I had not problem with the cheaper ones

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.