FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wildlife in Iceland end March early April

Contrails

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wildlife in Iceland end March early April

Hi everyone,

I am making a trip to Iceland end of the month and would like to find out if I should bring my long lenses for wildlife. Will it still be too cold especially for birds? Any help would be appreciated. Thansk you

Ryan

Mar 12, 2015 at 01:38 PM
Jonas Ottos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wildlife in Iceland end March early April

At the end of the month the migratory birds are beginning to arrive and the mating season for sea birds is beginning. The bigger migratory birds have already begun to arrive so your long lenses shold get used. If you are lucky you have a good chance of getting close to yhe King Eider which is often in harbours and calm coves mingling with the common eider, which is in flocks of hundreds and sometimes thousands all along the shoreline in march and April. The smalller birds are beginning to arrive early April if the weather is favourable but by mid april they should be in their thousands so if you stay that long you really get to use your long lenses.

These two were among hundred flocking an Akranes harbour (A small town about 40 minutes drive from Reykjavik)

The King and the Commons - King Eider and Common Eider by Jonas Ottos, on Flickr

Edited on Mar 13, 2015 at 04:35 AM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2015 at 03:59 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wildlife in Iceland end March early April

Mid-April 2014 there were thousands upon thousands of migrating waterfowl. Reindeer are out there too. And there are a number of other species out there too. I quite enjoyed the abundance. Most of the trip was on the south coast. You can check out my images here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40724294@N04/sets/72157650907842670/

Enjoy your trip, it is an incredibly wonderful place, especially if you like geology and variable weather.

Mar 12, 2015 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.