New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

I am about 85% happy with my processing for this image and I can't figure out how to get to 100%
I do my processing in Lightroom and use Perfect Effects 9 for the finishing touches.
I don't use Photoshop, so I don't shoot multiple images for blending
I think I did a pretty good job of managing the wide dynamic range of light for a one image shot
Your comments and critiques are all appreciated
Thanks,
Bob

PS I posted another image from the same evening on the Landscape Forum, it is processed a little differently. For the sake of comparison, here's a link to that one: The Queen's Bath

© uintaangler 2015

Bali Hai Sunset

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Hi Bob, I have been there and love that island, its my favorite, and the Queens Bath is a great subject. You are shooting a Nikon, the current king of DR. But I cannot imagine pulling out all the shadow detail while avoiding blown whites with just LR. I don't use LR but I assume it has similar capability to ACR.

Being a Canon guy, I have to blend multi images even when I have Photoshop to work with. I am currently using SNS HDR to blend and then finish in Photoshop.

We have some really good post processing folks here that can probably tune your single image, although I believe most need layers to do it.

What I feel is missing from this image is a good black point. The cure I would use require Photoshop where I would select shadows, and increase levels a bit. Not much help to you.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:23 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

I like the composition of these images by the way the water line draws the eye into the image. I also like the colors you captured in the sky. The image you posted here would be my pick of the two. I think because of the rocks in the foreground.

A couple of observations on both images is the water or dirt specks on the lens that is causing some bright spots similar to sun flares all over the images. These are really heavy in the image you have posted over in the landscape forum. You might be able to calm them down a little in LR but I'm no expert on how to do that. It looks like you lost a good bit of contrast from this issue.

The heavy vignette in the top right corner is a little distracting in the above image.

Take my critique with a grain of salt as I do not have highly trained eyes like the other good folks here.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

I like this the way it is. If you are not happy maybe a bit more contrast and punch and a bit off the top.

Mar 12, 2015 at 04:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Nice rework Jim.

Mar 12, 2015 at 05:08 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

I think Jim is on the right track. You have some nice sunset light in the sky but the foreground looks very flat. Setting a black point per Ben's suggestion and adjusting the contrast could help it match the drama in the background. I'd also darken the very bottom to help keep the eye in the frame. Very nice as is though.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:54 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

If you had Photoshop, I'd suggest applying the unsharp mask at 16, 60, 0 to add mid-tone contrast pop, sharpening the rocks, some selective dodging, and increasing the gamma of the immediate foreground:

Mar 14, 2015 at 04:31 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

There may well be some monitor mismatch issues at work, but I'd agree that the black point seems a bit bright.

A light curve tweak to put the dark rocks 'in their place' makes for a more natural image, IMO.

After that, if I ran the Zoo, I'd desaturate the yellow/orange clouds and sky a few clicks. They look sorta funky with that combination of brightness and saturation.

Mar 14, 2015 at 08:09 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Just felt like the details needed to be pushed (and yes; I should have spent more time cleaning up some areas then I actually did).

Mar 15, 2015 at 05:00 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

My eyes! MY EYES!!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 06:43 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

AuntiPode wrote:
My eyes! MY EYES!!!

+1

Mar 15, 2015 at 06:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Magnificent scene, beautifully composed. I would have been happy to have been 50% there. I think the tweaks suggested do move the image up from quite beautiful to Wow.
Scott

Mar 15, 2015 at 06:59 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Thanks Scott

Mar 15, 2015 at 07:01 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Some people like details; others don't. To each his (or her) own.

Mar 15, 2015 at 09:19 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

OK; added dark drama. lol

Mar 15, 2015 at 09:35 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Reminds me of the scene when my spaceship landed on Wool World.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

I always knew you came from the Sirius system Karen. lol

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:57 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

"You can't be Sirius."

Oh, but I am!

Mar 16, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bali Hai Sunset, Kauai

Just as long as it is not Skat from the Aquarius constellation.

Mar 16, 2015 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.