New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

I understand you can't change focusing screens on the 5D3 and wonder how hard it is to manually focus the Zeiss ZE 35 f2? I will probably mostly use it for landscape but don't want to always use a tripod so live view is less of an option.

Mar 12, 2015 at 09:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

Pretty easy to focus, and there is a focus confirm indicator too. Between that and tripod-mounted LV for really critical focus, you should be fine. I never have had a problem with standard screens in viewfinder of FF cameras.

Mar 12, 2015 at 09:55 AM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

Liveview with a loupe and 10x is the most accurate but you need to use a tripod. I use focus confirmation beep/light on my 5D III when manually focusing with Zeiss lenses. The results, for me, are very accurate. I use back-button focus when manually focusing as I have clicked the shutter way too many times and getting lots of OOF shots.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

The only time manual focusing with Zeiss lenses can become somewhat challenging (in my experience) is whenever you're working with a wide-open aperture and trying to focus near the MFD.

If you are doing landscapes - even handheld - the Zeiss will be super easy to focus with.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:04 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

darbo wrote:
The only time manual focusing with Zeiss lenses can become somewhat challenging (in my experience) is whenever you're working with a wide-open aperture and trying to focus near the MFD.

If you are doing landscapes - even handheld - the Zeiss will be super easy to focus with.

I can attest to this. I use the Zeiss 100/2 ZE mp a lot for my macro work and use Liveview more often when shooting wide open.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manually focusing with 5D3 and Zeiss

I've used my 5D3 with several Zeiss lenses, relying on focus confirmation. I usually turn on the focus beep for confirmation - I find it works 90% of the time if I turn from infinity focus down to the focus distance and stop when I hear the beep.

I've used this successfully with ZE 21/2.8, ZE 100/2, Otus 55/1.4, and Otus 85/1.4, including wide open shooting.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.