FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

gspiridakis wrote:
At the end, after a long time they told me that this in not covered by Canon (my camera is out of warranty) and that i will need to pay 402 euros for the change of mirror box and some 'fixing' of the electric circuit.

After that experience, i am really wondering if that is fair. I mean i bought the top Canon camera (of that time), a very expensive one, that is supposed to be a real workhorse and tough.

Instead of that, that is the second problem that appears during the 3 years i own it, (the first one was
...Show more

You've owned it for 3 years and the warranty is only for 1 year. Why on earth would you expect Canon to repair your camera at no charge now?

May 07, 2015 at 01:26 PM
luminaire
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

rolette wrote:
You've owned it for 3 years and the warranty is only for 1 year. Why on earth would you expect Canon to repair your camera at no charge now?

gspiridakis is in Greece. In [edit: many jurisdictions in] Europe, a manufacturer remains liable for repair or resitution of a latent defect for a period of six years from the time of purchase.

After the first six months the onus is on the customer to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. Tricky in this case as the effects only became apparent at a later date. In the UK some people have paid for independent examination of products and then billed this back to the retailer or manufacturer as part of the settlement.

Always worth checking for sale of goods protections in your local jurisdiction.

Yes, it's one of the reasons we pay more for products in Europe.

May 07, 2015 at 01:49 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

Same as msalvetti....every once a great while....never could explain it.

May 07, 2015 at 05:11 PM
gspiridakis
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

Thanks for your answer Mark. I will write to Canon about my problem anyway.

Rolette, i don't find it logical for a super expensive (and supposedly durable) body to show a problem like that. And especially since the camera was taken care very well. You expect a damage on the shutter when the actuations are close or over the manufacturer's limit, for example. This is something to be expected. Also, if you make an accidental damage on the camera then you will consider it normal to get charged for the repair.
But this, is out of normal damage. It's not because of the user's fault, it's because of a problematic part of the camera.
And yes i find it VERY NORMAL to be repaired even with out charging.
I did not pay such amount of money to get a camera with faults, but for a camera that will work without problems for many years (apart for damages that are considered normal after a long time usage).

George

May 07, 2015 at 05:36 PM
rolette
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

luminaire wrote:
gspiridakis is in Greece. In [edit: many jurisdictions in] Europe, a manufacturer remains liable for repair or resitution of a latent defect for a period of six years from the time of purchase.

After the first six months the onus is on the customer to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. Tricky in this case as the effects only became apparent at a later date. In the UK some people have paid for independent examination of products and then billed this back to the retailer or manufacturer as part of the settlement.

Always worth checking for sale of goods
...Show more

Thanks for the explanation, Luminaire. I find EU rules "interesting" sometimes. Very different world in so many ways

Jay

May 07, 2015 at 05:47 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

Perhaps by making this forum thread, you will find other 1D4 owners who have paid to repair their camera for the same problem. Then you can figure out if it is a defect in design/manufacturing or if the problem occurs from bumps and knocks.

Sometimes the place where you purchase authorized products are able to assist in getting your issue resolved by the right people. Where did you buy your camera?

If you make a written complaint, stick to the facts. More often then not, companies will bend over backwards to resolve the problem, give discounts and/or more adequately explain why they feel you should be charged.

May 07, 2015 at 06:44 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

gspiridakis wrote:
I have a sudden issue with my 1D Mark IV body. It came out just yesterday, before that i didn't have any issues with it. I 've noticed that in burst mode (AV mode, AI Servo), i get many overexposed shots and only few proper exposed ones. Some are too much overexposed, some just overexposed and few normal ones. That doesn't seem to be in a normal (typical) frequency, but they seem to be random. The bracketing mode is off. The strange thing is that i get all those different exposure shots with the same aperture and AF point on
...Show more

Are there any bright arcs or lines in the images? That may indicate shutter or mirror box trouble. They occur when there is mirror bounce or the mirror is out of sync with the shutter.

May 07, 2015 at 07:26 PM
grip24
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1D Mark IV exposure issues

matt4626 wrote:
Same as msalvetti....every once a great while....never could explain it.

Same here // Happened today while I was shooting Burrowing Owls // Around 8 pictures were so overexposed it looked like I was shooting a sheet of white paper , then it was back to normal .
Unfortunately I deleted the overexposed pics .

May 27, 2015 at 03:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.