New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

shutterwolf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

So I just made the huge jump to buy my first L glass, and I found a really good deal on one in near perfect condition. I pretty much only do pet photography which means my lens tends to get nose prints, drool, or water on it from the dog park and splash competitions.

With my inexpensive 55-250 i would just use my shirt to wipe off the lens as needed, but on L glass, I want to take better care of it. Whats a good UV filter to get that wont break the bank, and wont hurt image quality? Also preferably something durable that wont scratch very easy. I am willing to pay a little more for the filter if I have to, but would prefer to find one inexpensive if possible. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:54 AM
DesertFoxPhoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Hi there,

I recently got version II of the same lens and picked up a B+W UV filter on Amazon for about $50. The price was right and so far hasn't scratched or scuffed after numerous cleanings.

- Matt

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:58 AM
shutterwolf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Nice! How about image quality? Do you notice much of a differance in sharpness when using the filter?

Mar 11, 2015 at 08:02 AM

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

I have a Canon branded protective filter on my 70-200. Got it as a present after the previous filter was smashed (when my chestvest containing the lens tumbled off the hotel bed). However, this is likely expensive. My other lenses have Kenko PRO1D filters on, with one Raylab of unknown properties (unless I find the box...) thrown into the mix.

Mar 11, 2015 at 08:30 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

You want a multicoated filter, either clear or UV. Multicoating will help prevent visible reflections or flare that may reduce IQ in some circumstances.

They are not cheap, but the B + W filters with "nano" coating really repel water and fngerprints (and nose prints, i guess.)

BTW, this thread might explode into the "I hate UV filters" vs. "I love UV filters" argument that pops up on FM every few months. Just to let you know.

Mar 11, 2015 at 09:32 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Some thoughts on this: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2007/12/27/uv-filter-or-not

If you really feel that you must have a so-called protective filter, there is no reason for it to filter UV light, since your sensor is essentially insensitive to it.

Dan

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:32 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

B+W or Hoya HMC (not the cheaper ones) --- protection with imperceptible, if any, quality loss.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Snopchenko wrote:
" (when my chestvest containing the lens tumbled off the hotel bed). "

Wow!

A 70-200 in a chestvest tumbling from a hotel bed!

Now that paints a picture!

Didn’t you have the hood on your lens?

Aside from your rig taking a bounce off the floor, interrupting the spontaneity of the moment I’m sure, obviously things went well what with the gift of a new replacement filter!

You’re the man!

Oh . . . yeah . . . back to the OPs original topic, if using a filter for protection get a good one as others have sugested. Especially, lesson learned at Snopchenko's expense, if using your lens in bed.

Mar 12, 2015 at 05:35 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Just use the lenshood, which is very big and efficient that will keep noses a long way from the front element and if it gets dirty just clean it.

However good your filter it will have some effect on IQ, that's just physics. The bad thing is it's often when you're not expecting it.

I only ever use clear filters when I'm in an environment where the lens could really suffer damage.

As ever YMMV this topic comes up so often

Edited on Mar 12, 2015 at 05:50 AM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2015 at 05:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

77MM Hoya HMC (O) or (C) or a Marumi Super DHG Clear.

Take your pick.

Mar 12, 2015 at 05:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

dhphoto wrote:
Just use the lenshood, which is very big and efficient that will keep noses a long way from the front element and if it gets dirty just clean it.

However good your filter it will have some effect on IQ, that's just physics. The bad thing is it's often when you're not expecting it.

I only ever use clear filters when I'm in an environment where the lens could really suffer damage.

As ever YMMV this topic comes up so often

+1
Most of the time you won't notice the difference

But to call them 'protection' is false . They protect against very little and what they do protect the front element could probably deal with easily .
In illia's case above his les fell off the bed and the filter broke . The filter breaking wasn't some form of self sacrifice . If the drop was going to cause the front to smash it would with or without the filter . But a broken filter is a bigger risk to front element damage .
Use protection when needed (sand / salt spray etc ). But use the hood all the time

Just my 2 pence though

Mar 12, 2015 at 07:43 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Everybody has their opinions on "protective" filters. There is no right answer and there is no wrong answer. It depends on how and where you shoot. In Alaska, where wind and silt, etc. is the norm, they stay glued to my lenses except in occasions in which glare or something will be a problem. If you are dealing with dogs and spraying water, I'd use 'em. Just get a good multicoated one.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM
shutterwolf

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

I am meaning protection in the sense of keeping the glass scratch free, and hopefully minimizing dust. If a dog does give it a nose print, or more commonly, if it gets splashed at the end of the pool, I want to be able to just wipe it with my shirt and go. Quick and easy! If a filter gets scratched, oh well. Cheaper to replace than a lens front glass. \

For the Splash Dogs and beach photos I do, I may also consider a CPL if those are really worth getting. Or a ND for getting long exposures of water during the day. Such as the ocean, or a waterfall, ect. That will probably be more for my 24-105 or 24-70 (when i eventually get that lens) though.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:19 AM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

shutterwolf wrote:
I am meaning protection in the sense of keeping the glass scratch free, and hopefully minimizing dust. If a dog does give it a nose print, or more commonly, if it gets splashed at the end of the pool, I want to be able to just wipe it with my shirt and go. Quick and easy! If a filter gets scratched, oh well. Cheaper to replace than a lens front glass. \

For the Splash Dogs and beach photos I do, I may also consider a CPL if those are really worth getting. Or a ND for getting long exposures of
...Show more

NDs and polarizers are definitely worth getting in the digital era. A polarizer can make for some weird effects on a wide angle lens, though.

I highly recommend the Lee Big Stopper. A little pricey but really nice for long exposures during the day.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:38 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk1 filter question

Photonadave wrote:
Wow!

A 70-200 in a chestvest tumbling from a hotel bed!

Now that paints a picture!

Ah... if only.

Didn’t you have the hood on your lens?

Yeah, it was reverse mounted, but whether that was the case at that instant, I'm not sure (it was over two years ago). The cap was badly dented in the process, that much is certain. The lens has suffered no noticeable damage.

Aside from your rig taking a bounce off the floor, interrupting the spontaneity of the moment I’m sure, obviously things went well what with the gift of a new replacement filter!

You’re the man!

Again... if only. Though overall, I prefer other kinds of entertainment - like photography.

Mar 13, 2015 at 04:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.