New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

James Taylor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I'm upgrading my 5DMKIII to a 1DX - should be here tomorrow. I decided to sell my 5DMKIII locally. Used ShutterCount to see where it was. 230000! I can't believe I shot that much in 2.5 years. I shoot a lot of sports, but that still seems high, doesn't it? I purchased it new from Adorama, so I assume the count was minimal when I started.

So is the best approach to send it back to Canon for a new shutter? What could I expect to get for it after that? Or sell it dirt cheap and make sure the buyer knows it will need a new shutter at some point? What would be a good price for a 5DMKIII with 230000 shutter actuations?

What to do?

JT

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I would be upfront with the buyer and discount the price of the shutter from the average selling prices in your area.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:34 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

See how much a new shutter runs then go from there. Might make more with a new shutter in it and I think they are only a few hundred.

Mar 11, 2015 at 04:46 AM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Also the price has plummeted on the 5 Dmk3 New is $1949
So you will have to readjust accordingly it might be wiser to just keep it for a back up and put a new shutter in it if you have too down the road

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:07 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

James Taylor wrote:
I'm upgrading my 5DMKIII to a 1DX - should be here tomorrow. I decided to sell my 5DMKIII locally. Used ShutterCount to see where it was. 230000! I can't believe I shot that much in 2.5 years. I shoot a lot of sports, but that still seems high, doesn't it?

Sounds about right if you were shooting a lot of sports. I've just crossed the 400K mark with my 1DX in about the same time.

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:24 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Depending on the cosmetic condition, my usual rule for buying used is 70% of new. Guessing a shutter would cost $300, a starting point would be to ask $1,200 assuming you didn't replace the shutter and the body has no major cosmetic issues. If you get an offer of $1,000 to 1,100, I'd take it.

If my reply makes you role your eyes and think.."I'm not giving it away", then keep your 5D III as a back up. I would.

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:24 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Thanks,

At least I know I'm not out of the ordinary. I guess my 1DX should last a good 4 years :-)

ggreene wrote:
Sounds about right if you were shooting a lot of sports. I've just crossed the 400K mark with my 1DX in about the same time.

Mar 11, 2015 at 09:31 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

That's exactly what I was thinking - thanks for the confirmation!

JT

mogud wrote:
Depending on the cosmetic condition, my usual rule for buying used is 70% of new. Guessing a shutter would cost $300, a starting point would be to ask $1,200 assuming you didn't replace the shutter and the body has no major cosmetic issues. If you get an offer of $1,000 to 1,100, I'd take it.

If my reply makes you role your eyes and think.."I'm not giving it away", then keep your 5D III as a back up. I would.

Mar 11, 2015 at 09:32 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I'd start higher...$1500-1600. Canon still has a lot of people convinced that the camera is still worth 3k new.

Mar 11, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I certainly wouldn't replace the shutter, just deduct from the price accordingly. There's no telling how long any given shutter will last, yours might decide to fail tommorow, or it might keep going for years and/or hundreds of thousands more actuations.

Mar 11, 2015 at 05:49 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Access wrote:
I certainly wouldn't replace the shutter, just deduct from the price accordingly. There's no telling how long any given shutter will last, yours might decide to fail tommorow, or it might keep going for years and/or hundreds of thousands more actuations.

+1, who knows when it would go. I'd only replace if it was your primary and only camera, but even then nobody should shoot professionally with just one camera anyway. Or maybe I'd replace it if you have Platinum CPS and get a good discount. Otherwise, just sell as is. Some people don't care that much provided the rest of the camera is in good shape. Usually the people that are picky about shutter clicks are also not likely to buy a camera with high mileage that has a new shutter, since it is just as possible that other parts may break too, its all wear and tear to them.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:04 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

James Taylor wrote:
That's exactly what I was thinking - thanks for the confirmation!

JT

I'm pretty sure if the rest of the camera is in good shape it would sell within an hour if you posted it on the B&S here for 1,200. At 1,500 it may take you a few days or a week to sell but it would probably eventually sell if you wanted to hold out. Heck if you do sell for $1,200 just let me know first I'd probably buy it from you

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:07 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Once a camera gets a high shutter count, it often is because its a camera where all the tolerances in the shutter and mirror mechanism are near perfect, and may go for a million clicks. Replace it, and you might get one that fails in 2000. Just discount it and the buyer will get a deal, he will probably never have to replace the shutter, but he was compensated in advance, so you should only discount for a part of a new shutter cost.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:57 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

new shutter and mirror box is going to cost about $400 w/ cps platinum discount.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:20 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Well, you guts were correct. I listed it on Craigslist and it sold in a few hours, Gentleman is driving over today to pick it up.

stevez32. Sorry, I've never sold anything on the B&S here. I have always done local pickup cash only. Haven't wanted to hassle with shipping and payment stuff. However, I just listed my 24 1.4, 35 1.4, and 135 2.0 on craigslist. I'm in a small area so those might not sell so fast. What do folks use for payment options on the B&S?

JT

Mar 13, 2015 at 02:13 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

Heavily towards PayPal.

Mar 15, 2015 at 05:00 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I keep reading these horror stories about people buying something, paying though Payapl, receiving the item, telling Paypal to cancel the transaction, sending back a brick in a box, then receiving their money back.

I realize this is probably nonsense, but it makes me think.

Andrew J wrote:
Heavily towards PayPal.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

I would sell the camera "as is" and be upfront with the buyer. Maybe $1000 for a quick sale and since the new price is so fabulous right now.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:35 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

How did you get the shutter count? I spoke to Canon last week and they told me that only the 1D has a real shutter counter. All other Canon DSLR cameras don't and only Canon can plug their computers in and tell the true shutter count.

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:11 PM
seattlebruin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help with pricing 5DMKIII - High Shutter Count

if you don't use PayPal gift, this can't happen. Horror stories tend to come from people intentionally disregarding PayPal rules and using the gift option

James Taylor wrote:
I keep reading these horror stories about people buying something, paying though Payapl, receiving the item, telling Paypal to cancel the transaction, sending back a brick in a box, then receiving their money back.

I realize this is probably nonsense, but it makes me think.

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.