Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

cmxchuck
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

I normally shoot the larger birds (Herons, Egrets, etc.), so going to start to shoot the little guys. First still (then I hope in action). Also have to learn all the names, so many in FL from my just looking in general. All with Tamron 150-600, on either D7100 or D810 body.

C&C welcomed. BTW, Hope spring is around the corner for all you people tired of cold and/or snow...Chuck

Female Cardinal

Blue Jay

Common Grackle

Northern Mockingbird

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Good work capturing some nice detail on these smaller birds. I think the white balance of the first might be a bit too purple. Otherwise, IQ is looking really good.

One suggestion I would have is when cropping for composition, it usually works best to leave more room in front of the bird and thus move the bird into the back 1/3 of the frame. I find these cropped a little too tight and leaving the bird too centred.

TFS
Geoff

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:15 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Another very nice set Chuck. Small birds can be tough, but you did very well. 2 and 4 stand out ~ Ron

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:00 PM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

arbitrage wrote:
Good work capturing some nice detail on these smaller birds. I think the white balance of the first might be a bit too purple. Otherwise, IQ is looking really good.

One suggestion I would have is when cropping for composition, it usually works best to leave more room in front of the bird and thus move the bird into the back 1/3 of the frame. I find these cropped a little too tight and leaving the bird too centred.

TFS
Geoff

Thanks for suggestions. Chuck

Mar 10, 2015 at 08:02 PM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

surfnron wrote:
Another very nice set Chuck. Small birds can be tough, but you did very well. 2 and 4 stand out ~ Ron

Thanks Ron. Need to work on them... Hope you have fun in FL

Mar 10, 2015 at 08:03 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Very nice Chuck. Great colors in the Grackle

Birdie

Mar 10, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

The grackle has the best light and composition. I like the dynamics of how the bird's pose and the X of his perch play off each other. Could you frame it a tad more widely, perhaps?

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:24 AM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

birdied wrote:
Very nice Chuck. Great colors in the Grackle

Birdie

Thanks Birdie

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:28 AM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Christian H wrote:
The grackle has the best light and composition. I like the dynamics of how the bird's pose and the X of his perch play off each other. Could you frame it a tad more widely, perhaps?

Hi Christian. Thanks. Yes, I could but more reeds would come into play. So, wanted to remove as much as possible without spot removing them out of pic or having to many be in the scene. Chuck

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:33 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Great set Chuck, I like the Blue Jay for the colors on it and how the branch leads to it from two sides.

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:50 AM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

coreybell wrote:
Great set Chuck, I like the Blue Jay for the colors on it and how the branch leads to it from two sides.

Thanks Coreybell.

Mar 11, 2015 at 08:02 AM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

Nice colors and backgrounds in these, and I like seeing the vertical shots. I tend to forget how well that can work for birds. On my monitor they seem just slightly soft, not enough to hurt the image but something to work on in the future, assuming it's not just my monitor (or my eyes). I say this with complete humility, having had lots of experience with long lenses and just-slightly-soft images, usually due to my haphazard technique.
Thanks for showing these pretty little critters!
Mark

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM
cmxchuck
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · From Sunny Florida - small birds.

marklankton wrote:
Nice colors and backgrounds in these, and I like seeing the vertical shots. I tend to forget how well that can work for birds. On my monitor they seem just slightly soft, not enough to hurt the image but something to work on in the future, assuming it's not just my monitor (or my eyes). I say this with complete humility, having had lots of experience with long lenses and just-slightly-soft images, usually due to my haphazard technique.
Thanks for showing these pretty little critters!
Mark

Thanks Mark. Yep, a little soft to me as well. Not sure if me, the body or lens or all Also no tripod, so handholding might come into play as well. Chuck

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.