FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              36      
       38              42       43       end

Archive 2015 · Canon SPRING!!!

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #1 · p.37 #1 · Canon SPRING!!!

OK no perfunctory comments this: I always believe in including quite a bit of background for wildlife shots to show the bird or animal's relationship to its environment. So, in this case, Geoff, I believe your crops are a little too tight. I can also understand that sometimes crops are tight because the photographer may not want to include something else that might be distracting to the photo.

#3,4 and 5 look sharp and has nice tone values on white areas. The last one in particular is a nice action shot and is well timed. #1 is a little soft and I suspect the bird may have been photographed at a greater distance (although capture should have been relatively easier while it is hovering in mid-air) On the whole, well done.

May 29, 2015 at 11:21 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #2 · p.37 #2 · Canon SPRING!!!

Snopchenko, sometimes sharpness is less important than composition and effect. The effect I see here is that of motion and depth. There is a nice perspective in those receding and converging lines. The one minor fault here (not your fault and no pun intended) is that the woman on the right is looking away instead of looking forward. But we seldom have control of such things.

By the way, what are you doing in MOCKBa?

May 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #3 · p.37 #3 · Canon SPRING!!!

Chris Moy wrote:
Took this last night. I want the hazy to go away!!!!! Bring back winter!!!!
8 image pano stitched in LR CC

Given a photo like that one can hardly complain about the haze. Maybe that's what gives your photo those colors, perhaps from light diffraction by haze atmospherics. There is enough background light to make the buildings stand out, partly by silhouette and building lights. Especially nice is the light captured by the new World Trade Center's facade.
I like the composition of 2/3 sky and 1/3 landmass and water. Definitely less static.

I didn't know that one can create panos with LR. What is CC?

May 29, 2015 at 11:45 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #4 · p.37 #4 · Canon SPRING!!!

LuckyStrike wrote:
Someone mentioned Iris's ...
I had the pleasure of photographing a friend's garden last week.
She has about 50 different Iris in a multitude of colours and patterns.
I need to go back again and try some other techniques and on a morning with no breeze! The dimension of these flowers does make them tricky to capture.... I am enjoying this new 24-70 ...Another learning curve...
LuckyT

Pretty flowers that would grace any person's garden. When taking closeups, I would try to eliminate as much of the background as possible, and in photo #1, the flower is off-centered. As such, the greenery distracts. Very nice texture of the flower is captured and I like that lighting is not harsh. Have you tried using an extension tube for closer focus? It would eliminate some of the distracting background stuff. You will lose at least one stop using the tube, but, seeing that you are shooting at f16, you clan afford some loss of light.

Another technique I like to use is to squirt some water from a fine spray bottle to give those petals/leaves some beaded water droplets for that fresh-after-the-rain look. Did you use mirror lock-up to minimize camera shake?

May 30, 2015 at 12:19 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #5 · p.37 #5 · Canon SPRING!!!

Shield wrote:
3 from later that night for baseball practice. Sigma 150-600 C with the 1d IV:

_________

When it comes to action shots there should be a real conveyance of action, that is, movement or perceived motion. This is especially true for sports. In the first photo, it is not clear if this is a posed shot. At any rate, it is static. It would have been better if the boy did a run -- even a slow run would have been preferable -- to catch the ball.

We often hear the photographic mantra that one should use the one-third rule. This is not an inflexible rule but, compositionally, its merit is palpable and desirable with exceptions in certain cases. It would have been better for the boy to be photographed in the outfield (without the distracting chain-link fence in background) doing a slow chase of an easy (faked?) pop fly. He could be running from left to right or vice versa.

In the next photo, the boy is looking "out of the photo." To save this he should have been positioned nearer to the right of the frame so he would be looking "into the photo" The result is that this photo is out of balance.

May 30, 2015 at 12:35 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #6 · p.37 #6 · Canon SPRING!!!

timgangloff wrote:
For our family, spring time means lake fun.

_______

That is a very dramatic action shot of the water skier. The combined effect of splashing water, water skier in the air (albeit a tad too close to the upper frame edge) conveys to any viewer what the artist Moholy-Nagy called "Vision in Motion." I call it dynamic action.

In the other two photos, you have captured a nice composition of diagonally positioned paddle boarders and saturated colors (is the water really that green?). Makes one want to dive in and join the fun.

May 30, 2015 at 12:46 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #7 · p.37 #7 · Canon SPRING!!!

Milan Hutera wrote:
This little guy was extremely kind to me today. He patiently waited, so I could go back inside, assemble my gear, get back to the garden and snap about 40 photos in the beautiful evening light.

1D Mark IV, Canon 300mm f2,8 L IS, f2,8 and f3,2, ISO 100 - 200, only very slight cropping

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_1838-2.jpg

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_1815-2.jpg

_______

OK, sharp and colorful. Often times it is not possible to control those backgrounds where branches can be a little distracting even if they are out of focus. On the other hand, sometimes just by moving a few feet to the left or right you may get a different perspective and better composition. And if you have just one perching branch and just blue sky in the background, that's GREAT.

May 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #8 · p.37 #8 · Canon SPRING!!!

jcolwell wrote:
Here's some indoor spring time.

Canon 6D + SMC Pentax-FA 50/2.8 Macro at f/11

________

Who doesn't like orchids? They are so gorgeous and come in so many shapes and colors. As I have said before, I like to isolate a flower, so two blossoms is one too many (see the second photo for what I mean). Also, when it comes to floral closeups, I like plain backgrounds. In the second photo, I would have preferred side and softer lighting instead of overhead lighting. I do not know what caused the overhead lighting in this case, maybe just natural sunlight from above. I would try reducing the highlight and gain more texture. White flowers are notoriously difficult* in this respect because they reflect so much light.

* One exception is the Matilija poppy which has very textured petals

May 30, 2015 at 01:03 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #9 · p.37 #9 · Canon SPRING!!!

Tyr-Sog wrote:
North Eastern Michigan, Lake Huron & Au Sable River

________

First two shots represent nice compositions. The curved beach and tire tracks extend to the pier, giving the composition some semblance of depth. I suspect that these two photos were taken using a polarizing filter due to the uneven color saturation of the blue sky (hey, it happens to me too), and perhaps changing the alignment of that white marker on the PL a little bit left or right might improve the sky tones overall. I also note a dust particle in the first photo, so some touch up is needed. That should be easy in Lightroom or PS.

For the last shot of the boardwalk, a more diagonal orientation of the boardwalk (say, left to right) would give the composition a more dynamic appearance. And oh, those horizon lines need to be leveled. Again easily done.

May 30, 2015 at 01:11 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #10 · p.37 #10 · Canon SPRING!!!

Shasoc wrote:
I had some fun with some lizards in my backyard. Found a cute caterpillar (?) and a butterfly.
I used a 300/4 L on a 7D.

______

Socrate, those are stunning closeups of the lizard. How do you manage to not frighten them away? Color, composition and sharpness are all there. As for the caterpillar, yikes, I react to them like a woman to a mouse (OK gals, forgive me for being stereotypical . . . just a figure of speech). Again great composition and sharpness. Note the tiny ant on the caterpillar. I like your clean backgrounds

For our edification, it would be nice if you (and future posters on this thread) could include EXIF data. That 300/f4L has been mentioned as a very sharp lens. OK, gotta give you credit too as most (if not all) of your photos are sharp.

May 30, 2015 at 01:24 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #11 · p.37 #11 · Canon SPRING!!!

LuckyStrike wrote:
Out for an evening walk and these 2 deer strolled across a lawn and watched us ... long enough for me to make a photo or 2.

The light was getting to that nice point , but I was quite a long ways away, so rather cropped!

LuckyT

______

A nice composition and the late afternoon/evening lighting casts a magical spell as seen in the translucent leaves and side-lit deer. This is a "rather" cropped photo, so, yes, one can expect some loss of detail and gain in noise. But we should not be pixel peepers. Enjoy this photo.

May 30, 2015 at 01:34 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.37 #12 · p.37 #12 · Canon SPRING!!!

kmunroe wrote:
Here's a yellow warbler, and a black and white warbler

http://www.novascotiaphotos.net/Birds/FeederBirds/Small/Yellow-Warbler/i-Dn3SVKf/0/XL/AF8G1409-XL.jpg

http://www.novascotiaphotos.net/Birds/FeederBirds/Small/Blackandwhite-Warbler/i-nL4Fz8d/0/XL/AF8G1560-XL.jpg

_____
Two very colorful birds. I would crop the first shot (of the yellow warbler) and eliminate some foliage. The B&W warbler was taken at a difficult angle (sometimes we take what we can get). The out of focus blur in that photo gets a couple of
deduction points. Ken, I have a lot of that kind of stuff in my bird photos too. Sharp, sharp.

May 30, 2015 at 01:40 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.37 #13 · p.37 #13 · Canon SPRING!!!

Lotus, from another location, with different color pattern

1Dx, 100-400L II

KK__0873 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

KK__0875 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

KK__0883 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

KK__0887 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

May 30, 2015 at 02:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.37 #14 · p.37 #14 · Canon SPRING!!!

Beautiful, KK.

May 30, 2015 at 07:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.37 #15 · p.37 #15 · Canon SPRING!!!

Here's two different treatments of the same photo of apple blossom buds. The first is 'as shot' and the second has the background blurred out a bit (in PP). I'm not sure which I prefer.

Canon 6D with Mamiya 645 C 80mm f/4 N Macro on Mirex M645 to Canon Tilt-Shift adapter, at f/11 and with 7 deg tilt.

This is the first outdoor photo I've taken with my new C1 Cube. It won't be the last.

© jcolwell 2015

Apple blossom buds; 6D M645 C 80/4N at f/11, 7 deg tilt, 'as shot'

© jcolwell 2015

Apple blossom buds; 6D M645 C 80/4N at f/11, 7 deg tilt, "selective BG blur'

May 30, 2015 at 07:15 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.37 #16 · p.37 #16 · Canon SPRING!!!

jcolwell wrote:
Beautiful, KK.

Ditto.

May 30, 2015 at 08:01 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.37 #17 · p.37 #17 · Canon SPRING!!!

jcolwell wrote:
Here's two different treatments of the same photo of apple blossom buds. The first is 'as shot' and the second has the background blurred out a bit (in PP). I'm not sure which I prefer.

Canon 6D with Mamiya 645 C 80mm f/4 N Macro on Mirex M645 to Canon Tilt-Shift adapter, at f/11 and with 7 deg tilt.

This is the first outdoor photo I've taken with my new C1 Cube. It won't be the last.

Jim, FWIW, I prefer the second version with the slightly blurred bg. If I hadn't seen the first, I would assume the blurring was a naturally occurring event due to DOF.

May 30, 2015 at 08:03 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.37 #18 · p.37 #18 · Canon SPRING!!!

I went for a walk at a local park between rain showers recently. All with the 1DIV and Sigma 150-600 C...

May 30, 2015 at 08:32 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.37 #19 · p.37 #19 · Canon SPRING!!!

Thanks jcolwell and onegreatcity!

May 30, 2015 at 08:36 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.37 #20 · p.37 #20 · Canon SPRING!!!

jcolwell wrote:

Jim, the second shot has definitely more "pop" due to more isolation created with the blur. That "pop"can be improved even more if you darken the OOF area
Socrate

May 30, 2015 at 09:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.