New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Posted this on dpreview (link) and posting it here as well for my FM peeps Including the Alt board on this thread since many there are looking for a smaller/lighting system solution that doesn't sacrifice IQ.

I recently acquired a J4 and a preliminary workflow for producing full-frame equivalent IQ (in terms of noise). There are two main aspects:

ETTR (Expose to the Right)

Exposing the scene so that the brightest highlights wanted/needed are near the rightmost edge of the raw data/histogram. Unfortunately the J4 doesn't provide an RGB histogram and its luminance histogram is imprecise because it's based on a JPEG tone curve (even when shooting raw). I haven't yet tried UniWB or altering the picture control to produce a more reliable histogram. For now I just calibrated the raw levels vs the J4's middle-gray exposure for my most-often shooting situation of landscapes. I've found that middle-gray + 3EV will yield a relatively-safe ETTR exposure, provided the sky is the brightest element of the scene, although you may find it safer to use +2.3EV or +2.6EV.

When shooting I have the camera's metering set to spot meter and the shooting mode to Creative-Manual. I meter the sky to bring the exposure scale to "0", then adjust the exposure to 3EV brighter than that. This is a little clumsy for repeated shooting but if you're taking multiple shots in the same lighting situation you only need to perform the metering once. A more convenient alternative would be to use Creative-Aperture Priority and keep the exposure compensation pegged to +3EV - that way the camera would always meter +3EV when you point to the sky. Unfortunately the J4 has a bug where exposure compensation to near saturation levels causes the meter to over-exposure by up to 2EV. Not sure if other 1-series bodies have this issue.

Image Stacking for noise reduction

In addition to ETTR I also shoot 20-shot burst for each photograph (you can use a 40-shot on the V3 for even better noise reduction). For this I set the mode dial to "Best Moment Capture" and the capture mode to "Active Selection". For the "Active Selection" option I use the "On release, record preceding frames". That way I can hold the shutter half-pressed and have all 20 frames captured when I release the shutter, producing less motion jerking of the camera. I have the "Capture 20 frames over" parameter set to 1/3 second instead of 1 second - you want to capture all 20 images as quickly as possible because even when using a fast shutter speed the camera is only able to read the sensor at 1/60. I set the "Frames saved(default)" to ALL so the camera defaults to store all 20 images of the burst.

Post-Processing

All 20 images are dropped into Photoshop ACR. I set the WB, sharpening and general adjustments on the first image, then synchronize the other 19 images to the first. I then click "done" and use File -> Scripts -> Load Files Into Stack. I click both "Attempt to Automatically Align Source Images" (since I shoot hand-held there are a few pixels of shift between images sometimes) and "Create Smart Object after Loading Layers". The script takes a few minutes to run. When done, I then go to Layer -> Smart Objects -> Stack Mode -> Median. That takes about 30 seconds. When done you can then crop the image to crop off any blank areas from any pixel shift between the 20 images - I intentionally do this after the Stack Mode because that fills in some of the missing pixels first. Note that a 20-image stack with median averaging reduces noise by 3.5 stops. A 40-image stack (V3) would reduce noise by 5.3 stops. AE bracketing/blending can achieve the same level of noise reduction and only require a few frames but the J-series doesn't support bracketing - plus the stacking technique is more suitable for High ISO hand-held situations as well.

Sample #1 Results

Here are the results of a sample scene. I used a J4 with the 10-30mm PD kit lens and for comparison, a D750 with a Tamron 24-70 VC. I set the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO the same for both bodies. Note that the ETTR on the D750 caused some highlight loss but I wanted to keep the exposure the same so that the noise comparison is fair to the D750. All had the ACR shadow slider increased to max +100 (for the bushes in the shade, simulating a High-DR scene), and all were sharpened in ACR with 35/35 and two passes of USM in PS (30/30/0 and then 300/0.5/0). The "Matrix" images were for the normal exposure that the camera would choose for matrix metering - in this case 1/1000. The spot-metered ETTR exposures were 1/160. Top row contains shadows (raised +100 in ACR), middle row has midtones and upper midtones, and bottom row is the sky. Click "Original Size" to see the full-size of these crops. "J4 Matrix", "J4 ETTR", "D750 Matrix", and "D750 ETTR" show the results from a single raw; the other two J4 images show the results for a 20-image stack.

100% Crops of 8MP downsampled images

Full-sized images (8MP):
J4 Matrix-Metered (single exposure)
J4 ETTR (single exposure)
J4 Matrix-Metered (20-image stack)
D750 Matrix-Metered (single exposure)
D750 ETTR (single exposure)

Sample #2 Results

This sample has framing better matched and more shadow areas to compare. All three images below are ETTR and the shadows raised in post-processing.

Full-sized images (8MP):
J4 (single exposure)
J4 20-image stack)
D750 (single exposure)

Mar 10, 2015 at 02:46 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Seems like a ton of work, and even with the super high burst rates of the 1 series, still isn't always practical to do a 20 image stack.

I quite enjoy my old Nikon V1, and the 6.7-13mm is a fantastic little ultra wide, along with the 18.5 and 32 make a really cool little kit, but.... I use them within the realm of what they are good at, being small, unassuming and quick to focus. Makes a great little casual camera that can nail shots of the kids running around, pets, etc

When I'm going to shoot landscapes etc, there are other tools to reach for, such as a FF camera.

Getting noise equiv. to a FF camera is well and good, but I'd just as soon take a single shot and have the same result as 20 shots stacked, and that isn't even starting to mention things like subject isolation ability etc

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:34 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

I agree stacking is limited to situations where there's no subject movement; my targeted scenario is hand-held landscapes, typically while hiking. Most of the work involved is automated in PS - this workflow only takes a few extra steps from a user POV. As for just using a FF camera instead, a Nikon J4 with battery and 10-30mm lens weighs in at 347g (12.25oz); a D750 with battery and 24-85 VR lens is 3.5x heavier at 1215g (42.85oz). The weight difference is more stark at longer focal lengths. Big size difference as well.

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Here are a few full-sized (18MP) samples from the J4 using this technique. Note my 30-110mm Nikon 1 lens is a bit decentered - it's on its way to Nikon for adjustment

J4 Sample #1
J4 Sample #2
J4 Sample #3
J4 Sample #4
J4 Sample #5
J4 Sample #6

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:03 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Interesting, thanks for posting this in more detail.

Have you also tried PhotoAcute and similar for more resolution?

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:52 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

IMO - What is most useful with this post is that this technique can be used for other cameras as well. [as an aside - I just did some test shots to compare the EM5II hi res mode with 10 single shots that will be loaded into photoacute. Sort of the same thing you have going on here. I'll post when I get a chance to get everything processed.]

Some of these small sensor cameras have limitations with regard to noise and just how many MP you can cram in a given space. But they offer the convenience of size! Stacking photos in ACR, or using something similar like photoacute, or using the EM5II sensor shift, are ways of getting around these limitations and still enjoying the convenience. I have not used ACR for this, but I think folks would be surprised at how easily this is accomplished in photoacute. Once you get used to the work flow, its not that difficult. Thanks for the informative post.

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

While I guess that's a work around to get better IQ, but man... I just have to say that is just way too much work. What if you are out and take 100 different compositions? Sheesh, you would spend forever doing all this work. While it might work, it certainly is not practical.

I guess you seem quite happy with the workflow, but seriously, just take a D750 with you or even get a D3300 if you are really that concerned about the size of the camera.

Jim

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:59 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

I tried PhotoAcute the other day but kept getting strange artifacts in the image. I plan to revisit it when I have more time to dedicate to learning the program.

Jim, I agree this seems like a lot of work but in reality it doesn't add much PP effort to my existing workflow. On a given outing I may come away with 10-15 keepers; for those with a larger volume of images I would agree this might get onerous. For me the effort is well worth the weight savings; I've been on an endless quest to replace FF for my long hikes at altitude without sacrificing IQ and I think my quest might finally be over

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

JimFox wrote:
While I guess that's a work around to get better IQ, but man... I just have to say that is just way too much work. What if you are out and take 100 different compositions? Sheesh, you would spend forever doing all this work. While it might work, it certainly is not practical.

I guess you seem quite happy with the workflow, but seriously, just take a D750 with you or even get a D3300 if you are really that concerned about the size of the camera.

Jim

You only have to do this on the shots you want to keep. Syncing the settings in LR and then batching them in PS isn't exactly a lot of effort.

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:07 PM
soupcxan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Why not just use an iphone and take 1,000 shots and stack them? Or take 100 stacked shots with a D750 and then call yourself a medium format photographer?

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

soupcxan wrote:
Why not just use an iphone and take 1,000 shots and stack them? Or take 100 stacked shots with a D750 and then call yourself a medium format photographer?

I would if the iPhone spit out a raw file and had more lens options. As for the D750 it only shoots 6.5 fps so you'd lose a bit more image data around the edges stacking when hand-holding for 3-4 seconds vs 1/3 second 20-frame burst on the Nikon 1 bodies.

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:28 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

I'd pick up a used Sigma Merrill for around $400 or so, and have a small (and cheap) camera that can deliver amazing resolution and tonality in one single frame

Interesting techniques though, and it will be interesting moving forward if we are going to see higher and higher MP sensors still, or if the tech will swing to trying to do more with a given MP sensor, and doing things like sensor shifts, stacking etc, in order to increase performance levels.

I'm personally pretty good on resolution as is, and more really doesn't give me much. Things like the improved high ISO aiblity on the A7s are frankly more interesting to me than a 50meg sensor.

I'd be really curious to see how new stacked sensor tech, and exposing different pixels differently, will lead to increases in DR.

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:29 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Leigh

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:31 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

It is always interesting to learn new techniques. Thanks snapsy!

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:00 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

soupcxan wrote:

Come on...stop exaggerating. By my calculations it would only take 400 shots on an iPhone.

There is always someone in the crowd that has to make fun of new ideas.

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

soupcxan wrote:
Why not just use an iphone and take 1,000 shots and stack them?

...because they'd all be the same.

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

It sure isn't FF IQ, but you've squeezed the most out of the puny sensor.
I can't imagine it being worth the hassle unless that was just an exercise.
D8xx images are much easier to work with.

EBH

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:57 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

this same concept applies with astro, to make images even cleaner, however, it's a ton of work.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Here's Sample #2 with results from PhotoAcute added. There's no built-in profile for the Nikon 1 cameras so I used the D800E and Sigma 24-105mm profile, with LR/ACR-exported TIFFs as the input into PhotoAcute.

Full-sized images (8MP):
J4 (single exposure)
J4 (20-image stack)
D750 (single exposure)
J4 (20-image stack in PhotoAcute)

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Achieving FF IQ from Nikon 1 system

Does PhotoAcute look a little "crunchy" compared with ACR?

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.