Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Evangelos Makris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Hi all,

as weather is getting better in Greece, i am preparing for the upcoming Milky way season.
I am interested in buying a hiking 1-man tent and a nice sleeping pad.

To narrow down the options, the following would be important for the tent:

freestanding
3/4 seasons
budget: $150 max, including the footprint
a known brand would be nice

For the sleeping pad, i was thinking about a self inflating one.
I mostly drive near my camping locations, or some little hiking is involved.

What do you use?
Is my budget realistic?

Kind regards,
Evangelos

Mar 10, 2015 at 04:13 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Tents, like everything else, vary in price & quality. The nicer the workmanship / materials the higher the price. With that being said, the North Face Stormbreak is a decent 3 season tent...
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-stormbreak-1-tent-1-person-3-season?CMP_SKU=TNF00CP&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_BZR001&mv_pc=r111&003=7163333&010=TNF00CP&utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=CSE&mr:referralID=64fe518d-c70b-11e4-82f7-001b2166c2c0
As for self inflating pads get the thickest, largest you can find. If you can't get a nights rest the tent won't matter... Jim

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

MSR - http://www.camping-tent-reviews.com/msr-zoid-1.html

Therma-rest - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/prolite/product

I use both - they're good.

Mar 10, 2015 at 08:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

i just got myself a NF Tadpole 2. yes it is a 2 person tent but it is also 4lb7oz and component wise is quite compact it also has a optional footprint. i prefer a little room even solo to not elbow the sides of the tent and sit or move around. yes it is $300 but here in the US we do have 20% off sales

Mar 10, 2015 at 09:47 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

Does anyone have experience with the REI Passage 1 tent
or with the REI brand?

Evangelos

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:28 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

I have used a Eureka Backcountry 2 for many, many years. The little bit of extra space in a 2 man gives you a spot to keep your pack inside the tent at night and keep it off the sidewalls. These days I use an ENO hammock if there are any trees about. Much lighter, quicker to setup, and more comfortable.

Josh

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

This is what I have my eye on. They also have a wider model which I may consider to allow stowing stuff. I would be using this out of my pick up truck. This allows me to break camp each day and move on with little fuss.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Tent-Cot-Single/1591313.uts?
productVariantId=1633668&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-39657794-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50026329&rid=20

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:39 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Evangelos Makris wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

Does anyone have experience with the REI Passage 1 tent
or with the REI brand?

Evangelos

REI is ok - mid-range in quality, not comparable to North Face; OTOH, how much quality do you need and want to pay for?

what brands do you have available in the EU? I know there are some companies based there, but can't recall any names off-hand

a visit to a mountaineering shop might be helpful

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Whatever tent you choose make sure the rain fly goes all the way to the ground. Use elastic paracord to stretch and stake the rain fly as far away from the tent as you can. Make sure the footprint/ tarp is tucked under the tent so the rain does not pool under your tent, I use a space blanket. Tents with a vestibule leave a dry spot outside the tent to set muddy boots, just shake them out the next morning. Do not get a tent that has pockets where you must feed the poles through. I enjoy a 2 person tent for space to stow gear and clothing. Normally one two person tent is lighter than 2 one person tents, but for car camping, who cares. A Thermarest pad, air mattress, or even a Dollar Store windshield shade between you and the ground make all the difference.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:31 PM
Hersch
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Look at the Eureka brand. I have tried about 4 different solo tents and the problem I have is in the interior heights. I have probably had 20 different tents over the years but my favorite of all is the Timberline 2. It's about 6 lbs. but you have lots of room. They also have a solo with about 40" height in a small area. With a couple of the single man tents I couldn't even get my boots on without getting out of the tent. Not very good when it's pouring rain. The biggest inflatable mattress pad you can handle and also a good ground cover for putting down before the tent may save you some tent floor repairs later. My Timberline is 20 years old now and still in good shape. I have only replaced the shock cords in the poles. To keep it in good shape you have to take a little time in getting it cleaned up and dry before storing til the next use.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:15 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

The Eureka sounds very nice but 6 pounds is a lot to allocate to a tent if one is solo hiking.

David

Mar 11, 2015 at 08:55 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Wobble wrote:
Whatever tent you choose make sure the rain fly goes all the way to the ground. Use elastic paracord to stretch and stake the rain fly as far away from the tent as you can. Make sure the footprint/ tarp is tucked under the tent so the rain does not pool under your tent, I use a space blanket. Tents with a vestibule leave a dry spot outside the tent to set muddy boots, just shake them out the next morning. Do not get a tent that has pockets where you must feed the poles through. I enjoy a 2
...Show more

the problem is that different designs are better in different conditions

1. if the rain fly goes all the way to the ground, it protects better in storms, but ventilates less well and add wt.

2. I am a big vestibule fan for the reason stated but it also adds wt.; same for 2 person size, heavy duty construction, etc.

3. a tent that has pockets where you must feed the poles through is much stronger in storms, but is harder to set up -- all my winter tents have pole "pockets" for strength

the OP needs to think about how he'll use the tent, then decide

Mar 11, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

My plan is to drive to the mountains around New Moon,
set up the tent for the night, capture some nightscapes and leave the next morning.

The tent would be used April to October when weather conditions are mostly fine, and i would not travel to the destination if the forecast is not good.
(i know however that mountains are unpredictable)

I usually drive pretty close to the location, or maybe include some hiking.
One-man tents are my priority as i want to try longer hikes in the future.

I don't care much about the extra space as i keep my photography backpack in the car during sleep.
When i go camping for several days, i use my 3 person tent with my wife and baby daughter,
and all the other camping stuff.

Thanks for your time,
Evangelos

Mar 11, 2015 at 05:11 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

When you consider a one man tent, consider your gear. Tent sizes are based on your gear being outside, and that is not where I leave my camera.

Mar 11, 2015 at 05:43 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

With good weather, not winter, do you need a tent for just yourself? If you'll be out much of the night enjoying the sky, maybe just take a good sleeping bag, pad, and a tarp, and some good waterproof bags for sensitive gear.

David

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

re the above, you may need mosquito netting and may have concerns about dew formation, esp. on down sleeping bags

I suspect that won't be a biggie in Greece.

gear can go under a tarp

Mar 12, 2015 at 02:29 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

For a sleeping pad I'd be looking at Thermorest and Exped

Mar 12, 2015 at 06:41 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Evangelos Makris wrote:
One-man tents are my priority as i want to try longer hikes in the future.

I wouldn't bother with a 1 man tent then. Pick up a silnylon tarp or a pyramid tarp if you need a better weather protection. These are much lighter than any 1 man tents available and you will fully enjoy your nights out in the mountains. Check out Mountain Laurel Design's solomid ($210) and monk tarp ($100). You can use a polyolefin sheet as a footprint, works great.

Arnaud

Mar 13, 2015 at 03:48 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

Thank you very much for your suggestions and comments so far!

I will stick with my 1-man tent option for now, and will look closer
to the North Face, Eureka and Rei bands.

For the self-inflating sleeping pad, i will look at the Thermarest ones.

Kind regards,
Evangelos

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1-man tent and sleeping pad (hiking)

dgdg wrote:
The Eureka sounds very nice but 6 pounds is a lot to allocate to a tent if one is solo hiking.

David

You are right David, a single person tent should only be around 2lbs max.

Jim

Mar 15, 2015 at 01:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.