FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Eagles on the Rocks

Chris_88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eagles on the Rocks

I finally managed to get up close with the Steller's Sea Eagles in Northern Japan. I had initially planed to rent more serious gear, but since that didn't materialize, I went ahead and shot everything with my a77ii and 70-400G. In retrospect, that worked out reasonably well. Since I'm really a beginner as far as birding is concerned (five outings thus far), C&C is more than welcome.

I should have used a higher shutter speed here, but I still like this one quite a lot.

Here comes the hot stepper.

Fly by

King of the Hill

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:17 AM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eagles on the Rocks

I always enjoy images of this bird.....well done!!

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:07 AM
pwschladen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eagles on the Rocks

Nice set Chis,
The first two are my favourites.

Il like your title too - I had said to my wife yesterday that I should have called my set "Herons on the rocks" instead of Herons on the Chesapeake. There was still plenty of ice around yesterday when I took the second set, but not in the pics so I missed the boat on that one.

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:14 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eagles on the Rocks

Exciting stuff Chris .. glad it all worked out for you in the end and you have some fine shots to show for it. I must put this in my diary for next Winter now !

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:53 AM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eagles on the Rocks

Interesting eagle. You've captured a nice variety of action and static. I especially like the second...the perspective and expression.

Brian M.

Mar 09, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eagles on the Rocks

JimLittle wrote:
I always enjoy images of this bird.....well done!!

Thank you.

pwschladen wrote:
Nice set Chis,
The first two are my favourites.

Il like your title too - I had said to my wife yesterday that I should have called my set "Herons on the rocks" instead of Herons on the Chesapeake. There was still plenty of ice around yesterday when I took the second set, but not in the pics so I missed the boat on that one.

Thanks, I actually find your title more creative than mine .

Frogfish wrote:
Exciting stuff Chris .. glad it all worked out for you in the end and you have some fine shots to show for it. I must put this in my diary for next Winter now !

Thanks for praise. I have many pics that are still waiting to be selected and edited. Thanks again for all the good advice. I'm glad that I decided to go with my existing gear. A handholdable setup was the right choice. I guess that day the biggest piece of glass that I saw were a Canon 300 2.8 or a Tamron 150-600. In fact, I was quite lucky, one day after I came back, a blizzard knocked out most public transport. For whatever reason, there have been far more blizzards than usually in Hokkaido this year. Not sure about next year, but that's something to keep in mind for your trip.

brimull wrote:
Interesting eagle. You've captured a nice variety of action and static. I especially like the second...the perspective and expression.

Brian M.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Mar 09, 2015 at 05:23 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eagles on the Rocks

Very nicely done Chris. It's 3 for me ~ Ron

Mar 09, 2015 at 06:54 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eagles on the Rocks

These are a delight to view Chris

Morris

Mar 09, 2015 at 06:55 PM
jkochuni
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eagles on the Rocks

Beautiful captures. The last image is especially gorgeous!

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:52 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eagles on the Rocks

Now that's something different!!
Nice.

Al

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:57 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eagles on the Rocks

Cool bird species ! I love the huge beak on this eagle species. I hope to see more of them from you.

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:52 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eagles on the Rocks

You did a great job with these, showing off the 70/400 and how sharp it is and also its sometimes funky bokeh.

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:57 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eagles on the Rocks

surfnron wrote:
Very nicely done Chris. It's 3 for me ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

morris wrote:
These are a delight to view Chris

Morris

Thank you, praise from veteran birders makes me particularly happy.

jkochuni wrote:
Beautiful captures. The last image is especially gorgeous!

Thank you.

kbarrera wrote:
Now that's something different!!
Nice.

Al

Thank you.

Herb Houghton wrote:
Cool bird species ! I love the huge beak on this eagle species. I hope to see more of them from you.

Thank you, Herb. I really like these big birds. They are even more impressive in real life. I hope to find the time to upload more pictures soon.

mogul wrote:
You did a great job with these, showing off the 70/400 and how sharp it is and also its sometimes funky bokeh.

Thank you. I have to admit that I only noticed the slightly funky bokeh at second glance. I was more concerned with getting the birds in focus, but you're right, there are certainly better lenses for bokeh (to my eyes, the 70-300G can look better than the 70-400G quite often).

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:12 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.