Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

Looking at the p0, they have one without any clamp attached:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658802-REG/Arca_Swiss_801211_Monoball_P0_with_Panning.html

It also says:
1/4"-20 Camera Screw
1/4"-20 to 3/8"-16 Bushing

In my research I've seen people talk about length of screw and scratching the actual ball, as well as people talking about bolting on a head ()

I find all this very confusing. Do I need to be very selective in terms of which clamp will actually fit with this?

Looking at some random clamps - do these attach to the p0 very cleanly/clearly? Is something additional needed - or needed to be done to the attachment?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844400-REG/Acratech_1144_Quick_Release_Locking_Lever.html

And this one:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Lever-Release-Clamps/B2-LR-II-Lever-release-clamp.html
Why should you invest in a quick-release system? Because screwing your camera or lens onto a platform with standard ¼"-20 screw is tedious and insecure. Not only is it a hassle to screw your gear onto that platform, but once installed the camera or lens is free to rotate; there's nothing to prevent it from coming loose.

Mar 08, 2015 at 08:33 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

It appears that either of the clamps you have listed will attach without issues....

I have no knowledge of the first one you list...but love the second one (RRS) as I have several
of that model in use.

It appears that you will end up using the step up bushing, so I would recommend using
some type of loctite on it

In the long run...why not just get the version with the clamp already mounted?? It's only
a few dollars difference.....and its already setup for you

Mar 09, 2015 at 12:33 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

I have exactly that combo. You use the 1/4-3/8 bushing screwed into the hole of the RRS clamp and then screw that combo onto the 1/4 screw on the top of the P0. Use blue Loctite. Arca makes it quite difficult to remove any factory pre-installed clamp and I've heard various negative comments about Arca clamps (maybe just their flip-lever?)

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

not a real fan of the P0 because it just doesn't seem to add any real advantages to the standard ballhead design. again a design exercise. a one trick pony
look at the acratech GP which gives you the modularity to play the game multiple ways.

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:55 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

sjms wrote:
not a real fan of the P0 because it just doesn't seem to add any real advantages to the standard ballhead design. again a design exercise. a one trick pony
look at the acratech GP which gives you the modularity to play the game multiple ways.

I actually have the GP at home trying out on a rental basis and had a chance to play with the p0. Unfortunately couldn't test them side-by-side.

I did like the single control/more compactness of the p0. Yes the GP can be inverted and work in the same way with panning up top but the p0 is built that way from the start.

I don't know honestly playing with the p0 I was impressed. But sure it's not the same open design like the GP which could maybe cause some problems around sand/saltwater/etc.

I found that putting the GP on my tripod head had a lot of things sticking out - it's generally small and light but has a bunch of things sticking out and large for what it ultimately is in my opinion

Mar 09, 2015 at 04:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

The Acratech to me of those to is a more effective option. but then options are an individuals choice. I have used the P0 and as I said a nice design exercise and that's about all to me.

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:40 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

sjms wrote:
The Acratech to me of those to is a more effective option. but then options are an individuals choice. I have used the P0 and as I said a nice design exercise and that's about all to me.

Curious WHY you say acratech over the P0?

The P0 is a great compact form factor, seems easy to quickly adjust whereas the acratech is also a really unique design. The open design is nice though I've never had an issue with grit in the head (knock on wood!) plus the P0 is at least upside down.

The acratec is neat but large for what it actually is plus all the knobs that stick out?

It'd be nice to have BOTH except I'm looking at them for identical purposes, so I think there is only room for one...

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:47 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

I have the P0 and I think it is great. The single hand control from any angle is very handy. I prefer it to my regular Arca ball head (Z1) and my former Acratech Ultimate. It folds up nicely inside the legs of travel tripods yet is solid enough for a Sony FE 70-200. It is a relative steal compared to the Acratch options.

I bought the P0 without the Arca clamp as well. The new clamp does not fit well with conventional plates. Were I to do it again, I would buy the model with the classic arca clamp. I bought a Sunwayphoto clamp which is Ok but not the same craftsmanship. I should put some loctite on there too.

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:48 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

jharter wrote:
I bought the P0 without the Arca clamp as well. The new clamp does not fit well with conventional plates. Were I to do it again, I would buy the model with the classic arca clamp. I bought a Sunwayphoto clamp which is Ok but not the same craftsmanship. I should put some loctite on there too.

It does seem they offer it with the classic arca-swiss plate style:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029548-REG/arca_swiss_801215_monoball_p0_with_fliplock.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013734-REG/arca_swiss_801_214_monoball_po_ballhead_with.html

though I know nothing about those specific clamps vs some of the other well-regarded ones. The fact it seems to be built for that head is at least somewhat nice... the clamps are at about $115 premium over the clampless one...

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Curious WHY you say acratech over the P0?

The P0 is a great compact form factor, seems easy to quickly adjust whereas the acratech is also a really unique design. The open design is nice though I've never had an issue with grit in the head (knock on wood!) plus the P0 is at least upside down.

The acratec is neat but large for what it actually is plus all the knobs that stick out?

It'd be nice to have BOTH except I'm looking at them for identical purposes, so I think there is only room for one...

people like their tools for various reasons. i like mine for their versatility (modularity) and robustness. now i don't own either of the two you are looking at because i don't see any real advantage to either. but have used both. the P0 is as i said a one trick pony. its one an only real advantage is that it has a panning base on top. ok that's easily done on many a head. it does have a uniqueness factor which as a technician i get over fairly quickly once i get back to work. as to the GP i did own a ultimate and that lasted 2 months of awkward operation before it went out the door. now the GP is a more refined design. as to the grit factor it is more urban legend as to its superior operation. i have 3 of RRS models ballheads and the two smaller ones have been to enough places to require their own passports. never had an operational issue and its been more years then i like to admit. as to the big 55 head i have one of the original 10 produced. and it too has seen considerable domestic north American action and has been off the continent a few times too.

remember this is just my take. your work, your tools are to your taste. that is why you have what you have as choices.

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:26 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

I bought both the Arca-Swiss p0 and the Acratech GP and ended up keeping the GP as a lightweight alternative to my RRS BH-55. Using both over the course of two weeks, I found the GP to be more versatile for my usage. They're both useful for shooting panos (though not nearly as good as my RRS PG-02), but the GP is more usable for everything else. The single control style of the p0 is an interesting design, but it's not any more user-friendly than the traditional control scheme of the GP. Ultimately, I think the p0 is a solution looking for a problem. It's not as good as a dedicated pano head for pano shooting and it's no better than your average ball head for regular use.

To your original question, I'd go with the RRS clamp if you want a lever release or the Acratech if you want a screw knob (I prefer the shorter throw of the Acratech screw clamp, though I have the RRS screw clamp on my BH-55).

Josh

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

JoshI wrote:
I bought both the Arca-Swiss p0 and the Acratech GP and ended up keeping the GP as a lightweight alternative to my RRS BH-55. Using both over the course of two weeks, I found the GP to be more versatile for my usage. They're both useful for shooting panos (though not nearly as good as my RRS PG-02), but the GP is more usable for everything else. The single control style of the p0 is an interesting design, but it's not any more user-friendly than the traditional control scheme of the GP. Ultimately, I think the p0 is a solution
...Show more

Oh boy, not exactly helpful! I keep bouncing back+forth between the two options. The acratech GP definitely negates any ability to use a tripod with fold-back legs that extend beyond the center column due to the size of the GP. The P0 meanwhile is much more likely to be able to deal with that.

Can I ask in which ways you found the GP to be more versatile? In what ways did you find it more functional/a better option over the GP?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

I bought a p0 without a clamp a few years ago. I already had an older RRS B2-40 lever release clamp. Added that to the head with some Loctite 242 (commonly referred to as blue) on the screw, and have lived happily ever after.

I use this setup on a travel tripod where the legs fold back. Love it. Never wished I bought anything else.

The larger B2-AS II clamp might be a little bit large for this head. Also note that the clamps come in two mounting styles - 1/4"-20 or M6. While intuitively you'd think the 1/4"-20 was correct, you want the M6 version.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Lever-Release-Clamps/B2-40-LR-M6-Lever-release-clamp.html

Here's a detailed article about installing your own clamp on a p0:
http://dallascenterforphotography.com/blog/arca-swiss-p0-head-modify-diy-rrs-clamp/

If you have the right socket wrench, it's an easy 5 minute job.

Edited on Mar 10, 2015 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

that is type 242 243

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

that is type 242 243

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:41 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

When I first got the P0 I was coming from a regular Arca Z1 ball head. At first, I was not that impressed and would have agreed with the "solution looking for a problem" comment. However, with continued use I have come to appreciate it.

The single control is very easy to use. I never need to pan the entire head to get the controls in the proper orientation because this head is always ready. Using my entire hand to rotate the tensioning knob allows for better feel and more precise control over tension than when using two fingers on a conventional head. The built in pano plate on the top is very handy. I use it with a RRS pano rail for easy to generate pano sequences. Remarkably, the Arca P0 is about the cheapest alternative for a quality ball head. For about the same money as a RRS BH-40 with pano plate you could buy the Arca P0 with the classic Arca clamp plus a RRS pano rail.

Mar 10, 2015 at 04:24 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

@sjms - I was looking at too many classic cars this morning and typed 442 instead of 242.

Mar 10, 2015 at 04:59 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Oh boy, not exactly helpful! I keep bouncing back+forth between the two options. The acratech GP definitely negates any ability to use a tripod with fold-back legs that extend beyond the center column due to the size of the GP. The P0 meanwhile is much more likely to be able to deal with that.

I can't help you there, that was not one of my criteria when deciding between the p0 and the GP. I do not care for that type of tripod design.

Can I ask in which ways you found the GP to be more versatile? In what ways did you find it more functional/a better option over the GP?

I found it easier to control ball tension with the GP, I dislike the panning control on the p0, and the GP can be used with my Wimberley Sidekick in a pinch. The p0 also lacks markings on the panning base, which I use for composing pano shots. Overall, I think the p0 is a nice head, but I don't find it to have any true advantages over a standard ball head with a panning clamp or the GP. I wouldn't want either the p0 or GP as my only ball head, for the things I shoot. That said, a GP on an appropriately sized tripod with a Sidekick and a nodal slide makes for a very lightweight, versatile travel setup.

Josh

Mar 10, 2015 at 05:08 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

Mr Joe wrote:
I bought a p0 without a clamp a few years ago. I already had an older RRS B2-40 lever release clamp. Added that to the head with some Loctite 242 (commonly referred to as blue) on the screw, and have lived happily ever after.

I use this setup on a travel tripod where the legs fold back. Love it. Never wished I bought anything else.

The larger B2-AS II clamp might be a little bit large for this head. Also note that the clamps come in two mounting styles - 1/4"-20 or M6. While intuitively you'd think the 1/4"-20 was correct,
...Show more

I'm sort of confused about that second writeup - I thought the whole idea of the clamp-less option was so that you could mount other clamps to it? The first paragraph seems to mention that it was the clamp version that was bought, but then later on/the updates seem to indicate even the one without the clamp needed the screw removed?

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Putting a clamp on the Arca-Swiss p0?

The version that you buy without a clamp has a 1/4"-20 stud in the center (facing up). That would be for mounting your camera directly to the head.

In order to install the RRS clamp, the stud gets removed. Then the M6 screw goes down through the top of the clamp into the head (the hole where the stud used to be).

Mar 10, 2015 at 07:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.