Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A couple using natural window light.

Disaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple using natural window light.

Here's a couple more of my favorite model, using natural window light. C&C welcome.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WiK5t4no4YY/VPu03o2cADI/AAAAAAAADWA/CRSG6MHZDFg/s800/DSC_3862ps2rs.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7ODbpltJvPI/VP5hM1_yBDI/AAAAAAAADYA/zH3lrrAFu4E/s800/DSC_3234psN3transform2.jpg

Both were taken with D810, 85mm Sigma F1.4 and 85mm Nikon F1.8 respectively.

Edited on Mar 09, 2015 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:58 PM
plsand
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple using natural window light.

Hi -
Sorry, but I am not finding these to not be sharp - I an sure that the camera, and lens combination that you are using could, and would do better - Nice subject, and nice light -
Paul

Mar 09, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple using natural window light.

plsand wrote:
Hi -
Sorry, but I am not finding these to not be sharp - I an sure that the camera, and lens combination that you are using could, and would do better - Nice subject, and nice light -
Paul

Maybe it is the size you are seeing it at but both are plenty sharp. With portraits one has to be very careful with sharpening. They can end up unflattering really fast. Here are some 1 to 1 crops. The second shot was taken wide open so there is a very narrow DOF.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Kh8F2kRC73k/VP2_nmskOeI/AAAAAAAADWw/0mUu5fG0maM/s800/DSC_3862ps2.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eHJJU8HEKRc/VP3AE37W_wI/AAAAAAAADW4/ErXPeL9N9x0/s800/DSC_3234crop.jpg

P.S. I just picked up a 12x18 print of the first one. It came out great. I had only intended on printing it at 8x12 but must have made the wrong selection.

Mar 09, 2015 at 10:50 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple using natural window light.

Nice portraits. I find the lighting to be a little flat. My main critique would be to remind you that in any headshot, a well defined jaw line is extremely important (and makes for a much more flattering photo). As such, the angle is too low in the second shot for a good jaw line and to "cover" the neck. And as you can see, in the first shot, the jaw line is lost in the exposure near the chin. I hope this helps.

Mar 09, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple using natural window light.

elliotkramer wrote:
Nice portraits. I find the lighting to be a little flat. My main critique would be to remind you that in any headshot, a well defined jaw line is extremely important (and makes for a much more flattering photo). As such, the angle is too low in the second shot for a good jaw line and to "cover" the neck. And as you can see, in the first shot, the jaw line is lost in the exposure near the chin. I hope this helps.

Great advice. Thank you.

Mar 09, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple using natural window light.

elliotkramer wrote:

Took your advice with a PS edit. Next time I need to focus on getting this right originally because this really taxed my PS skills. I doctored 2nd shot in original post directly.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZdrJAFFdhyw/VP5IkCSouuI/AAAAAAAADXc/iV4saIk-0_Y/s1200/DSC_3862ps11.jpg

Thanks for sharing tips.

Edited on Mar 09, 2015 at 10:30 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:11 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple using natural window light.

I like your edit. You are right though, it's much easier to get that separation with lighting and positioning when you take the shot. There is a technique that works well - instruct the model to push her forehead a little toward the camera. That makes her jut her jaw out a bit without being very obvious. It accentuates the jaw line and also tightens the neck a bit. It is a tricky maneuver, but you'd be surprised what a difference it makes. Seasoned headshot photographers say, "It's all in the eyes, the jaw, and the chin."

Mar 09, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple using natural window light.

elliotkramer wrote:
I like your edit. You are right though, it's much easier to get that separation with lighting and positioning when you take the shot. There is a technique that works well - instruct the model to push her forehead a little toward the camera. That makes her jut her jaw out a bit without being very obvious. It accentuates the jaw line and also tightens the neck a bit. It is a tricky maneuver, but you'd be surprised what a difference it makes. Seasoned headshot photographers say, "It's all in the eyes, the jaw, and the chin."

Yes. I'm pretty familiar with instructing this model in those techniques and she has heard those instructions about moving the head forward, tilting the chin down, etc, so many times she could instruct someone else. :-) She isn't a professional, but still my favorite to photograph.

In this case, I'm more to blame. As the photographer I need to understand and be in control of the light. When I positioned her, I should have sat her lower. The window light comes in at too low an angle for the desired shadow effect. The snow reflecting so much light in an upward direction and the lower winter sun also contributed. Another solution might have been to block off the lower part of the window. Lisa Holloway described how she did that with the light coming into her garage studio.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1342693/0

"It is garage light, but I modify it a bit by hanging a black piece of fabric along the bottom 3-4 feet of the garage opening and clamping it to the edges. I do this to prevent up lighting caused by the reflection of the sun from the driveway"

Thanks again.

Mar 10, 2015 at 06:41 AM
Pepe Guitarra
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A couple using natural window light.

plsand wrote:
Hi -
Sorry, but I am not finding these to not be sharp ........-
Paul

Double negation; you are finding them sharp!!!

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:24 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.