Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · First time published in local paper

Trevorma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · First time published in local paper

The whole free pictures aside thing cause once you give something away it is nearly impossible to get money next time, people will just stick with the images you gave them rather than buy new ones and when you won't do it for free there are 500 others willing to, and post their shots on flickr as well............. a couple of bits of advice:

1) Get a website up and going. I know a lot of folks that just use facebook or flickr for their photo hosting, they are also the same ones who reply to craigslist posts asking for Photogs to donate their time. You can have a Zenfolio account (I only use it as an example as I use Zenfolio) for around a $100 USD a year and a web domain name for $15 USD a year (maybe cheaper)..... that $115 goes a long way to making you look a bit more pro then the next guy.

2) Put some money in to marketing what you want to do. Instead of giving the pictures away (honest question: how many people check who took the photos in the paper aside from us Photographers?) why not spend some money getting your name out there?

You have a 1DX, 70-200 IS II lens (presumably more given the landscapes on your flickr stream, which are quite good I might add), sink a bit of cash in to getting your name out there......

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:39 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · First time published in local paper

clarence3 wrote:
Dave's photo:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/16132966834_3880aea42b_c_d.jpg

on flickr on the lower-right next to the photo there's a down-arrow download icon, then click view all sizes, then click the size you want

Right-click copy the static link it gives you for "download this photo". That jpg link is what you want to paste between IMG tags here.

Thanks clarence3 ...

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:22 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · First time published in local paper

Trevorma wrote:
The whole free pictures aside thing cause once you give something away it is nearly impossible to get money next time, people will just stick with the images you gave them rather than buy new ones and when you won't do it for free there are 500 others willing to, and post their shots on flickr as well............. a couple of bits of advice:

1) Get a website up and going. I know a lot of folks that just use facebook or flickr for their photo hosting, they are also the same ones who reply to craigslist posts asking for Photogs
...Show more

Thanks Trevorma.... Yes I have been thinking about the web site idea for a while... even so far as to do the build your own on GoDaddy... just haven't gotten to the point of having enough experience and / or quality images.... There was a point 2 years ago that I started with a SmugMig account to sell "posters" I was making... I was doing a few here and there for local players, but then I got hurt at work and had to put the whole thing on the back burner due to my injuries... I am just now starting to recover from most of the injuries, but my back is still a major problem.... so for that reason I am a little hesitant on making a commitment to starting a "full time business" if you will.... I would hate to get it going and then not be able to make commitments because of back pain.... another reason for not starting up again is we are going to be moving after my son graduates high school in June.... so it might be wiser to wait to relocate and start fresh then... BUT... I still have the desire to try.... and probably will soon....

thanks again for the suggestions and critique.... it all HELPS ! ! !

Dave

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · First time published in local paper

clarence3 wrote:
Dave's photo:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/16132966834_3880aea42b_c_d.jpg

on flickr on the lower-right next to the photo there's a down-arrow download icon, then click view all sizes, then click the size you want

Right-click copy the static link it gives you for "download this photo". That jpg link is what you want to paste between IMG tags here.

Clarence3... OK... I am a complete computer idiot... I tried to do what you instructed... BUT... I still didn't get the photo to embed in the post.... It still just showed the hyperlink to the photo... I know i am missing something... would you please clarify the instructions for me... I am trying to do what you did when you posted "Daves Picture" in your post...

thanks again... Dave

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · First time published in local paper

Nevermind... Looks like I figured it out... thanks...Dave

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/16132966834_3880aea42b_z_d.jpg

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM
kylehess10
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · First time published in local paper

1adam-12 wrote:
Well i don't know... nobody asked me.... but I am not concerned as maybe this will open a door for me... the sports editor has contacted me via e-mail and asked that i send him pics from future games as "courtesy of" photos... I'm game so I agreed.... I see it as it gets me started, some exposure, and some experience.... maybe... just maybe it might lead to some paying gigs.... and back to your question, I am assuming since i "gave"it to the parent... and then the parent then "gave" it to the paper, that's how they were given
...Show more

I cringed reading this and your initial post. In my opinion, they're just taking advantage of you. They already published your photo without permission or compensation, and now they want more...for free. I would reconsider sending them anything without some type of compensation. You deserve a simple game-rate if you're sending them photos to publish.

And by the way, it's an AWESOME photo. That's why I say ask for compensation before sending more. That photo alone should give the paper an idea that you have quality work and an eye for good timing. They don't need more photos for free to prove that you can take good photos.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:07 AM
picboy
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · First time published in local paper

good luck on the new career effort. sort of agree with others. look at it as a hobby and don't expect much else--that way you won't get frustrated when you realize you end up in the hole--especially including gas, equipment and your time. if it's a hobby, then you can moderate your expenses to match your budget. making $25 per newspaper photo won't ever pay for a new 400 2.8. the upscale papers in your area already have pro staff for local events and probably use wires for pro sports. they might take a parent 'contributed' pic now and then, usually for no compensation, of a kids championship game.

all the talk of demanding compensation, being taken advantage of, rights to photos doesn't amount to much. if someone can just show up with a dlsr and build a reasonable sports editorial business, there would be 100's of parents shoving you out of the way trying to get the gigs. it doesn't exist.

basically you are excited to see your picture 'published' in the local paper and that is your "pay". If that works for you, fine. That local will still keep the overworked photographer or more likely have the writers take pictures for their stories and they'll welcome your freebies.

if you decided to build a kids/parents business or do weddings, then may be you can make a few bucks. anyway good luck and have fun. that's what we are here for.

Mar 15, 2015 at 01:27 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · First time published in local paper

Yep, what Paul said. It will be tough to get help from pros on a forum like this if you continue down the path you're on.

How do you get in with your local paper and become a paid freelancer for them? Just like most other ways of getting into the door in photography, you create a portfolio of your best work and present it to them. If they like it and want you to shoot for them, you then negotiate a price. In this case, the bar has already been set if they used the baseball image, so that's a step in the right direction. But you can explain the details all you want and it doesn't change what others have said...the paper knows exactly what they're doing and they are taking advantage of you. If the paper making money (or trying to)? If they're in business to make money--which we can assume they are--they should be paying for content.

Years ago they use to have more than a half dozen staff photographers at our local newspaper (circulation of about 35k). Over the years they've whittled it down to (I think) one, dedicated full-time photog. There are a couple other people who can shoot, but they are multitasking and doing more than just photography. I've seen their sports and feature writers out covering an event and also shooting (and they're usually struggling).

When I started freelancing for them about 15 years ago, I took in a CD of images and talked with the photo editor and waited. About two months later they called, we agreed on a price and I started shooting for them. Originally, I was getting paid for each image published and they usually ran a couple, sometimes three. After a couple of years I moved to a flat shooting rate. It was barely worth the time and energy I put into it. The last few years I no longer shoot for them, in large part because I was too busy shooting other things, but also in part because I know they found shooters like the OP who would do it for free or next to nothing.

The thing most of these new freelancers don't understand is the importance of shooting under deadline. I've seen some of these guys at the same events I've shot (for other clients) and they are struggling to meet deadline. At one event, the sports reporter asked me if I could send them images so they would have it in time; their "free" photographer was nearly in tears trying to sort and caption images. I will always remember the sports reporter saying, "we'll pay you whatever you want if you can get us something." Granted, some of these smaller papers are weekly publications and the deadlines are the same as a daily, but I'm always amazed at the number of people who get into this work without having an ounce of knowledge or understanding of working on deadline as a photojournalist.

It's already established that they like your work and want you to shoot for them. It would only make sense that you get paid for future photos.

PS - On a side note, I'm curious about the image you posted. Did they run it like that? It's REALLY loose. Again, if you're doing photojournalism work, you really need to be able to send them images that are ready to go into print immediately, without someone in the newsroom cropping and processing the images, or calling you to find out how to ID people in the image. Again, I know of some smaller papers who agree to do that, but as a PJ, you will make yourself more marketable if publications know you can send them images they don't have to do anything to before they are used.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · First time published in local paper

Can't get any more spot on than Mr. Sewell who has vast experience in this area. I don't choose to go the route of PJ work, although I have done some and have certainly been around it constantly. And Scott is right... it has become NOT how big and great your camera is, but more about how small and quick devices need to be running photo mechanic.

That's the part that always steered me away and leave me questioning why ANYONE would want to do it. You have shoot quick, edit quick, caption quick, transmit quick... all before the second half starts. All for the chance of a wire picking up an image or two for 15 bucks a pop. I just didn't get why anyone wanted to do that.

Mar 17, 2015 at 04:13 PM
picboy
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · First time published in local paper

Why? Really.....
1. free hot dog at halftime
2. work next to cute cheerleaders who aren't paid anything either
3. get hit by foul balls, pucks, or run over by receivers in full pads knowing you can't afford medical--which probably won't cover you anyway given what you are doing
4. argue with parking security on why you really should be allowed to park for free
5. wonder how long that 400 2.8 will take to clear off the credit card--hopefully before a new model comes out
6. seeing some other guys image running on the front page of ESPN eventhough you have the same shot--not that you would make anything anyway
......the list goes on

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · First time published in local paper

Dave....you've received some top notch feedback and advice here and depending on what you say...how you say it and where it is said...you will receive a lot of different opinions, advice, criticisms and what not. You have to go through it all and see what side of the fence you want to be on.

You asked how else could you get noticed. Well it does happen and I’ll put it there with the same analogy of the quote in the movie Field of Dreams….build it and they will come - so I’ll offer my story.

Years ago I was the president of a Little League and it was about the time I started to get serious about sports photography. So I had a venue where I could practice and enhance my skills and make contacts and practice.

As time went on I got better and so did my gear. After I left Little League my youngest son played baseball and football for his school team and he also did travel baseball that gave me more opportunities for me to practice. All this time I basically kept to myself and really didn't advertise anything because frankly...I didn't think I was where I needed to be skill wise to charge and sell my work. I knew eventually some day I wanted to make $$$ taking pictures but I knew it wasn’t then and I didn’t want to ruin any reputation for selling crappy work so I knew the timing wasn’t right.

When my son was a sophomore in HS his coach asked if I wanted to do the T&I for the entire baseball program (Jr. High to Varsity) and he also allowed me access to the dugout area and also field access to shoot action shots.

Then one day I out of the blue I was approached by the head photographer for one of the local papers who asked if I'd be interested in doing some freelance sports assignments for them and wanted to know if we could meet after the game and we could discuss everything and he would give me all the details on the compensation….deadlines…everything I needed to know.

That was about 7 years ago and right now it's like a part time job without having to work an 8-hour day. In fact within the last year there were 2 permanent photographer positions that opened but I didn't apply because I'm also recently retired and thought why do I want to get back into working 8 or more hours a day. Currently I can either accept or decline an assignment and if I accept it I'm done afterwards. And I do it all from my home office. So if I want to edit pics in my underwear with a beer...so be it ☺. And over the years…I eventually got into covering news assignments, entertainment, feature articles…just about everything the newspaper covers.

But never has it been for FREE. I won't get rich shooting for the paper but it has been so much of a rewarding and fun experience for me.

I've met so many great people....shot some amazing athletes..... got many other paid gigs as a result of this. But as Scott indicated...there are pressures of deadlines. And if you leave your editor hanging and not deliver your product to them on time....you may not get a 2nd chance. Paul also hit it where you could be a top notch photographer with the best gear but if you lack what it takes to be a reliable professional....you might be out on your butt.

With the various downsizing of many newspapers and medial outlets….I feel fortunate that I am able to what I do. And as I indicated I won't get right....I'm living a dream in my eyes. I feel have the respect an friendship of other local photographers for the other publications and the publication I shoot for because of the qualities and standards I was fortunate to learn right here on FM.

By having access to that information by those who were experienced on that area reminded me not to ruffle any feathers, undercut anyone, always be respectful to everyone from the subjects, my peers, officials, coordinators...whoever I came in contact with. And I’m not saying FM was 100% responsible for that….it’s pretty much my way of doing business but FM re-enforced these qualities.

And I consider myself lucky that what happened in my case…happened that way. But if one needs to get the attention of an editor to other photographers or someone that may be the one to help you get noticed or get your foot in the door….FREE isn’t the way to go.

Top quality captioned portfolios have been existence and used for some time. A quality portfolio with your best stuff will do more for you than sending a picture in of a certain event or game. A variety of different sports, news, portrait shots will show someone you can shoot different things and back this with a resume /cover page with what you are looking for. Explaining your experience in PS, LR, PM…

An editor is an editor for a reason. Give them something professional looking. Maintain a frequency of contact with them with your portfolio and give them something different each time.

Seriously….I hope you get an opportunity to do what you want to do. I just retired after 35 years in the Nuclear Power Industry and my last 10 years…..I hated going to work every day. Doing something you enjoy and have a passion for is a great feeling and a feeling of accomplishment and self worth.

Good luck in your quest
Frank

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM
1adam-12
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · First time published in local paper

Frank Lauri wrote:
Dave....you've received some top notch feedback and advice here and depending on what you say...how you say it and where it is said...you will receive a lot of different opinions, advice, criticisms and what not. You have to go through it all and see what side of the fence you want to be on.

You asked how else could you get noticed. Well it does happen and I’ll put it there with the same analogy of the quote in the movie Field of Dreams….build it and they will come - so I’ll offer my story.

Years ago I was the
...Show more

Frank... thanks for the story, info and support.... its greatly appreciated.... heres my story...

I am a recently retired police sergeant for my home town police department. I didn't retire because I wanted to, I had to due to injury... had my back, shoulder and hand injured fighting with a 6'5" 175lb 19 year old high on LSD, methamphetamine, marijuana, and alcohol.... VERY volatile combination.... gave him a combination of strength, stamina, tolerance to pain, and inhibition... I won the battle, but ultimately lost the war and was medically retired out...

Photography... I got my passion for photography in JR high school in the 70's.... kept it thru high school and eventually lost it for a while... found the passion again after the birth of my first child... then really got back into it slowly when my kids started playing sports... first my daughter in softball then my son in baseball.... got my first point and shoot DIGITAL camera in the late 90's and eventually started to move up thru the ranks of equipment starting with the Canon 10d (I think that's what it was back then) to where i am now with the Canon 1dx.... I basically had to retrain myself in the knowledge of photography all over again... taking some adult education classes , online video classes (YouTube is great for that) and forums like these... I think I am to a point now where i am getting proficient... I would rate myself a upper intermediate maybe lower advanced in skill and knowledge level right now... and I am learning everyday...

As the years went on, I started to get better and better taking pictures of my kids playing their sports.... eventually the parents of my kids friends would ask me to take a few of their kids, and i obliged them... eventually the parents of all the kids on the team would ask for pictures, and of course i would oblige them too... after all, this was my HOBBY and I was getting a LOT of enjoyment in taking the pictures.... eventually I became the "team photographer" for whatever team my kid was on.... still not ever thinking of making money doing his, just enjoying the time with my kids and my hobby... what more could you ask for huh

as the years went on, I started to get parents form other teams asking me to take pictures of their kids now too.... Now this is getting to be somewhat of a "job" ... so being someone that cant say no, I did that too.... however, I now would ask for a token payment for the time i was putting into this... I would ONLY shoot kids that my kids team was playing against (not going to another game just to shoot pictures) and I would burn a cd of the other kids and give to the parent for $25... some parents got a few dozen shots... some several dozen... depending on the playing time of the kids.... no post processing... no editing... just the raw shots... good or bad... that went on for a few years thru the lower ranks of softball and baseball... i collected (cant say I made.. ) a few hundred bucks doing this.... probably paid for part of 1 of my lenses that way...

As the years went on, I started to teach myself Photoshop... and started making "posters" of my kids for their rooms and my office at work... they were pretty plain and simple at first using "templates" i got off the internet... but my kids loved them.... eventually I got proficient in Photoshop and started to make more advance posters with images cutout, blended and composited.... This all started around the lime my daughter started playing high school softball and my son was in little league majors...

Well, as you would know it, the other kids on the teams and their parents would see my posters and guess what, now they wanted one too.... so, i started to make posters for the other kids now too.... I started out small using a Pixma printer (got it free with the purchase of I think my 50d or another Cannon camera I upgraded too) and charging the parents a relatively small amount (I think it was $30-$40 each for an 11x19 print) and was selling about 20-30 of these a season ( could be more... could be less... I really don't remember).... well, wouldn't you know it... that started to take off too.... now this hobby is starting to be a second job... ya know...

so, I made a few buck and decided to get me a real printer and bought a canon 44" wide format... got a business license and started to market myself locally.... still not going to other games for the purpose of taking pictures... just shooting the games my kids played in.... I also got a laminator and started to make posters up to 36x48 but mainly focused on 24x36.... I also teamed up with a friend (who is the freelance photographer for the local paper) ... he shots photos for the local speedway flat track series in town at our fairgrounds every summer... he shot (I did too on occasion) and I set up a booth at the track offering pictures form 8x10 to 40x60 on paper and canvas ... we did this for 2 1/2 years and did VERY well..... things were going pretty good and I was actually starting to build a little bit of a side business.....

Then the wheels fell off.... I got hurt at work and everything came to a screeching halt.... I couldn't do my "side business" while injured (both because of the injuries and the fact i was ordered not to by my bosses and doctors) ... I was in and out of doctors offices for almost 3 years... had a total of 4 surgeries (going for a 5th in May) and was eventually forced to retire.... didn't shoot for over a year (missed shooting half my sons sophomore year and all of his junior year)... I eventually healed up enough to get back to an almost normal life and started to shoot regularly again this year (varsity baseball season)...

which brings me to the here and now... the picture i took that started this thread was NEVER meant to go to the local paper.... the parent (of the catcher) I gave it to sent it in to the local paper and they printed it.... and ya, it was pretty cool to have my photo on the entire front page of the local paper.... granted its only local... but pretty cool anyways.... so I got to thinking, MAYBE... just MAYBE I could parlay this into getting paid here and there for my photos.... NEVER did I envision making it some kind of photo journalist full time job.... you know, sell a photo here and there.... but what I was REALLY hopping to do is get "affiliated" with the paper that would lead to me being able to get "credentialed" at sporting events... not the NBA, NFL or MLB (though that would be cool too) .. but the local events that would get me access to areas of the events... I could use this "access" if you will to restart the "business" i had going and now that my kid will graduate this year, I would have the time and ability to go to many other events.... Not that I need the money, I NEED SOMETHING TO DO IN RETIREMENT.... Given my injuries,its almost impossible to find an employer willing to take me on ( the old liability reason... although they wont tell me that)....

So I talk to my buddy who works as a freelance photographer and ask him what he thinks and / or would do... the FIRST thing I asked him was would I cut into HIS paying jobs.... After he assured me I wouldn't be infringing on him, he went on to tell me what he would do with this specific publisher.... the first thing he told me is they would never pay for "parent photos"... he suggested i give them a "FEW" more and then attempt to negotiate as a freelancer like he did... He told me he thinks I might be the guy they call when a large event is in town (happens often) and whenever he isn't available or the "staff" guy is not available... and that would probably be the most i would get at this time.... but things change often...

so that's where i am at now... I haven't given any more photos to the paper as of yet... the sports reporter asked me for a few from the away games... and I am waiting to talk with the editor (who i know from my previous working relationship) to see if there is a possibility of become a part time freelancer for the paper... I told the sports writer I would send hims a few shots of the next few games and he said he would put in a word for me with the editor.... so we will see where this goes.... I know its not the best way to get my foot in the door, but apparently its the ONLY way with this paper.... and I have to start somewhere...... AGAIN, I am not looking at this right now as a money making opportunity... I am looking at this as building a name for myself... getting "published" and having some credibility for my skill.... whatever that may be.... If it works... great... if not, I am not hurting anyone.... nobody on this forum will be effected and the ONE guy that possibly COULD be effected gave me his blessings.... and i will NEVER let it get to a point that they are taking advantage of me.... a half dozen photos or so... and then its time to put up or shut up....

Right now, I have permission of the local little league to be an "official" photographer this season... I am going to offer my "posters" to the players and parents and see how this season goes... I am going to include my time to show up and shoot the kids and hopefully grow into getting multiple kids at the same game... I have offered to donate 10% of my sales to the little league as my way of giving back to them.... so we will see how it goes....

I really appreciate the time and effort given by those on this forum to offer help and guidance... I did not intend to "offend" or "take away" from the professionals on this board.... I'm just trying to get a start ... and hopefully make SOME profit doing something i love to do...

thanks again... Dave

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · First time published in local paper

Frank Lauri, from viewing your work and posts here, I really thought you were a Pro Photographer with the big leagues.
Awesome stuff you share in pics and posts, Ken.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · First time published in local paper

1adam-12, like you I am retired and am now shooting for a weekly newspaper. Fun for me, only about 12 hours a week max, and I get paid. Good Luck on your new path. This is a great group that will keep you running straight.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · First time published in local paper

Dave...nice story and hope you are in the mend. As one door closes....another one opens. I believe that and what you once had...can be again. Keep it real and good luck.

Frank

Mar 20, 2015 at 05:05 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · First time published in local paper

Ken...thanks for the kind words. The closest I got to the "bigs" was in 2010 I covered the NY Yankees in spring training and since 2008 I've covered their AAA Franchise in Scranton, PA.

Frank

Mar 20, 2015 at 05:09 AM
picboy
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · First time published in local paper

I doubt you have to worry about offending 'professionals' here. It's mostly folks who enjoy the hobby and love to see their stuff get printed or used on the web. So your questions make perfect sense as many have had the same ones. I would put more thought into your background 'management' though. Lots of ways to eliminate ugly fences, etc.

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:18 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · First time published in local paper

knight13 wrote:
Editors love "courtesy of" photogs. They don't have to pay them.

Once or twice is one thing but when you send them consistent quality work they are using you, plain and simple.

Send them a game or two and negotiate a rate, THAT is how you get paying work. They've come to you wanting a product, don't give it to them for free.

I knew the editor of a local newspaper, so that was my in... plus I gave them a level of professionalism they always lacked.

It was fun going head to head vs the real pro's. Many times, I could tell which image they would run the following day and being my paper was a weekly it influenced where and how I shot.

It was fun for awhile, but the chump change ($15 an image) and ever increasing demands grew old. It sucked because some weeks I would crush it and they would run one image. The next week my job or family would limit my shooting and they would need four images.

Make a list of the annual and weekly events and plan weeks in advance so that you can offer diversity. It will keep you sane.

Shooting week 10 of high school football or your twentieth minor league baseball games starts to really boring.

Because by giving them an image, I essentially gave up rights to the image I would hold back my best.

It's a great way to build a brand, network, and you get published each week. Many of the venues I shot for Rotary/Chamber Christmas parties, for example, were the same ones I later shot weddings.

I just got a D700 and a few primes to start again in 2015. I miss it and their photography is suffering greatly. I love the access a press pass gives to concerts, sports, and other events.

Winning statewide PJ awards was always confirmation of my skills. My favorite was one afternoon whle testing a Leica M3 and a 50mm Summilux. I caught some kids jumping off a bridge. They needed filler for something. The B+W submission won me an award.

Seeing week after week of my hoops images hanging in high school bulletin boards as I entered the arena for the upteempth time was also a real reward.

Good luck

Always have a camera with you... even a Fuji x100. It will be the one day you leave your bag at home, you see that award winning shot.

Edited on Mar 20, 2015 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2015 at 06:49 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · First time published in local paper

Didn't SI just let go of their entire staff.

It's a fun job, you will make good friends. Just don't let the newspapers exploit you. Learn to say no.

Parents are as cheap as the newspapers. I would only submit enough for them to publish what they need. Don't let them control the excess keepers in a online gallery.

I would run more images on my Facebook after the weekly published itself. This led to portrait opportunities.

My goto lens was a Nikon manual 300mm F/2.8 AIS that can be had for $800-$1000. My keeper rate didn't match the daily's but nobody could tell week to week. I got my satisfaction from the challenge.

A 50mm f/1.4 for basketball...

Be organized and bill them weekly via email. They certainly wont or can't pay you if it is left to them to keep track of the images they use...

Just last week my weekly ran several St Paddys day images from last year and didn't pay me for the last two weeks of baseball. Understand your rights and have an agreement in writing as to how you get paid/rights etc...

Mar 20, 2015 at 07:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.