Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · First time published in local paper

1adam-12
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First time published in local paper

well.... I guess I am famous (well at infamous) now... Had my first photo published in our local paper.... my son plays on the varsity baseball team.... I got this shot of one of the other parents sons... play at the plate... well i sent it to the parent... and he in turn sent it to the local paper... and to my surprise, they printed it in the Sunday sports section... the photo is above the fold and takes up 3/4 of the page in full color.... ya i know... its just a local paper... but its cool to be printed...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99385179@N04/16132966834/

thanks... Dave

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:40 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time published in local paper

OK.. I tried to post this according to the FAQ page instructions... how do i get the photo to show IN the message... without having to click on the hyperlink to go to the photo on my Flickr page...

thanks...dave

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:43 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time published in local paper

I think this is how i am supposed to imbed the photo in the message...

dave

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:46 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time published in local paper

i give up... help please attaching the image directly into the message...PLEASE...

thanks...Dave

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:47 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time published in local paper

this was the best i was able to come up with... still not what i was hoping to do..

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:49 PM
mbasile

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time published in local paper

Nice shot and congrats, local papers are not as easy to get into as you might think.
Something to be proud of.

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:57 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time published in local paper

Dave,
Congrats.
Just curious, how did the paper go about getting copyright usage rights being that it wasn't you (copyright owner) who sent it to them.?

Mar 09, 2015 at 01:59 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First time published in local paper

gschlact wrote:
Dave,
Congrats.
Just curious, how did the paper go about getting copyright usage rights being that it wasn't you (copyright owner) who sent it to them.?

Well i don't know... nobody asked me.... but I am not concerned as maybe this will open a door for me... the sports editor has contacted me via e-mail and asked that i send him pics from future games as "courtesy of" photos... I'm game so I agreed.... I see it as it gets me started, some exposure, and some experience.... maybe... just maybe it might lead to some paying gigs.... and back to your question, I am assuming since i "gave"it to the parent... and then the parent then "gave" it to the paper, that's how they were given permission... and since i didn't put any restrictions on when i sent it to the parent...

on a side note, having recently retired, I am looking for another "job" to keep me busy and extra cash.... Not looking for anything "full time" so I would like to parlay my "hobby" into a second career if you will .... who know ? ? ?

Mar 09, 2015 at 02:10 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First time published in local paper

Exactly, you gave it to the parents. No explicit rights or restrictions detailed. Therefore the is no explicit ability for someone else to think they are party to rights to using the image. This is Not a comment or Opinion relative to a Newspaper potential claim of Fair Use Rights. Some push the limits, others proactively avoid relying on Subjective Opinion and secure the rights directly, And Pay.

Seeking more work.? Send them watermarked images and ask if they want to buy them for one issues use etc. Don't let them just 'grab' them and put responsibility on you to prove it is Not Fair Use.

Mar 09, 2015 at 02:31 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First time published in local paper

gschlact wrote:
Exactly, you gave it to the parents. No explicit rights or restrictions detailed. Therefore the is no explicit ability for someone else to think they are party to rights to using the image. This is Not a comment or Opinion relative to a Newspaper potential claim of Fair Use Rights. Some push the limits, others proactively avoid relying on Subjective Opinion and secure the rights directly, And Pay.

Seeking more work.? Send them watermarked images and ask if they want to buy them for one issues use etc. Don't let them just 'grab' them and put responsibility on you to
...Show more

Thanks for the advice... I'll keep it in mind as I go on.... for now, I am going to send a few to the paper each game... once I got them hooked and if they continue to use my photos, I will approach them about getting some royalties... Thats my long plan ...

BTW.... go CUBBIES ! ! ! ! I'm from Chicago... got relatives all over the burbs.... where abouts you at

Dave

Mar 09, 2015 at 02:45 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First time published in local paper

Adam... glad to hear that you are stoked about getting published. That's all well and good, but you really need to take a step back and learn how the business works. You are following down a path that many amateurs take. Unfortunately, they learn the hard way that once you give away your work, you ruin any chance you might have of ever getting paid by the newspaper, and damage the industry as a whole. The paper is taking total advantage of you. They are well aware of what they are doing.

In addition, if you continue to do what you are doing, and have no intent on at least reading up on this touchy subject, you risk alienating the members here, myself included, and will never get any advice or critique that you might need in the future. Seriously, I know you're on cloud nine, but trust the advice I'm giving you now. Stop. Read, read, read. I can't say I didn't warn you.

Mar 09, 2015 at 04:13 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First time published in local paper

P Alesse wrote:
Adam... glad to hear that you are stoked about getting published. That's all well and good, but you really need to take a step back and learn how the business works. You are following down a path that many amateurs take. Unfortunately, they learn the hard way that once you give away your work, you ruin any chance you might have of ever getting paid by the newspaper, and damage the industry as a whole. The paper is taking total advantage of you. They are well aware of what they are doing.

In addition, if you continue to do what
...Show more

Al..

I hear you... and I have read the threads on this subject.... It was NEVER my intention of giving the photo away for free... but since its out there, I would like to continue to get print coverage in the hopes that it would lead to having my photos purchased... in the case of our local paper, I know their main photographer (who supports what i am doing... and he has suggested in the past that i send in a few to "test the waters") and he told me they never pay for "parent" photos... They will possibly offer me a paying gig as a "freelance photographer" (probably to avoid payroll taxes) at games "once i prove my abilities" etc etc... so... my angle on this is to prove myself with a FEW photos from the next 2-3 games and then see where that gets me... if not, I am not risking anything... nothing ventured... nothing gained....

As for alienating pros ..I have no intention nor desire to do that... However, I'm sure you understand how HARD it is to get into the "professional field" and getting your images published.... I look at this as "an apprentice" type opportunity... if it doesn't pan out ... then i can walk away and try another approach... as I mentioned before, I am recently retired and looking for that "next career"... I have a passion for photography (sports and landscape) and would like to parlay that passion into a job... I know its a tough field to get into, but without opportunities like this, how else could I get "noticed?" In that thought, I would NEVER take away a "paying job" from anyone intentionally... and ANY opportunities I get from this form my local paper, I would make DAM SURE i didn't infringe on my friends ability to make his living... BUT... I have to get a start somewhere...

Any suggestions you may have as to "how to get started" is very welcomed... please let me know if you have any suggestions that can help me achieve my goals... Or at least get a START ...

thanks for the feedback !!!!

dave

Mar 09, 2015 at 05:15 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First time published in local paper

Dave... thanks for the background and elaboration. As for getting started, well, as you know, many are finding themselves at the END. I don't have to tell you. SI just laid off their full timers. It's a tough tough industry. There is still money to be had in the commercial field, but you have to market yourself. The same can be said in my niche market as well. It's more about marketing yourself than taking photos.I look at what I do as 90% marketing, 10% photo quality/abilities. Sad but true.

As for photojournalism, it's not my line of expertise and I only speak from the perspective of many friends who are all realizing that the time they put in doesn't nearly come close to the money they are making.

Mar 09, 2015 at 05:26 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First time published in local paper

Congratulations @1adam-12!!! I remember my first time it was very exciting! You didn't say how big of a circulation your local paper has. How many full time reporters are at the papers. I am a freelancer photographer for my local paper. They have 4 reporters and a few freelancers.

There will come a time that your paper will need coverage of a sports event, local community event etc and the regular people will want to go on that holiday weekend they been looking forward to but they can't as they are on duty for the weekend. Or there may be something that is happening at the same time another event is happening and the regular reporter can't cover both events. This may be just the time for you to help out. My advice is to always be available. (Unless of course you honestly can't as you are out of town etc) I remember one night I didn't want to go out but I promised I would cover this event and it was -40 degrees out. My camera had a little difficulty but I tried to prepare it as much as I could.

So yes, my advice is to be available for the paper when noone else can. Another would be out to go out and find the news photos that may not have a reporter at them. My family is used to me telling them to turn the car around when I see an accident, fire, cutesy child pic, animal pic etc

Have fun with it!

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:02 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First time published in local paper

mphocus wrote:
Congratulations @1adam-12!!! I remember my first time it was very exciting! You didn't say how big of a circulation your local paper has. How many full time reporters are at the papers. I am a freelancer photographer for my local paper. They have 4 reporters and a few freelancers.

There will come a time that your paper will need coverage of a sports event, local community event etc and the regular people will want to go on that holiday weekend they been looking forward to but they can't as they are on duty for the weekend. Or there may be
...Show more

its a small paper... affiliated with other small papers in the area... their circulation is approx 10,000... I know they only have one sports reporter / photographer on staff (he does both) and one freelance photographer 9he is a friend of mine)... they rarely hire "photographers" per-se.... they tend to have their reporters get the pictures unless they contract out to the freelance guy... and often enough he cannot be in 2 places at the same time... the town refers to itself as 'the endurance capitol of the world" as we have MANY events throughout the year.... I fortunately retired from working for the city and as a result have made a LOT of friends / contact in the area... I happen to now the new editor of the paper from working with her when she was a reporter for them several years ago... so I hope that gets me some opportunities... I am hoping to get some more good shots at the next 2 games... one of which is going to be played at the Sacramento river Cats stadium tomorrow night...

thanks for the input and advice ! ! !

Dave

Mar 10, 2015 at 01:55 PM
knight13
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First time published in local paper

1adam-12 wrote:
Well i don't know... nobody asked me.... but I am not concerned as maybe this will open a door for me... the sports editor has contacted me via e-mail and asked that i send him pics from future games as "courtesy of" photos... I'm game so I agreed.... I see it as it gets me started, some exposure, and some experience.... maybe... just maybe it might lead to some paying gigs.... and back to your question, I am assuming since i "gave"it to the parent... and then the parent then "gave" it to the paper, that's how they were given
...Show more

Editors love "courtesy of" photogs. They don't have to pay them.

Once or twice is one thing but when you send them consistent quality work they are using you, plain and simple.

Send them a game or two and negotiate a rate, THAT is how you get paying work. They've come to you wanting a product, don't give it to them for free.

Mar 10, 2015 at 02:23 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First time published in local paper

knight13 wrote:
Editors love "courtesy of" photogs. They don't have to pay them.

Once or twice is one thing but when you send them consistent quality work they are using you, plain and simple.

Send them a game or two and negotiate a rate, THAT is how you get paying work. They've come to you wanting a product, don't give it to them for free.

thats my plan

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:15 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · First time published in local paper

like the majority of the people in the photo, i have one question: safe or out?

it's funny to see the ho hum reaction of the females wrt the males in the photo.... these are the captures in which endearing images are made!

glw your retirement plan! :-)

Mar 10, 2015 at 03:25 PM
1adam-12
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · First time published in local paper

tntcorp wrote:
like the majority of the people in the photo, i have one question: safe or out?

it's funny to see the ho hum reaction of the females wrt the males in the photo.... these are the captures in which endearing images are made!

glw your retirement plan! :-)

He was out by a mile.... thanks for the well wishes :-)

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:12 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · First time published in local paper

1adam-12 wrote:
i give up... help please attaching the image directly into the message...PLEASE...

thanks...Dave

Dave's photo:

on flickr on the lower-right next to the photo there's a down-arrow download icon, then click view all sizes, then click the size you want

Right-click copy the static link it gives you for "download this photo". That jpg link is what you want to paste between IMG tags here.

Mar 11, 2015 at 06:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.