New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Is it me?

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it me?

I read and participate in a lot of threads where someone (me) is asking which would be better to buy and a lot of responders ask what do you like to shoot and others comment on how the gear doesn't make the photo good, it's the photographer. I get all that but then I say to myself, if you say it's the photographer and not the gear why do you have the latest and greatest? Why not a Rebel and kit lens? I also know that a Rebel in the right hands will be better than me with a 5D3. I had asked some questions here and on another forum about upgrading, and I thought I was being specific enough, but maybe I wasn't. Is everybody just tired of this kind of thread?
Here is a question I had asked on another forum and see what you think.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17465310

Mar 08, 2015 at 04:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it me?

Meh. You get what you pay for. Don't it let it get you down.

Apparently, the quality of replies varies a lot according to where you post. Have you tried DPR?

Mar 08, 2015 at 09:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it me?

Well, many people cannot separate the dissimilar variables.

1. If you are hiring a photographer, then their abilities and portfolio are what you care about. Their abilities will include determining the appropriate equipment.

2. As an individual enthusiast it is probably irrelevant how good you are as a photographer (somewhat nebulous anyway due to the semi-artistic nature of the medium) where the issue is deciding on equipment for your personal use.

3. The internet is full of foolish nonsense. Many of the posters have a mental condition and like to argue or bully others online. You just have to step back sometimes.

EBH

Mar 08, 2015 at 09:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it me?

To me, buying gear is a personal decision. It's like buying a car. If I were to ask all my friends whether I should buy a new Jeep or not, I'd still be driving the 1956 Willy's Jeep or 1970 Datsun 510 cars I had back in high school and they would all still be saying "It's just fine, you won't become a better driver getting a newer car."

To me, good and updated camera gear does make a difference, everything is better in the new camera gear. It's not all the shooter and their expertise, nor can you discount the improvement better gear makes. There's a symbiosis there.

But if you ask... well you'll get answers like the above. And another thing. The first thing people do is attribute their own personal financial situation to you and your purchase. Some wear theirs on their sleeve. Along with their personal level of skill (they're always one notch better than you too). But they don't know a thing about you, whether you have $5.00 or $50,000,000 in the bank.

So, since it's generally a hobby here for most people here (with a few exceptions), just experiment. Try new stuff. Sell it if you don't like it and then try something else. You only have one life...

Of course, I'm not sure of what the question was...

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:52 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it me?

The whole basis of my original question was if you had a choice of 2 systems which one would you choose?
5D3, plus a 24-105L or 6D, plus a 24-105 and a Zeiss ze 55mm makro.
Of course I could substitute the zeiss with anything in the $700 range

Mar 08, 2015 at 03:56 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it me?

Use what you already have (don't know what you have now). I think for general photography, either camera is fine... it depends on your comfort level due to differences in body size

Mar 08, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it me?

campy wrote:
I get all that but then I say to myself, if you say it's the photographer and not the gear why do you have the latest and greatest? Why not a Rebel and kit lens?

i guess you haven't seen Philip Bloom with Barbie Camera Challenge yet eh?

or Vincent Laforet here:

and a whole bunch of other pro that use super cheap camera for the challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ECB90D96DF59DE5

So yes, my answer to you is still : IT IS THE PHOTOGRAPHER. Gear is just tool to help you to tell your story, your creativity.

Mar 08, 2015 at 07:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it me?

campy wrote:
The whole basis of my original question was if you had a choice of 2 systems which one would you choose?
5D3, plus a 24-105L or 6D, plus a 24-105 and a Zeiss ze 55mm makro.
Of course I could substitute the zeiss with anything in the $700 range

I'd chose neither of those. Pick something other than the 24-105.

EBH

Mar 08, 2015 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.