Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · 5d3 need to go soon

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 need to go soon

Everytime I see the prices of the 5D3 just dropping like crazy, I feel like selling mine but I have weddings coming up soon and no 5D4 announced, that means that I'll be selling mine when the price drop to like 1,500 and thats not too far from now, I just saw one sell for $1,700 used on FM and on Ebay brand spanking new for $1,999 ouch

I guess I should not be complaining, I got my money already.

Mar 07, 2015 at 09:22 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 need to go soon

You could always switch to Nikon

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3 need to go soon

sgtbueno wrote:

Everytime I see the prices of the 5D3 just dropping like crazy, I feel like selling mine

I've never sold any gear.

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:30 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3 need to go soon

I was thinking about switching, but I dont know, I'm a Canon guy for so many years and Nikon feel so freaking weird in my hands.

Diggler,

are you for real?

Mar 07, 2015 at 10:34 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3 need to go soon

5D4 is probably at least another year out. Just look at the life span of the 5D2 and see where we're at with the 5D3. Who cares what prices are dropping to, that's normal market trends. Keep earning your money with it and deal with the resale value when the 5D4 comes – its going to be the same for any body (D750 included).

Mar 08, 2015 at 01:19 AM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3 need to go soon

Stan speaks the truth and I've been kicking around the same idea Bueno. Wanted to sell the 5D3 before the bottom fell out but it looks like it's coming sooner than later. Been seriously considering making the switch but keep trying to talk myself out of it
Look at it this way- if the 5D4 doesn't offer something worthwhile the 750 will be lower so it may even out. *shrugs*

Mar 08, 2015 at 01:22 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3 need to go soon

Um, the Mk IV is slated for release this summer, not a year away. I think Canon even mentioned it somewhere. History shows between 36 and 42 months - consistently. That's as early as June... when I expect we'll hear an announcement... with an August delivery date. (mentioned by numerous sources)

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:11 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3 need to go soon

Canon is not saying a word. Many of us were asking them at WPPI, and they were being as close mouthed (and arrogant, to be honest) as possible. They were giving out any info at all, and openly blowing off any comments we were making about the 5D4 needing to be something great to keep the Canon faithful staying...well...faithful. It would seem likely that it will be coming this year, but I have heard nothing conclusive from Canon on it. And, it seems like they tend to not breathe a word of it until they are ready for the full announcement.

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:24 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3 need to go soon

sgtbueno wrote:

Diggler,

are you for real?

Is this in reference to my "I haven't sold any gear" comment?

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3 need to go soon

sgtbueno wrote:

Nikon feel so freaking weird in my hands.

I shoot both Canon and Nikon and I agree: Canon has better ergonomics.

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:44 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d3 need to go soon

S-Man23 wrote:

Wanted to sell the 5D3 before the bottom fell out but it looks like it's coming sooner than later.

I heard that the reason prices are falling has to do with the exchange rates of currencies; Canon has to lower prices to compete with the low gray market prices.

Mar 08, 2015 at 02:47 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d3 need to go soon

of course Canon people are not talking about it. Their internal policy on leaking about upcoming stuff is simple: if you talk, you leave.

Mar 08, 2015 at 05:14 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d3 need to go soon

joelconner wrote:
Canon is not saying a word. Many of us were asking them at WPPI, and they were being as close mouthed (and arrogant, to be honest) as possible. They were giving out any info at all, and openly blowing off any comments we were making about the 5D4 needing to be something great to keep the Canon faithful staying...well...faithful.

I don't blame them. I mean, it's like an Uncle Bob at a wedding talking about gear.We all blow them off, too.

Mar 08, 2015 at 05:36 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d3 need to go soon

But Uncle Bob is not my customer...

I have been Canon's customer for 15 years

#notformuchlonger

ZachOly wrote:
I don't blame them. I mean, it's like an Uncle Bob at a wedding talking about gear.We all blow them off, too.

Mar 08, 2015 at 06:31 AM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d3 need to go soon

I would just continue shooting with the 5d3, its a great camera. Who knows when the 5d4 will be even released when initially announced....ex: the 5ds/5dsr. It will take a few months to get out to the public. I shoot both systems and prefer the ergonomics of canon

Mar 08, 2015 at 07:07 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d3 need to go soon

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I have two 5d iii's.

I agree with Tony's thread that Nikon's current body choices are 'better,' but to me the differences will go largely unnoticed to clients. So, I'm going to give Canon yet another chance to redeem themselves. I just can't help but think that they're a much bigger company and realize that they need to play some serious catch up.

With that said, if this isn't fixed by next winter we might make the jump.

Mar 08, 2015 at 10:21 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d3 need to go soon

I'll continue with the 5D3's for now, but I am like many who are making Canon's next offering the 'last chance' before I switch systems.

Mar 08, 2015 at 10:46 AM
andrewhenders
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d3 need to go soon

The 5DS & 5DR are available for purchase June 29th, 5 or so months after they were announced. If Canon announces a 5D4 in June or July doesn't that clog their market with their release of the 5DS/R. I know they are 2 different cameras but Canon has never announced a new professional camera when another new professional camera was just released to market.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a 5D4 being announced or released anytime soon.

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d3 need to go soon

andrewhenders wrote:
The 5DS & 5DR are available for purchase June 29th, 5 or so months after they were announced. If Canon announces a 5D4 in June or July doesn't that clog their market with their release of the 5DS/R. I know they are 2 different cameras but Canon has never announced a new professional camera when another new professional camera was just released to market.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a 5D4 being announced or released anytime soon.

The 1DX was announced in october - 2011 and released for the sale at the end of march 2012
The 5DmkIII was announced early march 2012 and released for sale at the end of march - 2012.

The 5DS/R are specialty - niche cameras. Meant for studio/commercial work.
release date: June 2015

Really up to canon when they want to start the party.
5DmkIV, based on know information, middle to end of 2015. .... August 2015 seems to be the latest hot date.

-mark

Mar 08, 2015 at 12:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d3 need to go soon

Yesterday was the first wedding I shot with the new Yongnuo (hack) receiver for the 600 speed lights. I was firing a Cheetah Light all day from my Canon ex600rt. Want a lot of light? It's right there, on Group C (where I assigned it). As much as I loved the Canon 600 system when I migrated to it, I love it that much more knowing I can now add ANY strobe I want to at anytime.

It's enough to keep me here for awhile. I'm almost certain that I'd go through the drama of going back to Nikon only to not enjoy my shooting day fiddling with third-party speedlight solutions. What's 5 stops of DR when you're a speedlight junkie and the Nikon (and third party) lighting system grates on your nerves all day?

Thankfully one of my associates just bought two D750's so I'll be able to go deep on his files this Spring. It will be fun to poke around.

Mar 08, 2015 at 01:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.