Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · High school soccer at night

gratefool1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High school soccer at night

Hello all!
I am just upgrading from a 1DmII with a 100-400/4.5-5.6 to a new 7dmII with a 70-200/2.8 II. I initially bought my set a few years ago for BIF (I fly hawks) and soccer but now that my boy is in high school, those all day soccer tourneys are just evening matches mostly. I found that i was unable to stop the action in that light hence the upgrade.
So I am thinking an extender will likely defeat the purpose of the 2.8 glass unless maybe just at the beginning of the game before the sun goes completely down. For these times i can get a little extra reach, which extender is recommended?
I know I will have to spend some time with the AF once the camera arrives but do any of you have any pointers that can get me started? Rivalry game this coming Friday. My son scored the only goal to beat them at home for the first time in school history last year. Of course i missed the shot but i pray it stays forever burned in my memory .
Anyway, a huge shout out to a great community that is always there to help. Many many thanks!
Have a blessed weekend!

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:24 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High school soccer at night

The best Canon extender obviously would be ver III but ver II is still quite good. That combo at f/4 will work just so far with dwindling light. Be prepared to remove it field side.

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:32 AM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High school soccer at night

Yeah at night the extender will need to come off or the ISO is going to have to go way up to keep your SS up. Also be aware with the 7DMII you really need to keep your SS up! For soccer I try to never get under 1/1100s and try to stay above 1/1500s.

Mar 07, 2015 at 12:38 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High school soccer at night

Sent you a PM

Mar 18, 2015 at 02:14 AM
collicuttl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High school soccer at night

I shoot rugby but soccer is pretty similar. I have a 7d2 and for day games I shoot the new 100-400 L (love this lens) and at night I have to revert to my 70-200 2.8. I have found that setting AF to 8 point expansion, case 3, servo works well. During the day I like to stay at 1/1600 but at night when you are really stretched for light I have found you can get reasonable results down to 1/800. I play with my SS and ISO to get the best results. As the light gets darker I'll first bring my SS down to 1/1000. If I need to I'll then up the ISO to about 6400. If it's darker then that then I'll go to 1/800. Darker still? only option at that point is to up the ISO but things get ugly towards 10000. If I get there then I start to think about switching to my 5d3 which handles the noise better but isn't as good a camera for sports.

Mar 20, 2015 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.