Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

I posted earlier on advice for a lighter travel tripod, since i probably wouldn't be able to travel with my RRS 34L+BH-55 combo.

I think i'm pretty much settled on getting the TQC-14+BH-40 combo.

However, after reading through a lot of different forums on experiences people have had at Machu Picchu, and am worried that i may not be able to get the TQC-14 in. So now i'm thinking of getting the TQC-14+BH-40 combo, as well as a Joby Gorillapod Focus as a backup (hidden in my camera bag).

Will the Gorillapod Focus work with the BH40 as well How stable will it be - i know its obviously not going to be good as a real tripod, but will it be good option that allows me enough stability for Panos with my tilt shifts

Does anyone have any experience with the Focus and whether it would be okay to use with the 5D3 and hopefully the 5ds/5dsR (if it can get one in time), with the following lenses:

1. 24-70L II
  2. 16-40L IS
  3. TSE 17L
  4. 24 TSE L II
  5. 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Mar 07, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

I still have the joby ball head X and it's actually a great little arca ball head! The Gorillapod Focus Tripod not so much. But, yes, it does have a standard 3/8" stud for their ball head X. I tossed the Focus Tripod and use the ball head X on a Giottoi table top tripod and a Super Clamp.

Mar 07, 2015 at 04:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

anything with a 3/8-16 thread will "work" with a BH40. its then about the stability of whats under the 40. the GP products have a great deal of versatility but overall stability under some conditional situations isn't one of them.

Mar 07, 2015 at 07:37 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

Gochugogi wrote:
I still have the joby ball head X and it's actually a great little arca ball head! The Gorillapod Focus Tripod not so much. But, yes, it does have a standard 3/8" stud for their ball head X. I tossed the Focus Tripod and use the ball head X on a Giottoi table top tripod and a Super Clamp.

How do ou find the Giotti table top tripod? will it hold a gripped 5D3+L lenses?

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:43 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

sjms wrote:
anything with a 3/8-16 thread will "work" with a BH40. its then about the stability of whats under the 40. the GP products have a great deal of versatility but overall stability under some conditional situations isn't one of them.

anything else you can suggest that would provide more stability?

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:44 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

I bought that squid-like Focus tripod thing. It's rather limited as a normal tripod since the height is not adjustable. Stability is OK for moderate loads, but you should be able to find something better for the stability/weight ratio.

EBH

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

khurram1 wrote:
anything else you can suggest that would provide more stability?

in that size and approx template:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302827-REG/Berlebach_BE50031_50031_Wood_Tabletop_Tripod.html

Mar 07, 2015 at 03:39 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

sjms wrote:
in that size and approx template:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302827-REG/Berlebach_BE50031_50031_Wood_Tabletop_Tripod.html

thanks for the suggestion. Never thought about getting a wooden tripod. Seems a little pricey and not sure how easily it would fit inside my camera bag. With the Gorrillapod Focus, i've been told that one of the stores can have it locally in around a month for me to see, not sure if anyone carries the Berlebach.

If it wasn't for the train baggage restrictions, G iven how much i'm looking to spend on the RRS TQC 15/BH40 and another small tripod like the Gorillapod or Berlach, it would be easier to just pay the damn $300/day permit costs at Machu Picchu - at least i would have the guarantee of being able to use my tripod!

Mar 08, 2015 at 06:07 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joby Gorillapod Focus with gripped 5D3?

I've got the Berlach, and have used it with 6D + 24-105 with solid results during long exposures. I've mounted a small Markins ballhead. It's only 13", including the head when collapsed. I'm considering selling to fund another piece of gear if you are interested. Have a great trip to Peru!

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.