New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Used lens with replaced rubber focus ring with small gap

onewhoshoots

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used lens with replaced rubber focus ring with small gap

I just ordered a used Tamron 24-70mm lens a couple days ago from B&H and it came in today. It seems to perform normally, as far as I know, but I noticed that the rubber focus ring had been replaced by a newer, thinner one. I may just be paranoid (I try to be cautious when purchasing used items online), but should I be worried about this gap between the rubber ring and the gold ring? I wouldn't like dust or water easily penetrating the lens.

EDIT: The AF/MF switch doesn't seem to work. It will autofocus even if it's set to manual focus. Pending RMA.

Edited on Mar 08, 2015 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions

Mar 06, 2015 at 01:59 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used lens with replaced rubber focus ring with small gap

Both rings look non standard, as though someone found close matches in a spare parts box and put them on, knowing that many would not notice.

I'd send it back, if its shoddily repaired outside, it may be cobbled up inside as well.

Mar 06, 2015 at 02:56 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used lens with replaced rubber focus ring with small gap

Yeah, both those rubber rings do not like what comes standard with that lens. I would return as well.

Mar 06, 2015 at 06:47 PM
onewhoshoots

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used lens with replaced rubber focus ring with small gap

Now that you mention it, yes both rings are not the standard rings. The zoom ring is slightly smaller as well and doesn't reach the edge. I'll have to send B&H a message when they open.

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.