Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

I have no idea how much coding would be involved in implementing a feature like this or if it’s been suggested before (or if I just don’t know how to use FM very well), but in the Wedding Forum (for example), an FMer may post 20, 30, 50 or more images (hopefully numbered). I enjoy following everyone’s comments but of course find myself scrolling up and down and up and down to find the shot and better understand the commentary.

What if the original images had a Compare checkbox beside each photo similar to a retail website where we could check the images we intended to comment on, then thumbnails load into a Compare screen for the commentator’s reference as they write their reply – but more importantly, the referenced images appear as numbered thumbnails within the reply (see below) so readers can immediately see the shots the commentator is speaking of.

All the better (but not necessary) if we could then click on the thumbnail for a lightbox pop-up showing the full size image.

Just my two cents but man that would be helpful to me – and encourage me to study everyone’s comments more thoroughly.

Regards,

Chuck

Reference images and screenshot pulled from https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1328002/0?keyword=same,sex#12668245

Mar 05, 2015 at 09:29 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

Chuck,

I echo completely your ideas and the value of your recommendations. I'm an erstwhile contributor to a couple of Boards here, each of which is extremely lengthy, and I tire easily of having to scroll back through the thread to catch the picture(s) to which subsequent reference/commentary/critique is being made. Did you PM Fred about it?

Mar 06, 2015 at 04:16 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

Thanks, Anthony. Fred doesn't miss much (if anything) so I didn't think a PM necessary - and thought it might be useful for him to gauge community response to the idea - the absence of which I must say has astonished me. I thought it would be of great interest. Thank goodness I still have my day job.

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:47 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

On both jim wilson's MA2A and Curtis grindahl's MF Boards, there are so ever often comments from viewers about how fast the contributions proceed that the member can't give due regard to the work folks have put up. I know that has been true for me as well and the effect it has for me is to reduce my participation because I dont want to give short schrift to the many competent photographs members have contributed. I as well hope that others here will join in on your very worthwhile recommendation.

Mar 06, 2015 at 09:00 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

I'm surprised this hasn't received much interest either. I like the idea a lot.

Mar 06, 2015 at 09:08 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

It is a sound recommendation, but it would require a huge change in the posting process for sure. That said, this would definitely make dialogue easier.

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

I really can't be bothered looking at more than 20 images one one thread, thumbnails or not.

Mar 09, 2015 at 11:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

BSPhotog wrote:
It is a sound recommendation, but it would require a huge change in the posting process for sure.

Not from the perspective of the poster.

Mar 10, 2015 at 08:21 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

jcolwell wrote:
Not from the perspective of the poster.

I'm not a master web programmer, but I feel like this would be somewhat painless to implement if all of the images were hosted on FM, but more of a pain if hosted third party. Since Fred gives you 5 images per post, well, that doesn't add up. I was imagining having to use a web form to paste image URLs for each image so that the site can keep a database of the images per thread with their corresponding number. That's why I was imagining the posting process changing, though there may be an easier, more painless way that someone smarter than me could come up with (very likely!).

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image thumbnails within replies - your thoughts?

That's what I meant - for images hosted on FM. You just upload in the 'normal' fashion and the web site apps take over, posting a thumbnail link in the thread.

Mar 10, 2015 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.