Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · AF options for sports

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF options for sports

I have shot kids soccer, mountain biking
, bif etc. and always use af-c, single point (centre ) on d700/80-200, d300+70-200vr1, 7D+70-200, d800+70-200 vr1 most recently.

I have 2 triathlon events coming up in June and want to ask, am I doing the right thing ie should I be using the fancy 3D focus etc that my d800 has ? I should add that I have always been happy with the results until the last shoot with kids on mtb for a billboard.

My UCI world cup pics are here -
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjXm1d5C

and most recent shoot -http://flic.kr/s/aHsk72sdyn

lots of the last shoot faces not in focus, should I move the single point away from centre to one of the less accurate ones (still cross point though ) ?

I shoot MF for myself these days and only shoot with AF for paid work. I have plenty of time to figure this out / practice other settings / test the lens body configuration.

What would you suggest ?

Andy

Mar 05, 2015 at 06:19 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF options for sports

I would say if that's how you have become used to shooting then keep it that way. A lot of your OOF shots look to be targets moving towards you? Much harder to focus than sideways movement (bif, soccer, ect). What is your "focus tracking with lock on" set to. Try "off". Only move your focus point if you are so close that you wont have room to use the center and crop. Good looking shots BTW.

Mar 05, 2015 at 07:28 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF options for sports

Thanks Andre, appreciate you taking the time.

Just checked, have it set to 3(normal)

Settings are
a1-release
a2-focus
a3-3(nnormal)
a4-shutter/af-on (I use the af-on button)
a5-auto
a6-off
a7-af51
a8-on

Yes, subjects coming towards me seems worse, should I pick a focus point on the face or the bike/chest of the rider ? it's usually too tight to crop later, the tracks are pretty much in the rain forest so you have get close for unobstructed views of the riders.

I'll try turning a3 off / lower and do some practice.

Mar 05, 2015 at 08:24 PM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF options for sports

For action coming at you, I have had good success with the new Group Area AF setting found in the D4S. I know the D810 has this setting as well.

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:59 PM
jwarrenb

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF options for sports

I echo the group auto focus, I use it on the D4s and the 810 and believe that it is the best option for sports / action.

Good luck!

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:32 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF options for sports

Let me ask the dumb questions......

why would your first image be set to "release" priority..and not focus?

You state that in you last shoot...most of the faces are out of focus...but IF the link
you gave is the last shoot...I don't see that sampled....(hoping the answer is that you didn't post bad shots) but what I do see brings these questions up:

Are these images cropped?? The reason I ask...is they all appear sharp...but on some ( and if your out of focus ones-not shown) I can see where maybe you didn't maintain your center focal
point on subject....again hard to tell if images are cropped for composition.

Another point you bring out is you use MF for yourself...but AF for paid shots....which mode were
you in for all the failed shots?? Personally....the only time I can even consider MF...if doing maybe
macro....almost everything else demands AF.

Another point I would recommend....is using AF point expansion....since you have the glass to support it.

Finally....to truly help you....it would be great to see "failed" shots....you've only shown us the good ones
It's hard to truly determine if its settings...technique....or equipment issues with out SEEING what was produced.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:46 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF options for sports

Game Changer wrote:
For action coming at you, I have had good success with the new Group Area AF setting found in the D4S. I know the D810 has this setting as well.

+1 on the group setting. I too was having some trouble with the same issues and made the switch at halftime of my daughter's soccer game. The difference was amazing. Don't get me wrong, the images still looked like they came from a rank amateur, but they were the IN FOCUS images of a rank amateur.

Mar 19, 2015 at 03:20 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF options for sports

OP mentioned shooting with D800 - which does not have Group AF.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF options for sports

a3 OFF
a7 AF 11
AF-C Ctr or 9 pt

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF options for sports

^ 1.2 crop mode for 372mm FOV. My D800 does this all day
as well, but prefer the metering on the D810 (Spot w/highlight)

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM
dtulis

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF options for sports

I'd go with the 9-point square AF grid for a D800 or D4. For me, it works better than single point for football, basketball, baseball unless the subject stops moving or is too cluttered. For instance, coaches on sidelines are better for me on single point AF. I have also had good luck on AF51 but not 3D.

Mar 26, 2015 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.