Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

joeisayo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

I currently shoot with a pair of Profoto B1's and have a PF 20.5" (white) plus half dozen PF and Eli soft boxes. Non of those soft boxes produces light anywhere near as beautiful as the puny PF beauty dish. So now I'm on market for a larger beauty dish and Mola has a pair (Euro & Setti) I'm looking at.

Does anyone have experience shooting with the Euro & Setti? Can you describe the differences in the quality and of light between the two?
Thanks!
BTW majority of my work is on location.

Mar 05, 2015 at 05:47 PM
zangxuma

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Who can help this problem

Mar 05, 2015 at 07:26 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

I'd go with either the sollo or the setti. I personally prefer silver dishes to white, but it depends on your style. Here's a good review on the differences. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1306143

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:43 PM
dragon_eye
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

I kind of went thru the same path of OP. I ended it up with Demi due to its size for portability. Yes, Setti produces better light, but much harder to carry around. If I need full length shot, I will just pop-up my Eli 39" deep octa.

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:40 AM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Would't the silver Sollo be a bit harsh and overly contrasty for subjects who aren't necessarily flawless? I do however like the fall off you get with the Sollo as opposed to the Setti.

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:12 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

On location with ambient in the mix I doubt you'd see masses of difference between the dishes tbh.

If the profoto BD produces the light you want why do you want a bigger one? If it is coverage then often I use the 22" BD in tight and a separate gridded light (10deg grid) on the lower half of the model.

Mar 09, 2015 at 04:46 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Check out the Mola Blog. They have a nice monthly update with various photographers using all of their dishes. The 27" Elinchrom dish produces some very nice light also. You can buy an Eli/Profoto adapter from B&H. This would give you a lot of flexibility. You might consider a 39" Deep Octa as well.

Mar 09, 2015 at 08:38 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

It's very hard to tell the difference between beauty dish brands. The primary distinction comes from the inside of the dish, where silver is punchier and more contrasty, while the white is creamier and softer. If you're not happy with your Profoto dish, then chances are you won't be much happier with a Mola.

Mar 09, 2015 at 09:31 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Check out the Mola Blog. They have a nice monthly update with various photographers using all of their dishes. The 27" Elinchrom dish produces some very nice light also. You can buy an Eli/Profoto adapter from B&H. This would give you a lot of flexibility. You might consider a 39" Deep Octa as well.

I actually have the Eli deep Octa 27" but prefer the look of a beauty dish. BTW, I love the look of my PF beauty dish but want a larger dish. Right now I'm looking at the Mola Setti or Sollo.

Mar 11, 2015 at 02:07 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Yes, this is why I referred you to the Mola site. There are some really nice Setti examples there. I doubt you will find many here with a Setti or Sollo. Either are great but as I mentioned also, if you need bigger than the Demi, you could consider a 27" white or silver Elinchrom dish. They are beautifully made and reasonably priced. They put out a very nice light. Google reviews for it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

The Rotalux Deep Octa is a nice alternative to a BD.

Mar 11, 2015 at 05:40 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

+1, with either just a silver deflector and or the inner diffuser.

Mar 11, 2015 at 07:21 PM
lkpicke88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mola Euro or Setti for portrait and some fashion work?

Sorry for getting in on this discussion a little late. I just purchased the Profoto B1s, so I have the same dilemma. I have all of the Mola Dishes (Demi, Setti, Euro and Mantti). The Setti has a dramatic light fall off on full body shots with the face being properly exposed and a significant light fall- off going down the model's body. The Euro does not have this characteristic and I use it mostly for couple or group shots. The Euro gives a more even light. I find that the Euro is too heavy and cumbersome to use for location projects. The Setti and the demi works best on location because of their size and weight. You can use the Mola Setti for engagement photo shoots (two people). Remember, that the light will fall off on full body shots. The Mola Demi to me is the "King" of beauty shots because of its smaller size, especially when used with the Westcott Eyelighter. This combination is hard to beat for beauty shots. I do not use the Mantti often. I use the Mantti for group shots only. The secret ingredient to the Mola's beautiful quality of light is the "STACKED DIFFUSER" option. When you stack the two diffusers, the PAD and OPAL, you create an even softer center core of light which is my favorite look. This look is awesome, but this is my opinion.

In the studio, I often use the Mola, Demi, Setti, Euro and Manti as my main lights. I find that the elinchrom "indirect" striplite softboxes (Elinchrom Striplite Softbox for Flash Only - 13x69" (33x175cm) works as an awesome combination in two or three light set ups.

I would recommend that you purchase the Mola Demi or the Mola Setti, or both for location projects with the Profoto B1. I also recommend that you stack the diffusers -- you will not be disappointed with the images you create with the Profoto B1.

Finally, the grid on the Mola Setti gives it a more dramatic light fall off -- it depends on the look that you're trying to create.

I hope this helps.

Mar 12, 2015 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.