• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

D800e, Nikon 14-24mm with ND5

Mar 05, 2015 at 12:56 PM
robicano22

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Upvote. Unique combination of colder reds and blues. Feels like a world without humans. Very dramatic. Excellent jagged mountain choice.

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:07 PM
dakel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Very nice shot of an incredibly beautiful scene. It is looking very rule of thirdsy though Did you try any different variations of the scene?

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:09 PM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

dakel wrote:
Very nice shot of an incredibly beautiful scene. It is looking very rule of thirdsy though Did you try any different variations of the scene?

Interesting critique!

I was at that location for about 90 minutes waiting for the sun to set. Sadly, the drama and colors in the sky lasted only a few seconds. When I saw the reflection in the tidepool at the lower right I decided to include much of the bottom in my crop.

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:22 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Great shot! My only (slight) critique is that I would have liked a wee bit less at the bottom and more on the top.

I have only once been to this site. It was a number of years ago and in terrible weather, but through the mist and rain I felt it in my bones that it was/is an incredible place. Since then it seems to have been discovered by the photographic masses.

I will be returning to Iceland this summer. I have read reports that the farmer who owns the land through which the road to this site leads is now asking entry fees. What was the situation when you were there?

Mar 05, 2015 at 03:49 PM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

helenica wrote:
Great shot! My only (slight) critique is that I would have liked a wee bit less at the bottom and more on the top.

I have only once been to this site. It was a number of years ago and in terrible weather, but through the mist and rain I felt it in my bones that it was/is an incredible place. Since then it seems to have been discovered by the photographic masses.

I will be returning to Iceland this summer. I have read reports that the farmer who owns the land through which the road to this site leads is now
...Show more

Thank you for your advice. I will see if I can play with the crop a bit. I do not want to lose the tidepool on the lower right.

Funny you mention the farmer. We were accosted by him as we turned down the road and walked out onto the beach. He wanted money per person for access to his road. Our photographic guide got into a bit of a heated discussion with the farmer and refused to pay. It seems the farmer is actually paid by the government to maintain the road. Our guide, an Icelandic photographer, did not feel we should have to pay since the farmer is already subsidized by the government. The farmer called the police!! Much debate ensued. I suspect this issue will be solved in the Icelandic courts. Hopefully before you return.

Mar 05, 2015 at 04:17 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Very nice scene. Love the subdued feel.

Mar 05, 2015 at 04:26 PM
jboucher50
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

There is so much I like about this image. Feels alien. So rugged and untouched. Yet, warm and somehow inviting.

thanks for sharing, would love to see more from this vantage point and surrounding area.

Mar 05, 2015 at 06:21 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Love it! Great capture of movement, exposure, color, moody sky and a textbook example for rule of thirds! I would not change a thing - other than hit print!
Dave

Mar 05, 2015 at 07:59 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Lovely composition and PP, Well done !

Mar 05, 2015 at 09:40 PM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

jboucher50 wrote:
There is so much I like about this image. Feels alien. So rugged and untouched. Yet, warm and somehow inviting.

thanks for sharing, would love to see more from this vantage point and surrounding area.

Thanks for the comments.

The others from this locale were mundane. It became much more interested for just a few moments when the sun and the sky cooperated.

There were some interesting tufted dunes on the beach, but this image pales compared to my first.

Mar 05, 2015 at 09:42 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

What an incredible place... and you've done quite well IMO on both images with two completely different moods, and both compositions are well seen.
Very nice work Mitchell, I enjoyed them both.

Kirk

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:24 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Awesome shots. Love the contrast of the grass and dark soil on the second. Great mood on the first.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:51 AM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Thanks Kirk.

I just printed this on aluminum 20x30. I'm very pleased with the subtle colorations.

Mar 18, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vesturhorn, Iceland

Both are sweet but the first stands apart...perfect shutter speed!

Mar 18, 2015 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.