New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Macro Extension Rings

Danner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro Extension Rings

I purchased a Nikon ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter and a brand-X 62mm to 52m adapter so I could mount the ES-1 on my 60/2.8D Micro, and it all fits together nicely. However, the combination is not quite long enough so that the slide can be focuses at 1:1.

Anyway, I got around to reading the ES-1 instruction sheet, and they state that a PK-13 or PN-11 extension ring is required. That kind of sucks, why not make the damn tube on the ES-1 long enough to get 1:1 ?!?!?

So, I need an Extension Ring or Extension Ring Set. Of course, I could buy the PK-13. But, since I'm gonna drop more $$ on this project, I am looking for recommendations for bands and models of extension rings that might be a better choice than the old Nikon design, which has no lens automation at all. I might as well play around with in the world closer than 1:1.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:20 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro Extension Rings

In my view the ES-1 is poor. You are better off placing slides on a light box, and then mounting the camera on a tripod, or stand, above the slide box. Work in a dark room, use a remote trigger, and you'll get better results with less hassle. Changing slides will be easier. Adjusting the slide position will be easier. And it will be cheaper if you have the bits handy.

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro Extension Rings

Thanks, but I already own the ES-1, and my light box has gotta be 15 years old in in pretty nasty condition.

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro Extension Rings

The Kenko set is good enough.

EBH

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro Extension Rings

yup

Mar 05, 2015 at 11:21 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro Extension Rings

If your light box is that old, it probably has fluorescent lighting which will affect your images. Nikon extension tubes are available individually so may actually be cheaper than buying the Kenko set. I bought an LED light pad for about $70 or so last year for the same purpose.

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:48 AM
patrick04

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro Extension Rings

I used the ES-1 adapter on my D7000 with the 60 2.8D to copy several hundred slides. It worked great. Yes, extension tubes were required. I purchased an old K set of Nikon tubes from KEH for about $30 and I think I also had to get a reversing ring, which might have been $25, give or take. I found the instructions for this setup online (I forget where but I could do a search).

Helpful things I did included: (1) putting rubber bands around the ES-1 to keep it from rotating when I mounted a new slide, (2) using a tripod and remote trigger, (3) pointing the camera at a window with daylight coming in to get enough light for AF, which actually worked very well, and (4) using a speed light and small diffuser to provide enough light to shoot at ISO 100. I got fantastic results, and being able to edit the RAW files in Lightroom helped to fix a lot of issues that the slides had (old slides from the 70s and 80s with plenty of WB issues).

Mar 06, 2015 at 08:44 AM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro Extension Rings

Patrick, thank you for that great information.

Did you reverse mount the 60 Micro? Can't understand why that is needed? Seems like the extension tube would get the job done.

My plan is to put the camera on a tripod, and point it toward a small double diffusion softbox on an Alien Bee 400 strobe at low power setting. I think that will get me in the ballpark for exposure. AF using the modeling light should work.

I have several hundred slide to copy, so it needs to be a repeatable operation with minimal tweaking.

Mar 06, 2015 at 10:17 AM
patrick04

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro Extension Rings

Oops, I mispoke. I used the Nikon BR-5 mount adapter ring, so that the K5 tube could be attached to the 60 2.8D.

Here is the website with the instructions: http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html

Scroll down to "DX Cameras" (if you have a DX camera, otherwise there is FX info farther down the page) and it has a diagram of the BR-5 ring, the K5 tube (which is part of the K tube set that I bought from KEH) and the ES-1. It also explains that some lenses don't need the tubes, e.g. the 40 micro.

Before I found this method of slide copying, I tried two brand new scanners with rather unsatisfactory results. One was a $400 Optek and another was a $700 Epson. Unfortunately I had to return them. I hate returning gear, but they were so slow and clearly not getting all of the resolution and detail in the slides. With the ES-1 and my D7000 I was able to get grain-level detail.

Also, I tried the method of putting the slides on a light table and using a tripod. It worked, but wasn't quite as good as the scanners, and definitely not as good as the ES-1 solution. Of course I probably could have improved the results with better technique and more careful alignment, but it didn't seem to be repeatable enough to do hundreds of slides quickly.

Mar 06, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro Extension Rings

Thanks for that link, I'm now headed in the right direction.

It'll be fun to get those old slides into the computer and start sharing them.

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.