New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Maui Maternity

Hawaii Surfer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maui Maternity

I took some photos of my friends wife and they have not used them to share at all. So I am not sure if they are any good or if they like them. They say they like them but just wondering what you guys think of them. Any good?

1 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0009_zpsa1ezgoth.jpg

2 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0184_zpsyz3ii1qj.jpg

3 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0174_zpszwyqorgg.jpg

4 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0171_zpsekc60hts.jpg

5 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0162_zpsqrhtop6e.jpg

6 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0091_zpsbqpyo3w5.jpg

7 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0083_zpsohcozhyj.jpg

8 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0069_zpsj6fihpvp.jpg

9 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0068_zpsf603icsb.jpg

10 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0061_zpsfkppl1c0.jpg

11 http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/us3kp/BN7C0041_zpseb9n0hzm.jpg

Edited on Mar 05, 2015 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:58 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maui Maternity

I get a strong sense that you're using a bed sheet, and I don't like it.

I think your exposure and lighting are all great, but the only image I actually like is #6. In all the others, It seems you've done well capturing, what appears to me, disinterest.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Hawaii Surfer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maui Maternity

Thanks for the feedback.. Hmmm disinterest...

As for the bed sheet.. I totally get that. I asked her to get something and that is what she came up with.. any ideas on where to get what I am aiming for?? What do most people use and where do they get it? I love the shots from Lisa Holloway. Looks like she is using some silk or something?

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:17 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maui Maternity

01Ryan10 wrote:
I get a strong sense that you're using a bed sheet, and I don't like it.

I think your exposure and lighting are all great, but the only image I actually like is #6. In all the others, It seems you've done well capturing, what appears to me, disinterest.

Very much agree. #6 was the shot that stood out to me too. Don't like the processing on #3 and #5, but the processing on the rest is great. The last one is too obscured by the foreground, and (I think it was) #7 has a big blade of grass or something similar that is in the foreground that distracts me.

So in summary, very good execution from a technical perspective, but there is next to no connection with the subject at all.

Sorry.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Hawaii Surfer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maui Maternity

When you say no connection, you want the subject looking at you? How do I get more connection?

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:24 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maui Maternity

Hawaii Surfer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.. Hmmm disinterest...

As for the bed sheet.. I totally get that. I asked her to get something and that is what she came up with.. any ideas on where to get what I am aiming for?? What do most people use and where do they get it? I love the shots from Lisa Holloway. Looks like she is using some silk or something?

Lisa's work is gorgeous, indeed. I think you'll find that she uses something like chiffon, which is lightweight and somewhat see-through, not solid like a bed sheet. Material like chiffon will flow nicely in the wind by itself, but may still need a helping hand at times (and then you need to clone the person doing the 'helping' out in post).

Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maui Maternity

Hawaii Surfer wrote:
When you say no connection, you want the subject looking at you? How do I get more connection?

Yes and no. Connection is something a viewer should feel, and may in some cases involve the subject looking at the camera/viewer. Feelings and emotions being displayed by the subject will also help to engage the viewer. When a subject looks disinterested or uncomfortable in front of the camera, viewers will not 'connect' with the image/subject and will not have an enjoyable viewing experience.

How to achieve better emotion/expression/connection from your subjects...that's something that we all want. No easy answers on that subject. A lot of it has to do with you engaging with the subject and making them feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible in front of your camera. A really basic and obvious thing that many photographers overlook is the effect that chimping has on subject confidence. If you spend a bunch of time looking at the back of your camera and "umming and ahhh'ing" while twiddling knobs and dials trying to get your settings right, the subject will feel super awkward and lose confidence in the photographer. Not suggesting you did this, but it's a very simple tip that many new photographers overlook. They get so focused (pardon the pun) on the technical aspects of the image that the content takes a major backseat. Some of my best images don't have 100% perfect technical execution, but the content and emotion trumps many technical flaws. Don't get me wrong, execution is important, but content is the make or break point of an image in most cases. Many years of learning and continuous research and practice ahead of you to grow your skills at developing that connection for viewers (and obviously clients as well).

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maui Maternity

I suspect a sense of disinterest may creep in due to the the fact that the subject doesn't appear naturally comfortable in front of the camera.

To me, the sharpening distracts greatly. A layman might not put his or her finger on it bit it may well bug them too - take edge of her belly in shot #2 as an example.

The subject needs to either fill the frame more - to be the subject - or to be the subject due to stronger compositions in wider shots.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Hawaii Surfer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maui Maternity

Inga wrote:
Yes and no. Connection is something a viewer should feel, and may in some cases involve the subject looking at the camera/viewer. Feelings and emotions being displayed by the subject will also help to engage the viewer. When a subject looks disinterested or uncomfortable in front of the camera, viewers will not 'connect' with the image/subject and will not have an enjoyable viewing experience.

How to achieve better emotion/expression/connection from your subjects...that's something that we all want. No easy answers on that subject. A lot of it has to do with you engaging with the subject and making them feel
...Show more

Ok Great. Thanks for your feedback. I would say I am not really a portrait photographer but people are by far my favorite things to shoot. I will post another series soon to see if you guys feel more connected!

I have been on FM since 2008 and it was my best learning tool ever. I have never really had too many great reviews on here but it always pushed me to do better. I have not posted on here for I dont know how long but I was reading Professional Photographer on my plane ride home the other day and they mentioned to always get your work judged, do contests and put yourself out there.

When you share your work with friends and family the comments are usually always positive. When you put it on FM you get all sorts of feedback, your skin has to be thick sometimes but you also have to see the good in it all and to push through till you get a photo like Lisa's that just makes the entire forum shutter

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:22 PM
Dentx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maui Maternity

I like these. I just did one of these a few weeks ago, it can be awkward for a guy. Nice shots!

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:45 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maui Maternity

I would like to see more variety, all the shots are the same pose in a similar location looking off to the left. That being said, they may want the photos for themselves rather than sharing publicly. Unless you know them to be the share everything social media type they may just have the photos at home, it is sort of a private experience to get photos that show so much.

Mar 05, 2015 at 02:24 AM
Vataga
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Maui Maternity

This bed sheet is awful :-) But it would be a good lesson for you. You'll know what to get with you for the next time.

I really like #2 but I think you should do a better work in post processing. Very good composition, dont loose this shot.

Mar 05, 2015 at 03:13 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Maui Maternity

This set really needs to be numbered.

#1 needs to go - it's all about the sheet.

I find myself liking aspects of each shot and hoping you had a shot with all of those good things (minus what I didn't like) to show as your final product.

Composition of #2
Faces in profile (i.e., not looking out to sea)
The shape of the wind-swept sheet in #2 (But a different fabric would be better, as others have said)
First 3 shots that don't have the sheet
Fourth-from-last shot. Nice colour and tones.

Dislikes:
Sheet cropped in #3 & #4. (If you're using the sheet, show it all) For closer shots, drop the sheet.
The darker tones of #5, compared to the brighter colours of #3 & #6
The extensive OOF at the bottom of #6 (and another). Trim to less OOF.
last shot - it's more than half OOF stuff. Too much for me. Others like like it.

Overall some nice images.

Mar 05, 2015 at 03:38 AM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Maui Maternity

Jim Rickards wrote:
This set really needs to be numbered.

#1 needs to go - it's all about the sheet.

I find myself liking aspects of each shot and hoping you had a shot with all of those good things (minus what I didn't like) to show as your final product.

Composition of #2
Faces in profile (i.e., not looking out to sea)
The shape of the wind-swept sheet in #2 (But a different fabric would be better, as others have said)
First 3 shots that don't have the sheet
Fourth-from-last shot. Nice colour and tones.

Dislikes:
Sheet cropped in #3 & #4. (If you're using the
...Show more

What a great and practical way to approach this. Well done and thank you for your wisdom Jim

Mar 05, 2015 at 06:56 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Maui Maternity

Some of these seem to have some fringing (particularly evident on 2,3, 4, and 5) about the profiles which could be over sharpening or processing.
Douglas

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:16 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Maui Maternity

nice set

Mar 06, 2015 at 06:43 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.