Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

childan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

When I woke up Sunday morning and saw that the prices of many Canon bodies have dropped, I was so happy. I have been looking at getting the 6D for some time now. All of these price drops make me wonder though, are they going to announce new bodies in the coming months? I know they have announced new cameras at shows like NAB which is in April. I want to pull the trigger but I don't want to do it if they are going to announce new bodies especially if it is something like a 6D II.

What are your thoughts?

Edited on Mar 04, 2015 at 02:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 01:11 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Just trying to get their revenues up. Cameras not selling as well as they would like...so lower the price to try sell more.

Mar 04, 2015 at 01:19 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

I agree with Chez - lower prices to sell more

who needs newer cameras - the current ones are quite nice and cheaper

Edited on Mar 04, 2015 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:13 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Nah. There are many reasons to lower prices. Most of the cameras included have long since paid back their R&D costs. Now with the lower Yen, Canon can drop prices in the USA and make the same rate of profit in Japanese Yen. So they do so to increase volume and get increased profit.

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:16 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

I am probably like a lot of others on this board. Started with film, then came digital and I spent a decade on a fast upgrade path of pro bodies until finally ending up with a 1DMKIV and a couple of 5DIIs. Now with V2 lenses like the 70-200 and 24-70, 100-400 etc. the need for something better is not there. My equipment is surely not the limiting factor in making good photos. The resolution, AF, and megapixels are all good enough.

I will probably hang on and use what I have for the next 5yrs. That isn't good for DSLR sales.

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:33 PM
campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

I think the Nikon D750 has something to do with it. It gives better performance than the 5D3 according to some reviews and is cheaper. There are a couple of users that have written some very good reviews on the D750. It puts a lot of pressure on Canon to respond with either a 6DII or the 5DIV. Canon may also be lowering the price to put pressure on Nikon and slow the sales of the D750 which is probably selling very well. I hope Nikon responds with lower prices on the D750, which will make me and others to possibly jump ship.

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:51 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Monito wrote:
Nah. There are many reasons to lower prices. Most of the cameras included have long since paid back their R&D costs. Now with the lower Yen, Canon can drop prices in the USA and make the same rate of profit in Japanese Yen. So they do so to increase volume and get increased profit.

+1 - recent price is a reflection of lower yen, which is more conducive for export rather import.

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:57 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

The most obvious reason is both cameras, specially the 5D3, is at the end of its cycle.

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:06 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

joeisayo wrote:
The most obvious reason is both cameras, specially the 5D3, is at the end of its cycle.

Yep, maybe with a little Osborne Effect thrown in for good measure as they have already announced 5Ds/r and rumors of the 5D4 in August. They probably still have a decent margin to make a profit.

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

childan wrote:
When I woke up Sunday morning and saw that the prices of many Canon bodies have dropped, I was so happy. I have been looking at getting the 6D for some time now. All of these price drops make me wonder though, are they going to announce new bodies in the coming months? I know they have announced new cameras at shows like NAB which is in April. I want to pull the trigger but I don't want to do it if they are going to announce new bodies especially if it is something like a 6D II.

What are
...Show more

Nothing new. It happens all the time.

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:53 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

The price drops are in the US, and its because the US dollar value is high compared to the Yen. Undoubtedly, there will be new cameras coming, a few new ones come out every year.

However, due to the stronger dollar, gray market sellers have been severely undercutting Canon's US prices and they are forced to lower prices to compete with the gray market.

The strong dollar makes imported goods cheaper, but hurts exports and US jobs.

Mar 04, 2015 at 05:33 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

the official price drops are due to the low prices of the import/grey market.

Mar 04, 2015 at 05:33 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

FX fluctuation is a good answer, but I think people are starting to smell change in the air.

The high resolution 5Ds/r has been announced, and the specs seem to indicate that Canon intends to improve the 5D series video and low-light still capabilities with a different body rumored to be coming out in August.

Just my speculation.

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:06 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

I had to replace my stolen 5d so I bought a 5D III. I don't know how it is that they gave me a $300 rebate for the camera, then gave me a free Pixma Pro 100 printer plus they added a #350 discount for (ahem) purchasing the printer with the camera. Go figure, $650 rebate for spending $3099 for the 5D III and printer I am

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:13 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

big country wrote:

Which is due to currency issues.

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:23 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Hi childan,

While all of the above assessments (yen to dollar, D750 competition, etc.) are plausible and maybe even contributory, I'll buck the trend here and say that new model announcements are on the way shortly...possibly as soon as NAB. These price reductions smell of "inventory flushing" to me. Lots of POVs to choose from here...take your pick!

Jimmy G

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:56 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Whatever the reason, a good time to buy if the current model fits your needs.

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:58 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

big country wrote:

This.

During the CPW email that went out - the new rebates are likely a response from Canon due to the overwhelmingly low prices of Gray Market imports that are hitting the US at the moment taking away from domestic sales.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:16 PM
childan

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

I didn't even think about the implications that the currency plays on this product.

I took the advice here that there are great cameras out there and I bought a 6D. I took it out yesterday and was very pleased with it. I took a picture in low light at iso 10,000 and was shocked at the results. I wouldn't hesitate printing it.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Mar 05, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recent Price Drops = New Future Bodies?

Because IMAP has failed.

Mar 05, 2015 at 06:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.