FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

Mjollnir
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

Having been going to Yosemite since I was two, and having started looking at it as a photographer for the past six or so, I try to get the conditions to make interesting shots of the non-iconic edifices, walls, spires, etc... whenever I can.

The chamber of Ribbon Falls has always fascinated me, esp. in Winter, and someday I'm going to find the time to be one of the seemingly few who hike up there with the intent of a serious attempt at shooting it. Q.T. Luong has, and has made some really interesting shots, but he's the only one I know of.

Taken last Saturday when, while we didn't get much snow (or any in the Valley proper), there were some glorious combinations of light, shadow and angles that seemed to stick around the entire day. Liking the GH4 more and more and actually more than I had ever expected to. Pixel Peeping brings out great clarity in shadowed areas and almost no appreciable noise (yet).

Chamber of Ribbon Falls #2 (1 of 1) by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Mar 04, 2015 at 01:08 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

A gorgeous falls, and definitely a hidden gem! (As soon as we get out of this West Coast drought, or if an El Nino hits, I'm going to have to take an entire 6 months off work just to visit all the places I want to see!)

=Matt=

Mar 04, 2015 at 01:12 PM
Amador
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

Nice Scene here! the few trees scattered around really gives a sense of scale. Good work!

Chris

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:29 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

I love these intimate places. Great imaging here!

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Guillaume_8667

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

Its a gorgeous shot, great how you were able to get very sharp and detailed colors of the mountain stone, I find it usually hard to balance in PP - Guillaume

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:41 PM
Mjollnir
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

Guillaume_8667 wrote:
Its a gorgeous shot, great how you were able to get very sharp and detailed colors of the mountain stone, I find it usually hard to balance in PP - Guillaume

Thanks! Very little PP done other than some contrast and tonality work.

I think it may just have been one of those 'right place/right time/right exposure' shots.

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:46 PM
robicano22

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

really nice. amazing texture, shadow detail, contrast, light, and perspective. The magnitude of this scene given by the trees is a must have. love it.

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:04 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

It is a nice scene here, rather well balanced. The highlights seem just a hair too bright, but it could print really nice this way. Did you use a polarizer?

Jim

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:19 PM
Mjollnir
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls

JimFox wrote:
It is a nice scene here, rather well balanced. The highlights seem just a hair too bright, but it could print really nice this way. Did you use a polarizer?

Jim

No, no polarizer used, but I have done another treatment of it for exactly those highlights on the right hand side and toned them down just a bit.

Mar 05, 2015 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.