Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

I'm trying to get a base line, i.e. don't go below 1/xxx to ensure it's movement is compensated for via the SS.
Obviously on a sturdy tripod with mirror lock up. Most likely will be at 800mm.

Edited on Mar 07, 2015 at 07:26 AM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Nate Haskovec
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

I'd keep it at 1/2000th. ISO 400 at f8 should give you around 1/2000th.

The moon is reflecting pure sunlight, fast shutter speeds are easy to hit at a pretty low ISO.

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:05 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Sorry, that's not what I'm looking for. The moon/earth are moving and I want to know what is the minimal SS necessary to stop that motion.

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:19 AM
rodmcwha
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

What he was saying is that you don't have an iso low enough to get low shutter speeds. You are dealing with the sunny 16 rule. If you are using stacks of neutral density just do the math. I would bet that 1/60th of a second wouldn't show any movement.

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

The relative motion between the Moon and Earth is at a rate very similar to the relative motion of stars as seen from earth. That means that the rule for stars can be applied. A conservative star rule is 400 divided by the focal length will give the allowed shutter speed. If you do end up shooting with an 800mm lens, then that would give you 1/2 second before relative movement would cause a significant loss of sharpness.

The previous post that mentions the normal exposure of the moon means that it is easy to shoot at an exposure time much shorter than 1/2 second, and so for the bright part of the moon, there is no worry about Moon relative motion. All the other hard to control things like holding a long lens very steady and achieving accurate focus still apply.

One specific place where Moon relative motion matters is if you are trying to photograph a lunar eclipse. The Moon gets very dark during the total eclipse phase of a lunar eclipse. You can find your self wanting to shoot 10 or 20 second exposures, and thus end up with exposure times much longer than the 400 rule. That makes a camera tracking drive become more valuable, or adapting a full telescope equatorial drive to your camera and big lens. We do have two lunar eclipses coming up this year, so plan now.

Mar 04, 2015 at 12:01 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Guess I should have provided a bit more detail. Sorry.

Yup, Roland, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Mar 04, 2015 at 12:05 PM
jrash168

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Roland nailed it. I wish I would have known this the first time I attempted shooting the "Blood Moon". Stayed up till 3 a.m. and came home with a card full of blurry moon images. I was getting frustrated because I thought it was the focus until I noticed the star trails.

Mar 04, 2015 at 12:24 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Roland W wrote:
The relative motion between the Moon and Earth is at a rate very similar to the relative motion of stars as seen from earth. That means that the rule for stars can be applied. A conservative star rule is 400 divided by the focal length will give the allowed shutter speed. If you do end up shooting with an 800mm lens, then that would give you 1/2 second before relative movement would cause a significant loss of sharpness.

The previous post that mentions the normal exposure of the moon means that it is easy to shoot at an exposure
...Show more

This rule of thumb is for full frame?... and so would be different for cropped? Or am I missing something?

Mar 05, 2015 at 08:42 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

I've shot at 400mm and 600mm, and honestly I think 1/250 is good, probably faster if possible. It moves quicker than you think! And with 36MP and heavy cropping it becomes more obvious.

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Yeah. I think 1/250 is the lowest I'd like to go, for a well-lit moon. Here's one at 1/640 sec taken with 1DIV + 500/4L IS + 2x III on monopod.

P.S. my "FM signature" doesn't show up very well in the bottom right corner, does it?

© jcolwell 2015

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:51 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Just sent you a PM Jim

Mar 06, 2015 at 08:11 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

nolaguy wrote:
This rule of thumb is for full frame?... and so would be different for cropped? Or am I missing something?

Yes, the rule of thumb is "calibrated" for 35 mm / full frame as the reference. For other formats you would adjust the denominator in proportion to the crop factor, so the formula would be 400 / (FL * CF), where FL is the lens focal length and CF the crop factor. In addition, note that moon shots are often further cropped in post, to make the moon larger in the frame. Though you may not know how much additional cropping will be done at capture time, it is good to account for this by being even more conservative; if the formula says 1/500 is OK, perhaps make it 1/250!

Dave

Mar 06, 2015 at 09:45 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

So, let's add in the variable of it being a "Blood Moon". Guessing a full blood would be 3 to 4 stops darker but regardless the speed of movement the same. This starts to force one to reach for higher ISO to maintain SS. Would be interesting to hear from those who have successfully shot the BM regarding their setup and equipment used.

Matt

Mar 06, 2015 at 10:04 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Thanks for everyone sharing I want to do more moon shot and I was wondering about ISOs and shutter speeds. I didn't get any detail in the moon in these.

http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/109061265/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/109067082/original.jpg

Mar 06, 2015 at 08:54 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the slowest SS for shooting the full moon?

Rod,

It would be easier to offer suggestions if we knew what settings were used. Including exif data when posting single photos is a good way to start. Info regarding how much cropping involved would help as well. Without that the only input I can offer is that it appears to be over exposed.

I do like the plane silhouette

Matt

Mar 07, 2015 at 07:25 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.