Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

giddyup
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Wedding photography can be pretty physically demanding. You're on your feet for several hours, always on the move, lifting, carrying, etc. But the great majority of this job is quite sedentary: sitting at a computer ...

My question is: How do you stay fit for this line of work? What exercises have you found helpful? Do you workout regularly? And is it something you have always done or did shooting weddings give you a push to get into better shape?

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:42 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I've always been in reasonable shape but my fitness levels have dropped in recent years. Simply through lack of trying... so I simply made the effort and I'm fine again now.

Just to add to your question: how many people find weddings physically demanding? And how so?

I guess it will vary for different people but I've never found it physically demanding. I basically spend the whole day walking around continuously, which I don't think it 'demanding'. For me, there is no heavy lifting or running in the day.

What usually holds me back a little is taking on water and food during the day. I've got better at this over time, but sometimes it can be difficult. Fitness, aside, if you're low on water and haven't eaten for several hours, you ain't gonna be functioning too well!

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:50 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I'm physically exhausted after a wedding. And I am not someone who has lead a sedentary lifestyle. I used to do bodybuilding until a back injury knocked me out of the game. I suppose everyone is different, but I definitely feel tired and worn out after a wedding. Holding up the camera, doing 100 or so body weight squats, standing for several hours, hustling to get everything done, static holds to keep camera steady, etc. Plus I have back and neck problems.

I feel fine the next day, no soreness or back ache (usually), but yeah, it's physically demanding for me.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:00 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I agree that wedding photography is physically demanding. As I have gotten used to it, I find that I do better than when I first started. I do lift weights, not just because of photography, but I know it doesn't hurt to prepare for those long days of camera holding.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:24 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Drinking Guinness in the bar keeps you fit for weight lifting !!

Seriously, running / power walking 6 days a week the whole year, plus a weight lifting routine once or twice at home through out January to march before season starts seriously, then one routine in the middle of the week.

It is not an effort to me as being fit ( fucking fit ) has been my life style since ever !! I am 46 now but can beat lazy teenagers any time you want !!!

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:51 AM
markbrown

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

It is demanding. I run and row 2x a week one after the other the same day. I bike 2x a week. All of these for an hour each. And beer league ice hockey 1 to 2 x a week; and weights 3x a week. A nd believe me after a wedding I still feel it a little.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:52 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Anything can be demanding if you are lazy or live a low active lifestyle. A couple years ago when my wife was pregnant with our son, I gained weight and it put a toll on my body shooting weddings. Then I decided to lose weight and even more than I was before the recent gain. I went from being tired after weddings to wired and ready to party at the end of the day. I've always worked out my entire life but you could workout all you want and still feel drained after a long wedding day. What some people are missing is the healthy lifestyle you need too.

Eat healthy and clean, not processed and garbage. Drink plenty of water too.

I workout 6 days a week. I take wedding days off and if I don't have a wedding that week I take off mid week. My workouts are simple 45 minutes of kettle bells then in the evening I do an hour of yoga 3 days a week. The other 3 days I do cardio for an hour. It helps and I have been tired after a wedding the past 6 or 7 years.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:06 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking about power walking 4 days and a full body weight routine 2x a week. Maybe add the bike when it warms up. I am somewhat limited on what I can do because of my back, but anything to make the wedding day a bit easier will help.

I also started doing 100 revolutions on the jump rope every morning. Trying to work up from there. I used to do 1000 revs a day with the jump rope! The back injury really put me out for a few years, so I have to amp it up at a snail's pace to avoid chronic pain.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:09 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

just do deadlifts.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:39 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Love me some deadlifts....

I can be a little stiff the morning after ... and not the kind to keep the wife happy.

I mix insanity and T25 (love the weight routines). Currently have to workout at home do to kids and there school schedule.
Should be able to adjust to add a couple days at the gym in the next year... Yes!

Depending on how you workout will affect your ability for recovery the day after.
For me, the key is to have a workout routine throughout the week.
This does include days off for the body to rest.

Non-wedding days: I also try not to sit longer than 45-50 minutes at one time. Means I get up and move around for about 5-10 minutes. Helps with a mental break too.

Wedding photography can be quite physically demanding and a mental challenge.
Especially if you are pushing yourself creatively.
It is what you do on non-shooting days that will set the tone for the wedding day physical toll on your body.

-Mark

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:08 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

paparazzinick wrote:
Eat healthy and clean, not processed and garbage. Drink plenty of water too.

This is really important.

Whenever I feel a bit rough the next day, it's a "bread attack". That being, so desperately hungry and low on fuel after perhaps 9 hours without food, I grab the emergency sandwiches I have stashed. And bread sort of sits in your stomach, as you know... doesn't feel great.

The difference of being able to get something mid-day and then having a hot meal served out quickly is night-and-day for me.

And other than that, I've always eaten well, so you need to lead a health lifestyle as you say. But especially when you're running low on fuel, you're going to actually feel better putting good stuff back in there, rather than crap. If you fuel up with crap, you'll certainly feel it.

Maybe I just haven't had one that's been that physically demanding for a long time, but I cannot call walking around physically demanding

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:21 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I'm over 50 so this hits me harder than some, but I shoot a ton of weddings so I manage to cope. Yoga and weight resistance have been my best friends. Doing a half marathon this Spring.

I'm a weight snob on gear. No bricks in my house. If it's heavy, I don't own it.

This isn't like digging ditches or anything. Plenty of people older than me have real jobs and the get along.

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:28 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

What you eat is a big deal, but that's nothing special to the wedding trade. You don't want to eat four wedding meals a week if you're trying to stay spry. I pack my own often, ducking out for 15 mins or so for a quick light pre made meal. Off the job it's mostly fruits and vegetables, light on processed foods and never processed meat.

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:39 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Hardest part for me is being on my feet all day. My feet are killing me by the time I hit the reception.

Other than that, meh, it's not that physically demanding to be honest.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:07 AM
bayvillian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

The biggest thing for me is my wrists, they kill after a long wedding. Any tips aside for...

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:24 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I'm always pretty exhausted at the end of a wedding, though I approach them pretty "Actively". I'm off my feet for no more than 20 minutes through the day.

I've been running twice a week and have a soccer league once a week, I think it has helped. And drink TONS of water through the day obviously!

-- Also switching from the 70-200 f/2.8L Is II to the f/4L IS and stopping use of a battery grip has been a dream. I can't imagine adding all that weight back in to the mix.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:43 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Ugly but comfortable shoes solved the foot issues for me: http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/new-balance-812-mens-shoe.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=new-balance-812-mens-shoe&Color=White%20(MW812WT)&Size/Width=7%20D%20(Medium)&gclid=CIef5riFj8QCFU8A7Aod9XwAfg

I had metatarsalagia last year and it was hell until I started wearing these.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:46 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

I wonder with your bad back if you could do rebounding?

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:53 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

bayvillian wrote:
The biggest thing for me is my wrists, they kill after a long wedding. Any tips aside for...

this has been my main complaint as well, I started wearing a wrist brace when I shoot. It's not beautiful, but it provides support and there is no pain afterwards normally. If there is pain afterwards, I wear a magnetic wrist wrap when I sleep.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:57 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Staying Fit for Wedding Photography?

Weddings are hard on the body, and lifting has done wonders for day-of and recovery time. I'd go as far as to say that being fit has improved my wedding photography being that I don't die out mid-reception. Shooting that next day is also not a drag anymore, physicality wise.

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:03 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.