New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

deepz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

Hi all,

Need your advice or suggestions on this old topic.
I currently own a Canon 7D with 50 f1.8 and 15-85 lens, this camera is primarily used by my wife for her food photography. We feel its time to switch to Full frame and the obvious choose would be 5D Mark 3.
however i know this may surprise many in this forum for the reason to shift to FF for food photography. We think full frame definitely produces better pics.Please correct me here if i am wrong and should i just stick to 7D and buy better lens.

Mar 03, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

A lot of factors go into making better pictures. Lighting, composition, post processing, to name a few. Lots of good photos have been made with the 7D and bad ones with the 5D3.

That being said, there are advantages to a FF sensor that might apply to food photography. The ability to use a shallower depth of field comes to mind, for example. Do you shoot in natural light or use a flash or studio lighting? Are you adding lenses? You won't be able to use your zoom on a 5D3.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:05 PM
deepz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

yes the zoom would not work on 5D Mark 3.
Often shooting would be done in natural light and post processing using lightroom.
Looking to add 50mm f1.4 and dont know which other lens would suit this kind of photography.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:11 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

For non action photography as you suggest, I would skip the 5d3 and get a 6D. The AF system in the 5d3 is the main reason (among others of course) it costs twice as much.

Also, like Spikey said, your lens will not work. The 50 1.8 or 1.4 would work fine.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:20 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

For food and product photography, you should look at a 90 - TSE lens. That's the standard.

You generally want to control the depth of focus, as well as correct for perspective distortions. The Tilt-Shift lenses focus fairly closely as well.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

I agree with Iowa, the 6d seems like a great fit, and leaves more money for lenses. The 50 macro might be a good lens to look at as well. Sharp optics, more flexibility with focus distance, and relatively inexpensive.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:52 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

It depends on different factors. How large will you be reproducing your images? Will you benefit from a FF angle of view and DOF traits?

At the lower ISO's the 18 meg sensor in the 7D (and so many other cameras) is still very good, especially if you can control the lighting which you can.

At smaller reproducton sizes and with good RAW processing you honestly won't see much difference in the finished result - and this is coming from someone who regularly uses both formats.

The 7D is now a very underrated camera but it's still very good for certain things. Can you describe in what way your shots are deficient now?

I use a 1Ds3 for a lot of my main shots and an EOS M with an 11-22 lens for insets of industrial stuff and at 100-400 ISO the results really aren't very different

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:10 AM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

I've owned the 7D and currently have the 6D. For what you describe I think the 6D will really be an improvement. As much as I would love a 5DIII, there are so few instances I come across where the better auto focus would help me.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:49 AM
deepz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

thank you ppl...6D seems to be a clear winner here for VFM.
Again which lens are the best to invest ?

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

deepz wrote:
thank you ppl...6D seems to be a clear winner here for VFM.
Again which lens are the best to invest ?

The 50/2.5 Compact Macro is a good start; the TS-E lenses allow you to create images with greater depth of field and greater sharpness (at the same time), but they're also more expensive and require more expertise to use to best effect.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:57 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

If you want to save even more money and keep the 7d, try renting an EFS 60 2.8 macro. This is what I used on my 7d. It provided excellent sharpness, colors, and focus accuracy from portrait to macro distances. I think it is the best Canon crop lens of the bunch and I really miss it.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:09 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

My favorite lenses for food photography is the 50L and 100L Macro on FF cameras. Available light looks much better than strobes.

Edited on Mar 04, 2015 at 08:14 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:14 PM
deepz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

thank you never knew about the 50mm f2.5 macro.
any thoughts on the 85mm f1.8 ?

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:14 PM
deepz

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

50L and 100L way too expensive for me.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

deepz wrote:
Hi all,

Need your advice or suggestions on this old topic.
I currently own a Canon 7D with 50 f1.8 and 15-85 lens, this camera is primarily used by my wife for her food photography. We feel its time to switch to Full frame and the obvious choose would be 5D Mark 3.
however i know this may surprise many in this forum for the reason to shift to FF for food photography. We think full frame definitely produces better pics.Please correct me here if i am wrong and should i just stick to 7D and buy better lens.

I haven't read the other responses yet, so apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned.

I think the first question to ask may be what issues are you having with your photography that you think might be improved by getting a camera with a larger sensor?

All else being equal, a larger sensor has the potential to produce greater image quality, but at the same time the cropped sensor camera you have also produces very excellent quality. Would you see "better pics" from the full frame sensor? If you work very carefully from the tripod, do careful post-processing work, and regularly make very large, high quality prints, you might. If you don't make such large reproductions of your photographs, there is a very good chance that you'll see no difference at all.

In some ways, depending on what sort of food photography you do, it is possible that investments elsewhere might have greater impact. If you are really serious about this, there might be times when having a macro lens could be useful. Or a tilt/shift could help you deal with certain kinds of focus issues. Some food photographers I know like to work with very long focal lengths, shooting from a greater distance than you might with your current lenses.

By the way, the 85mm f/1.8 Canon lens is a fine one, and one of Canon's best quality/price deals. Whether that is a lens that would gain you much is a question for you to consider.

Good luck with your choices.

Dan

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:30 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

deepz wrote:
thank you never knew about the 50mm f2.5 macro.
any thoughts on the 85mm f1.8 ?

The 85/1.8 is great for a lot of things- but it isn't known for its close focus distance, which is where the Macros come in.

Mar 04, 2015 at 08:40 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

deepz wrote:
50L and 100L way too expensive for me.

You are considering several cameras, including the Nikon D750 and Canon 5D Mark III, and yet you cannot afford good lenses? (I saw your thread in the Nikon section.) Get at least one really good lens first, then save for the camera body! My first L lens was an EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS, purchased new, before I had bought a new Canon camera body. (I was using a 40D, bought pre-owned, at the time.) After my budget had settled, I then bought a new 7D.

A lens need not be "L" to be a really good one, of course. 100mm might be a bit long for food photography, if one is shooting large plates of food*. The principle, however, applies; good optics are more important than having a "full-frame" sensor!

*I seem to remember Nicole S. Young favoring an EF 24-105/4L lens for food photography, using a 5D Mark II, but that information is several years old. The 24-105/4L does, indeed focus quite closely.

Edited on Mar 04, 2015 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:16 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

RexGig0 wrote:
*I seem to remember Nicole S. Young favoring an EF 24-105/4L lens for food photography, using a 5D Mark II, but that information is several years old. The 24-105/4L does, indeed focus quite closely.

The 24-105L does well there, and the 24-70/4L IS Macro does even better; still, both are significantly more expensive than the 50/2.5CM.

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:27 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

johnctharp wrote:
The 24-105L does well there, and the 24-70/4L IS Macro does even better; still, both are significantly more expensive than the 50/2.5CM.

True; I mentioned the 24-105/4L because of its focal length range, not its cost. The 50/2.5 Macro is certainly a good value.

Pre-owned samples of the 24-105/4L are so numerous, however, it seems to have driven prices down. I paid $775 US for a very nicely-preserved 24-105/4L last September, at Houston Camera Exchange, then learned that price was, apparently, a bit on the high side, for the USA as a whole, at that point in time. I will say that my 24-105/4L is a very useful lens, indeed, making me wish I had bought one years earlier.

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:50 PM
deepz

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Reasons to move from Crop camera to Full Frame

thanks everyone for your valuable insights and yes i was keen to buy Full frame as apart from food photography this would help me in portraits and landscape.
50/2.5 certainly seems to be a VFM if i can combine it with 6D.I am ruling the 5D mark 3 only because i may not need the AF for my purpose of photography.

Mar 04, 2015 at 10:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.