New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

JimW56
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

Trying Nik Silver Effects Pro 2. These two shots converted to B/W in Nik.

Lime Kiln Lighthouse, Lime Kiln Point State Park, Friday Harbor, WA.
Lighthouse-Edit.jpg by JimW54, on Flickr

South Louisiana bayou
DSC_2974-Edit.jpg by JimW54, on Flickr

A bit different processing on each.

Mar 03, 2015 at 06:18 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

Hi Jim, to my eye the first looks a little overworked approaching a black and white HDR with a little too much tone mapping. The second one I like and it reminds me of the canals around here that have been allowed to have the towpaths overgrown with brush and trees.
Douglas

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

Jim,

I'll second Douglas' comments re SEP and processing...structure, for my taste FWIW, is way over-cooked. SEP is extremely powerful but best applied with a delicate touch. All my opinion.

The second reminds of the Augusta Canal, hand excavated in 1847 to facilitate shipping cotton down the Savannah. Today, the tow path is bicycle, walking, and jogging trail while canal is used for sightseeing and 'dinner' cruise/wine/music events.

Bob

Mar 04, 2015 at 11:00 AM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

douter wrote:
Hi Jim, to my eye the first looks a little overworked approaching a black and white HDR with a little too much tone mapping. The second one I like and it reminds me of the canals around here that have been allowed to have the towpaths overgrown with brush and trees.
Douglas

Thanks Douglas. The first one is my first attempt with Nik.

---------------------------------------------

Bob Jarman wrote:
Jim,

I'll second Douglas' comments re SEP and processing...structure, for my taste FWIW, is way over-cooked. SEP is extremely powerful but best applied with a delicate touch. All my opinion.

The second reminds of the Augusta Canal, hand excavated in 1847 to facilitate shipping cotton down the Savannah. Today, the tow path is bicycle, walking, and jogging trail while canal is used for sightseeing and 'dinner' cruise/wine/music events.

Bob

Thanks Bob. As stated above, number 1 is my first attempt, with Nik. The second is just a bayou in South Louisiana, no tow path to grow over, I think it's just part of the area. (swamp).

Mar 04, 2015 at 01:45 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

Jim I will reinforce the above comments. I use and love Nik SEfx Pro2. Did you compare the original and Nik conversion for the grainy effect? But if that is what you like and were going for fine....! I sometimes use SEfx2 to add a olde feel to a modern image.
Nice work NTL(nonetheless).
Dan

Mar 05, 2015 at 09:01 AM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

Danpbphoto wrote:
Jim I will reinforce the above comments. I use and love Nik SEfx Pro2. Did you compare the original and Nik conversion for the grainy effect? But if that is what you like and were going for fine....! I sometimes use SEfx2 to add a olde feel to a modern image.
Nice work NTL(nonetheless).
Dan

Thank you Dan. While I admit I may have been a bit heavy handed, the look of Kodak Tri-X 400 was what I was going for.

Mar 05, 2015 at 04:27 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lime Kiln Lighthouse

JimW56 wrote:
Thank you Dan. While I admit I may have been a bit heavy handed, the look of Kodak Tri-X 400 was what I was going for.

Yes I do that sometimes as I said above...that is why those plugins are in the categories of SEfxP2!
Dan

Mar 06, 2015 at 07:29 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.