Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

elorablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

Can someone explain this to me?

Most say turn off VR when using a tripod, then why do lenses that you couldn't possibly handhold have VR ?

sorry, it's my day off and it's snowing like a sumbitch and I don't feel like cleaning the house

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:30 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

For lenses that need VR off with a tripod, the VR could still be handy when shooting off a bean bag - and hey, some people do hand-hold even the big guns.

If VR can be ON with a tripod, it's very handy for windy conditions, slower shutter speeds, etc. It's also handy for keeping the viewfinder image stable when you're shooting.

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:35 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

Lots of people hand hold lenses like the 500/4 or even 400/2.8, just for a much shorter period of time than you would a smaller, lighter, lens.

Also, especially once you get into the really long focal lengths, VR can be useful even when using a bean-bag, monopod, or tripod. The high end tele's have VR that detects when it's on a tripod and adjusts accordingly for minor vibrations and mirror slap. Longer focal lengths are especially sensitive to tiny vibrations, so VR can be very helpful, both on and off the tripod.

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:37 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

A lot of those big lenses that seem to big to hand hold are quite usable on a monopod and VR helps. Also, those big lenses can be on a gimble head and used for panning shots with slower shutter speeds ... again, VR helps.

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:40 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

With the big telephotos, unless you have a very big, heavy, rock-solid tripod and head, you'll still need to use VR.

Mar 03, 2015 at 04:20 PM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

So, "no VR when on a tripod" is a very loose rule I see. I've noticed Gavin Hoey on his Adorama videos leaves it on when tripod mounted, and he's only using a 24-105

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:49 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

elorablue wrote:
So, "no VR when on a tripod" is a very loose rule I see. I've noticed Gavin Hoey on his Adorama videos leaves it on when tripod mounted, and he's only using a 24-105

I personally wouldn't be using it with a 24-105 on a tripod, but each to their own. It's more for the big tele's which are far more sensitive to tiny movements and mirror slap, even with good support. The big tele's have a specific VR mode for tripods (some have a switch, others detect it automatically), the shorter lenses do not and in those cases I'd be leaving it off.

Mar 04, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

I kept forgetting to turn it off when on a tripod with any of my VR lenses. Never had an issue, so now I don't bother remembering....

I believe there may have been an issue with Version 1 of VR which wasn't smart enough to know if it was stabile or not...

Mar 04, 2015 at 04:06 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · VR on tripod lenses . I don't get it.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7676/~/using-vr-lenses-on-tripod

That's nikon's take on when to use it and when not to.

The exotic superteles also have a "tripod" VR mode, some have a phyiscal switch for it, others will automatically detect it.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Micro-Sites/VR/technology/normal/tripod/

Mar 04, 2015 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.