New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

If you spend the night in Page, AZ can you wake up and drive to White Pocket and still arrive for good early morning ( not sunrise ) light?
Is Kanab any closer?
Thanks,
Bob

Mar 03, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

Page is about two miles closer, but the slow area around the dam and state agriculture inspection station, as well as the reduced-speed zone in the 'city' of Big Water make it a push. I'd guess it takes a little under two hours to get there from either origin.

Better yet, pitch a tent at WP and do star trails, etc. over the cool formations. This would give you two periods of 'beauty light' as well.

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:44 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

We stayed at Page and drove to Bigwater to meet our guide. He then took us and another group to tour White Pocket and South Coyote Buttes.

Alternatively, you can camp near White Pockets or stay at the BB room offered by the Paria Outfitters.

http://www.paria.com/paria-outpost-2/

Mar 03, 2015 at 04:24 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

It's 4 hours from Page to White Pocket. It is 35 miles of rough dirt road, and the last 8 miles is extremely deep sand. It is not a quick trip by any means.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:53 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · White Pocket ( AZ ) Question

I don't think I'd try and wake up early enough to catch good am light there. Those last few miles can be a little interesting and not something I would want to attempt in the dark (unless you're familiar with the area). I went there a few years ago and left Kanab in the early afternoon to catch sunset, camped, and then shot the sunrise before leaving. That's my plan again next month.

Mar 11, 2015 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.