Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       9       end

Archive 2015 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

csd2020
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

CanadaMark wrote:
It continues to use a consumer-level build quality as well.

Actually it's quite a bit better than consumer-level. You may have missed this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

I am reading this post with great interest as I, like many, would like a pro-end DX camera. With a D800E, D610 and 2 D300's to split between my wife and I, the D300 continues to be my go to wildlife camera due to my familiarity with its form and output. I sold my D700, not because I didn't like it, but because I needed the crop. I rolled it into a D300 and a lot of cash and will likely pick up another D300 because they are so cheap today ($300 to $400).

Many suggest that the D800 is a suitable wildlife camera, but mine certainly is not. The mirror vibration is too great and the frame rate is too slow. While it would be nice to own a D810, at the rate that Nikon bodies depreciate, I refuse to buy any body new unless it has hit the bottom of the market. The D800E I bought for $2100 in September w/ 1000 clicks seemed a bargain at the time... today the same camera would sell for less than $1700. It's hard to justify a $3200 purchase that will depreciate so dramatically.

Anyway, if a D400 / D500 w/ 16 to 24mp were produced and sold for $1800 to $2100, I'd find a way to buy it, as it is the one camera that I really wish I had.

bruce

Edited on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM
aznature
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

When i was about to purchase my first DSLR - the D100, the dealer made a comment that
my 24mm lens shall turn to 36mm lens. I walked away from the store after few seconds.
Later i thoughts that the built-in extender is an advantage for long reach and bought
that camera. The DX was not created to improve the reach for long lenses.
It was produced because of sensor availability and cost. At that time the full frame sensor was a wild dream. Let's admit that the DX camera was born as a problematic child which later turned his problems into an advantage. So nobody remembers his past...... and the DX lenses? they were created to fix a problem as well.
How many of us skip the DX lineup when we visit Nikonusa site?

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Danner
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Canon are already offering a rebate on the D7 Mark II.

Demand is apparently, not all that.

Mar 30, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

^^^ Yea but Canon did not put one of its latest and greatest sensors in it. Had they, demand might be higher.

Mar 30, 2015 at 03:20 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

csd2020 wrote:
Actually it's quite a bit better than consumer-level. You may have missed this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii

Your link is regarding weather sealing, connections, circuitry, etc. which are no doubt more than acceptable.

It's still a consumer-level base build. It relies on a plastic under body with non-structural metal plating over top, which is not the same as a full magnesium body. The lens mount and sensor assembly still screws into the plastic mirror box. It does not use a full magnesium frame, with the lens mount attached to metal, like the Canon 1-series, or D300/D700/D8XX/D3/D4 series cameras. Once you hit the 1-series, you get a bump up in general build quality.

Canon understandably likes to show all their press photos with the metal plating on, which is rather misleading.

There are of course debates on what is stronger, metal or plastic, etc. but the 7D2 is not built like a 1-series (nor is the 5DM3 or 5DS/R). The D300/D700/D8XX bodies are built mostly like a D3/D4 or Canon 1-series, just smaller. To be very clear I am not saying the 7D2 is built poorly or inadequately, but there is a significant difference in build, and it does not share the general build quality of the 1-series in the same way the D300/D700/D8XX shares the D3/D4 build.

Mar 30, 2015 at 04:06 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

if you guys can just keep this thread going for a few more years, then they will intro a D400

Mar 30, 2015 at 04:24 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

rw11 wrote:
if you guys can just keep this thread going for a few more years, then they will intro a D400

Mar 31, 2015 at 06:51 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Nikon made the D 400 a few years ago, but only sold one. Not a big enough market.

April Fools Day!

Apr 01, 2015 at 06:15 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Andre Labonte wrote:
^^^ Yea but Canon did not put one of its latest and greatest sensors in it. Had they, demand might be higher.

When did Canon come out with a great sensor?

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:18 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

jbonzo1 wrote:
When did Canon come out with a great sensor?

Careful ... at one time Canon was ahead of Nikon ... pray the pendulum does not swing back.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:22 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Careful ... at one time Canon was ahead of Nikon ... pray the pendulum does not swing back.

I hope it does swing back, because then there will be more pressure for Nikon/Sony to do something even better. As is, there is no real pressure from their largest competitor on the sensor front, which is likely allowing them to drag their development feet a bit. I'm glad Nikon/Sony continue to improve the sensors despite the stagnant competition in that particular area, but it would probably be even better for everyone if Canon wasn't still partying like it was 2008! Tight competition is good for consumers IMHO.

Apr 01, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

^^^^ Very True! In that case, there are some holes in the Nikon lens line-up and a 7D competitor that are needed.

Apr 01, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Amazing how we all can take good pictures these days if there is all this lingering for new stuff.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:22 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

matthewo wrote:
I assume you do not shoot wildlife or can afford Nikon's $17,000 800mm lens. a pro DX is much needed for us wildlife guys, with the vast improvement in ISO and dynamic range of the DX sensors vs ones of old, I feel somewhat the opposite with shooting wildlife, I feel little need for FX when it comes to wildlife. when I had my 7100 and 800e combo I used the d7100 95% of the time.

maybe wildlife is such a small percentage of the market, maybe it is dead as far as a marketing or money making stand point, I
...Show more

But if the D400 is 24Mp and Nikon introduce a 54Mp FF, which is much more likely, does that sort of not negate part of that requirement for reach? Meaning, you can crop back to DX yet have an FX camera as well.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:50 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Good point, Lance.
I believe that is Nikon's thinking... Buy the FF and use the crop mode. We will see what happens when the D5 comes out, will the D400, or D500, appear with it?

Apr 02, 2015 at 10:41 AM
aznature
• •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

rw11 wrote:

Hope not D350 with max speed of 1/4000..............

Apr 02, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Lance B wrote:
But if the D400 is 24Mp and Nikon introduce a 54Mp FF, which is much more likely, does that sort of not negate part of that requirement for reach? Meaning, you can crop back to DX yet have an FX camera as well.

Yes, it does until you consider cost.

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

jbonzo1 wrote:
Good point, Lance.
I believe that is Nikon's thinking... Buy the FF and use the crop mode. We will see what happens when the D5 comes out, will the D400, or D500, appear with it?

I'm pretty sure that is what Nikon is thinking but from the customer perspective, it rather sucks when you consider that:

1) I know have to buy an expensive FX body when I want inexpensive DX
2) I know have to upgrade my very capable DX lens kit for an expensive FX lens kit.

By not catering to the middle ground (pro-level DX) there is not smooth transition from consumer DX to Pro FX.

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Nikon D400 Will they ever make it?

Lance B wrote

But Lance....so far Nikon has refused to let their D8xx cameras do high frame-rates while in DX mode, or equip the D8xx line with their best AF technology and processing power.

Which, BTW, is the very reason why I shoot a 7DII.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.