Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

I am curious if anybody that had Canon and wanted to upgrade ended up with the D750. What Canon did you have and why you chose the D750 over say the 5D3?

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:39 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Tony Hoffer switched from Canon to Nikon's D750. He has a post regarding the switch on the Wedding Forum, as well a write-up on his blog.

Here is his blog: http://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/

The thread on the Wedding Forum is towards the top of the forum.

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:51 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

I switched from canon a while back but to a d800 over a 5diii. I was using a 1dsmii

I know It's not the same

Mar 02, 2015 at 04:47 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

That's the second review review I have read that states the same thing about DR and focusing. I need to pick one up and see how it feels in my hand. I have the 5D2 now and I like the way it fits my hand, which is surprising since I have small hands but my fingers are little long for the size of my hand.
What would be good lenses to start with that won't break the bank? Here's what I have now. 100L, 24-105 L and 70-300L. I need the VR.

Mar 02, 2015 at 05:04 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Try it with a used 50 1.8 or 50 1.4; both are rather inexpensive. You won't need VR for those lenses; or give the 24-120 f/4, which I believe is around a grand. Tony and a few other switchers bought Nikon's top end glass.

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:13 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

I've compared these cameras on my site a while back and these articles remain the top hits. Click www below if you want to read my take.

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:34 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

johnvanr wrote:
I've compared these cameras on my site a while back and these articles remain the top hits. Click www below if you want to read my take.

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

campy wrote:

Under his name there's a www click link lol it's on the standard version not the mobile version of the site.

His site
http://photographicwanderings.com

Mar 02, 2015 at 08:30 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

I used a 5d mark iii for over two years. It's an excellent camera. I was never in love with the files out of it, but in many respects they were excellent. The handling of the camera is top notch, it's built extremely well, the AF system is really excellent, and it has some really nice features like the ability to customize things you may not expect. The silent mode is great as well.

I'm shooting a D750 now, but not because I left canon for it. Honestly I think if you're not hung up on the DR issue a good case could be made for either camera.

I don't think the differences in systems are as drastic as they're made out to be.

Mar 02, 2015 at 09:22 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Things I personally like more about the D750:

- the body is a little smaller and has a really good grip
- so far I like the files a lot. But honestly I'm not an ISO 100 shooter so all the DR talk is kind of lost on me. Files are nice and clean though.
- totally subjective but I like the way the shutter responds/releases on the 750 a bit more.
- 3d auto focus is great but to be honest I don't think the AF capabilities are really that much better than the 5d3

Things I liked more about the 5D3:

- silent shutter was quite soft sounding
- could reroute more functions to different buttons - in particular the ability to toggle single/servo on the fly is something I miss
- I'd prefer to have the flat LCD to be honest.
- I could use a 17-40 F/4 that wasn't the size of a bazooka

Mar 02, 2015 at 09:34 PM
snooked123
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

On a side note you might want to try 18-35mm AF-S. It's almost the same size as 17-40mm though the aperture is not a constant f4. It goes from f3.5 to f4.5.

Mar 03, 2015 at 01:35 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Dpedraza wrote:
Under his name there's a www click link lol it's on the standard version not the mobile version of the site.

His site
http://photographicwanderings.com

Thanks. I'm not allowed to link directly to my site, according to the forum rules.

Mar 03, 2015 at 08:07 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

snooked123 wrote:
On a side note you might want to try 18-35mm AF-S. It's almost the same size as 17-40mm though the aperture is not a constant f4. It goes from f3.5 to f4.5.

yeah i was looking at that. how's the fit and finish? pretty solid lens?

Mar 03, 2015 at 09:19 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Thanks for posting this!

http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/10/02/nikon-d750-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii-part-1/

Just about the most frank / candid Nikon vs Canon comparo I have read lately. Not fanboyish at all.

This one: http://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/ is good also.

Mar 03, 2015 at 09:27 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

James R wrote:
Tony Hoffer switched from Canon to Nikon's D750. He has a post regarding the switch on the Wedding Forum, as well a write-up on his blog.

Here is his blog: http://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/

The thread on the Wedding Forum is towards the top of the forum.

Hi James R, etal,

Thanks for the heads up on Hoffer's article, I haven't lurked over on the Wedding board in a while, but I've been a fan of his and Amy's work.

For me, the more interesting article was the one they linked through to over at petapixel regarding deliberate under-exposures on the Nikon sensors...

Creative Underexposure with Nikon DSLRs:
http://petapixel.com/2014/11/24/creative-underexposure-nikon-dslrs/

Having tried this technique myself, over the years, with my Canon bodies, I can confirm that one doesn't want to see what's lurking in their darker shadows!

Some of us over on the Canon board get what the big deal is about increased (e.g. 14+ stops of) DR and what it brings to the table for our imaging, as the petapixel article clearly demonstrates! (And, of course, some do not! ). And both Nikon and Sony have caught my eye as far as where my next camera body investments should go. Lifting one's shadows should not have to be some tortured and twisted HDR, multi-shot, time-wasted-at-the-computer process!

I'm one of those "heavily invested in EOS lenses folks" who's been feeling let down by Canon's reluctance to keep pace on sensor dynamic range and feeling trapped by that "investment"! Perhaps the bigger lesson I should take away from Mr. Hoffer's article is the mathematics of his decision-making process that helped him and Amy clear the fog with that final decision to make the leap!

Jimmy G

Mar 03, 2015 at 10:14 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Thanks for posting this!

http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/10/02/nikon-d750-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii-part-1/

Just about the most frank / candid Nikon vs Canon comparo I have read lately. Not fanboyish at all.

This one: http://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/ is good also.

As the writer of the first listed link, thank you!

Mar 03, 2015 at 12:37 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

I shoot with a 5d3. I also have owned and shot with the nikon 14-24 for a while upon introduction of d600, I owned one for a while b/c of DR and I shoot a lot of landscape. I discvered, for me at least, I was happy with canon.
Right now 5d3 gray market is at under 2k, and bandh has it at 2500. the price difference is not much. I would be the first to say the d750 has more features, and I would probably buy it if it came in EF mount. However I recommend, if possible, to rent one, and shoot with it fr a few days, and try a 5d3 also, and see if it is worth the hassle of switching.

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:55 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anybody pick the D750 over the Canon 5D3?

jimmy462 wrote:
Hi James R, etal,

Some of us over on the Canon board get what the big deal is about increased (e.g. 14+ stops of) DR and what it brings to the table for our imaging, as the petapixel article clearly demonstrates! (And, of course, some do not! ). And both Nikon and Sony have caught my eye as far as where my next camera body investments should go. Lifting one's shadows should not have to be some tortured and twisted HDR, multi-shot, time-wasted-at-the-computer process!

I'm one of those "heavily invested in EOS lenses folks" who's been feeling let down by Canon's
...Show more

I agree with your conclusion. Hoffer laid out his reasons, but avoided overstating either Canon's or Nikon's strengths and weaknesses. I like that. Making any switch in systems is complicated and potentially expensive. Tony and Amy crunched the numbers before pulling the trigger.

Mar 03, 2015 at 06:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.