Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon raw file converted to dng and processed in Adobe Camera Raw

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon raw file converted to dng and processed in Adobe Camera Raw

Let's say I have a Canon camera and my version of Photoshop does not support my camera's raw file.

If I use Adobe's raw to dng converter, would processing that dng file result in a poorer end result that if I processed the raw file in a a supported version of ACR?

Thanks...Alan

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon raw file converted to dng and processed in Adobe Camera Raw

if all things were equal then NO .

BUT

if your using an old version of ACR (as your having to convert to DNG) and then use the same file in a newer version of ACR then yes you may well get a better result . mainly due to better processor and extra tools .
Ive seen a test that ran a RAW and DNG thru the same (newer) ACR/Lightroom and there was no real difference .

I would also say that if I was having to convert to DNG because my ACR wasnt able to open the newer RAW I would still keep the RAW (.cr2) file for future use .

Mar 02, 2015 at 04:20 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon raw file converted to dng and processed in Adobe Camera Raw

if you do keep the .cr2 as Ian suggests, the converter can 'embed' the .cr2 into the .dng file. Advantage is that it keeps everything in one place; disadvantage is that every .dng is now 2x the size.

Mar 02, 2015 at 04:22 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon raw file converted to dng and processed in Adobe Camera Raw

Ian, thank you. Howard, thank you also.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
if all things were equal then NO .

BUT

if your using an old version of ACR (as your having to convert to DNG) and then use the same file in a newer version of ACR then yes you may well get a better result . mainly due to better processor and extra tools .
Ive seen a test that ran a RAW and DNG thru the same (newer) ACR/Lightroom and there was no real difference .

I would also say that if I was having to convert to DNG because my ACR wasnt able to open the newer RAW I would
...Show more

Mar 02, 2015 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.