Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

jnmimages

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

I have been a lurker for some time and don't post all that much. I have made it a personal goal this year to shoot more sunsets and believe I have a lot of room to improve. If you have a moment, would you provide a critique of these photos. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help. These were taken with a 6 stop ND filter. I really like the longer exposures for cloud movement.

Mar 02, 2015 at 10:50 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

Hi Jason,

#1 is pretty nice looking. Cool color in the sky, and I always think it's cool when there are two layers of clouds with the top layer being lit by color while the bottom layer goes gray. Nice work with that.

But, I do have to say when I first viewed #1 I thought what happened to the tree in the lower right? It looked like maybe you did some blending but it didn't come out right. Only when viewing #2 did I realize that tree was part of your logo. Now while it's quite creative with that tree in there, I think you have the potential to give viewers the wrong impression like it did to me. And also, because there are trees in your shots, that tree visually distracts from the scene. Personally, I would lose the tree and just have your name as the logo, or just don't have any logo at all. You will notice the majority of us don't use watermarks here. And for good reason. Watermarks rarely seem to stop people from stealing images if they want to steal it. And 2nd, they usually tend to distract in an image, and yours with that tree distracts more than most. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Jim

Mar 02, 2015 at 11:49 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

I really like #1, but would be nice to try and search for some interesting foreground, if possible. It may not always be there and I would rather capture a nice moment like this than not.

I don't think the tree does much for the WM but distract. May be nice as your logo for a blog however.

David

Mar 02, 2015 at 12:02 PM
jnmimages

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

Thank you Jim and David for your feedback. I kept a watermark but removed the distractions hopefully. I think next trip out, I will see what I can find to use in the foreground for subject matter. I need to find a new spot since most of what I get is from this area and it is starting to get repetitive. Thank you again!

Jayson

Mar 04, 2015 at 09:39 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

First image is my favorite nice light and colors.

Mar 05, 2015 at 12:11 PM
jnmimages

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Icy Lake Sunsets Critique

Thank you tjny!

Mar 05, 2015 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.