Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2015 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

eyphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Craig Gillette wrote:
I don't think it would make too much difference to Nikon if a D400 took D7200 sales or vice versa. I would think Nikon might get a little twitchy if they lost sales to a Canon or Sony aps-c body and lost lens sales, etc., as well.

Nikon will NEVER make a D400. They obviously do not listen to their customers wants. Instead they waste money R&D on entry level cameras. O well.

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:21 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

m.sommers00 wrote:
Steve, how have you had a chance to try the 80-400G on yours yet?

I have - honestly, I think there might be something wrong with my body though. The AF is wildly inconsistent (sometimes it front focuses, sometimes back, sometimes right on the money). It's acting like there's some dust or something on the AF sensors. I've blown off the AF slits and I'm going to give it another go in the near future.

The test shots with the 80-400 - when it's all working - are nice and sharp though

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:45 PM
lorac
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Steve Perry wrote:
I have - honestly, I think there might be something wrong with my body though. The AF is wildly inconsistent (sometimes it front focuses, sometimes back, sometimes right on the money). It's acting like there's some dust or something on the AF sensors. I've blown off the AF slits and I'm going to give it another go in the near future.

The test shots with the 80-400 - when it's all working - are nice and sharp though

So maybe this D7200 isn't a keeper or any D7200 isn't a keeper? Sure getting conflicting reports good and not so good in terms of improvements over the D7100. Buffer depth no question improved, otherwise?

Apr 03, 2015 at 01:51 AM
rovin47
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Steve Perry wrote:

Sounds like the same problem I had with a D7100, auto focus very inconsistent. Had it back to Nikon twice with no success so I sold it. Nikon seems to be really pushing the market towards FX.

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:42 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

lorac wrote:
So maybe this D7200 isn't a keeper or any D7200 isn't a keeper? Sure getting conflicting reports good and not so good in terms of improvements over the D7100. Buffer depth no question improved, otherwise?

Not sure yet - I think the problem might just be with my individual camera.

I never had a D7100, so I can't really talk about improvements, but I can tell you - other than the AF issue I'm personally having - it is a nice camera. It handles well, does just about everything I'd want from a DX camera, is good in the noise dept - not FX good, but good, and the buffer is plenty deep for most of my shooting - I have yet to hit it and I've been doing a lot of action.

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:55 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

rovin47 wrote:
Sounds like the same problem I had with a D7100, auto focus very inconsistent. Had it back to Nikon twice with no success so I sold it. Nikon seems to be really pushing the market towards FX.

I think it might just be my camera, but time will tell. If I can't get this worked out, it's going back and I'll try another, then we'll see. I don't see a lot of AF complaints, so I'm thinking it' just my camera (or I'm way more particular about focus than everyone else).

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:57 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Steve Perry wrote:

Sounds like that first D810 I had...

Apr 03, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

ckcarr wrote:
Sounds like that first D810 I had...

- I thought of that when I was looking through my images! Hopefully I can resolve mine with a new camera like you did. Here's hoping

Edited on Apr 03, 2015 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Hopefully a one-off issue with your camera Steve ... and not a Beta issue.

Apr 03, 2015 at 11:26 AM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

If it had 8 fps or more ( like Pentax Sony Samsung and Canon) I would settle but at 6fps and not using at least the d750 level body I am going to purchase a 7dm2 and move my d750s over slowly , hoping they do a 5Dm4 before basketball this fall....getting my sigma 120-3002.8 OS......
Its kind of nuts Nikon has class slowest fps..Pentax 8 , Sony 12, Canon 10, Samsung 15...so yea I'd say there is a market...hehe

In fact DX or FX to get non penalty box greater than 6fps you have to go all the way go what d4s?

Apr 04, 2015 at 02:56 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Steve you mentioned inconsistent AF with your D7200 and 80-400 lens. Have you had the same experience with other lenses on your D7200? I have not seen the same issues with my D7200. I have shot part of a youth soccer game and a surf contest. Both times using my older 70-200 VRI lens. Normally I shoot surfing with a 300mm prime and TC's, but I wanted to try the extra crop factor of this body, and I did plan to take some video at the contest.

Shooting the 70-200 f2.8 at f5.6 with a 1.4TC in crop mode, I obtained pretty good results. I would say the AF is at least as good as my D300. It's not really apples to apples because I never used the 70-200 with a TC for surf shots in the past with my D300. Out of 150 frames all but two or three nailed focus in some harsh back light at times. I will use the zoom more for surf videos and stick with my 300 f2.8 for still photos, the IQ of that lens is just better.

Anyway so far I have no complains about my D7200, noise is two stops better than my D300, and 7 fps is enough for surfing. I had planned on using crop mode only for video, but I don't see an issue with using it for stills when I need the extra frame rates. Like most I would of preferred a D400, I just don't shoot enought sports these days to demand a high end sport specific body. So for me a good general purpose DX body that compliments my D700 makes sense.

Apr 04, 2015 at 06:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

eyphotog wrote:
Nikon will NEVER make a D400. They obviously do not listen to their customers wants. Instead they waste money R&D on entry level cameras. O well.

I don't think Nikon sees it that way. They probably figure you bought a DSLR for improved image quality. Sooner or later you start thinking you want more (fill in your own bank) and buy another lens to get t. with a couple or three Nikon lenses your next camera will likely be a Nikon.

I bought an N60 way back when and then added one ens and hen another. By the time the N80 came it I had seriously outgrown the N60. The rest is mostly Nikon.

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:44 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

WestcoastHD wrote:
Steve you mentioned inconsistent AF with your D7200 and 80-400 lens. Have you had the same experience with other lenses on your D7200? I have not seen the same issues with my D7200. I have shot part of a youth soccer game and a surf contest. Both times using my older 70-200 VRI lens. Normally I shoot surfing with a 300mm prime and TC's, but I wanted to try the extra crop factor of this body, and I did plan to take some video at the contest.

Shooting the 70-200 f2.8 at f5.6 with a 1.4TC in crop mode, I obtained
...Show more

I've used it with both my 80-400 and 600mm - each lens is very reliable on two d810 bodies and my D4. With the D7200, I get about 10% sharp - even easy stationary subjects at short distances with 1/2000th of a second shutter speeds (from a tripod). My hit rate with the D4 and D810 is much higher - probably close to 90% under conditions that are much harder than what I was subjecting the D7200 to.

I've cleaned off the AF slits, I'll give it another try next week or send it back for an exchange.

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:18 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Since it's happening with a couple of lenses, it probably is your body. A few of the Canon users reported a similar issue with the 7Dm2. So Nikon is not alone with regard to AF calibration issues. Although you maybe the first to report the problem with a D7200.

Apr 05, 2015 at 12:10 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Sounds like less of a hassle to just exchange and see if it was a one-off problem. Hopefully things are an easy fix for you, Steve

Apr 05, 2015 at 02:13 AM
maljo
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Are YOU Ordering A D7200?

Holding out for that mythical D400.

Apr 05, 2015 at 04:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.