Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2015 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

gerikson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

Cosina-Voigtländer 40/2 - with that mounted I can fit my D700, a V1 + 10mm and 30-110 and a water bottle in my briefcase and be ready for anything.

Mar 15, 2015 at 03:03 PM
doonie15
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

rodmcwha wrote:
I want to expand on my answer--I think it is time to stop convincing newer shooters that the lens you use makes the difference. Jay Meisel shoots only with a 28-300-he is collected around the world. The difference in lenses is much like the difference in fine wines. An expert can detect it, but the average sipper can not! There are people out there making a good living with nothing but kit lenses! If you are a poor shooter, the finest lens in the world will not change that. If you have a great eye, you can shoot through a
...Show more

This is a very noble sentiment and yes, I have seen some very mediocre work done with some very fine lenses and vice versa. However, I started out bird photography with a 400mm f8 Soligor and Pentax Spotmatic. I think it's safe to say I'm getting much better results from my 500 f4 and D750. Fine equipment does not an artist make but please don't try to tell me equipment doesn't matter.

Mar 15, 2015 at 03:20 PM
low325
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

One of my 58s would be my go to

Mar 15, 2015 at 03:28 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

Current 2 with D800

Mir 24n 35mm f2
Tokina 50-135 f2.8

Mar 15, 2015 at 06:47 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

doonie15 wrote:
This is a very noble sentiment and yes, I have seen some very mediocre work done with some very fine lenses and vice versa. However, I started out bird photography with a 400mm f8 Soligor and Pentax Spotmatic. I think it's safe to say I'm getting much better results from my 500 f4 and D750. Fine equipment does not an artist make but please don't try to tell me equipment doesn't matter.

I will agree to this exception-when you are working with super tells or in very low light, equipment can make a dif. But many, many of the newbs think that if they could afford a better, more expensive lens, that they would be pros, and the forum tends to support this. I should have been more clear in my post. I still say that if you put me with a kit lens, or a cheap tele, against someone who hasn't done the time to learn their craft with the best equipment in the world-I will smoke them! Take what you have, and become good with it-so you see what its failings are-then buy what you need to match your ability!

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM
doonie15
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

I agree. Even knowing what I know now, I'm still guilty of exactly that to some degree. I recently sold 2 D700s to get the D750. Even after numerous times convincing myself that the D700 was easily a better camera than I was a photographer. But in a moment of weakness or possibly boredom, I hit the button and I can honestly say that if I woke up tomorrow morning and had my D700s back and the 750 gone I would be perfectly happy. That new body will certainly not make any of my photos more interesting. No looking back though.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Do you have a favorite or "go to" lens?

Nikon 810-200f2VR/35ART. It's either one or the other

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.