Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Good Day Fellow FMers!

Went for a walk in the woods today and managed to get a couple of tolerable images.

1. White-breasted Nuthatch - cropped
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A1532%20Whitebreasted%20Nuthatch_zpsyyb4gykr.jpg
f8 1/640 second ISO 800 70-200mm @ 200 with 31mm tube

2. Chickadee - eye is not as sharp as I'd like, but I do like the pose, perch and overall look.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/kccollett/3F5A1476%20Black-capped%20Chickadee_zpscj5z96us.jpg
f4 1/640 second ISO 800 70-200mm @ 200 with 31mm tube

Many thanks!

Ken

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:02 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Hi Ken, love the detail in the nuthatch. Beauty, eh!? The pose of the chickadee is different for sure. The eye looks focused on my monitor. Not sure I like the pose but, if you do, who cares what I think?? It may grow on me so I won't say anymore!

Alan

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:28 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Nice head shot on the nuthatch Ken. The chickadee's eye looks adequately sharp enough for me. I like the colorful lichen on the branches, kind of adds more color and interest than the more common grey bark and brown twigs looking Bgd.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:32 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

that first one is crazy close. How did you get so close to a bird while walking Ken?

Great job on both

Morris

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Hello Ken.........

The super close ups are always a challenge IMO because it is all about the details. The crop is very good I think I think the focus went just forward of the eye and my eye is getting pushed out in front of the eye. However, with a little tinkering........noise reduction on BG, a little darkening around the the body to push more toward the eye, a little lightening on the eye and selective sharpening at the eye I came up with this..........

#2 This one is very sharp at the eye, perhaps just the darkness is hiding your details? A little adjust in Curves to open up the blacks and that eye is looking mighty fine. Added a little USM sharpening overall to this image too and you get this.......

Sample shots will come down later, just for reference for your requested Critique

I also like the way the frame is filled on #2, I also like the 3D feel of the light here and the hints of yellow/orange warmth on the branches.

Edited on Mar 03, 2015 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:56 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Damn if Karl didn't steal my thunder! Actually, I had no thunder to pilfer but his comments are spot on.
I'm sure it was really nice getting out...cabin fever sets in quite quickly.
Eric

Mar 01, 2015 at 11:07 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

eyelaser wrote:
Damn if Karl didn't steal my thunder! Actually, I had no thunder to pilfer but his comments are spot on.
Eric

Your thunder may just be gas Eric...

A very nice set Ken. I do think Karl managed to pull a little more out of them though ~ Ron

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:28 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

angel manguel wrote:
Hi Ken, love the detail in the nuthatch. Beauty, eh!? The pose of the chickadee is different for sure. The eye looks focused on my monitor. Not sure I like the pose but, if you do, who cares what I think?? It may grow on me so I won't say anymore!

Alan

Thank you Alan for taking the time to view and comment. I also appreciate the feedback on the pose.
---------------------------------------------

Herb Houghton wrote:
Nice head shot on the nuthatch Ken. The chickadee's eye looks adequately sharp enough for me. I like the colorful lichen on the branches, kind of adds more color and interest than the more common grey bark and brown twigs looking Bgd.

Many thanks Herb! I liked that branch too, for the same reasons. There was an enticement to pose just out of the frame, placed to take advantage of the bg. Cheers!

morris wrote:
that first one is crazy close. How did you get so close to a bird while walking Ken?

Great job on both

Morris

Thanks Morris. Relative to some of your work, I was probably quite far away at about 3 feet. Someone had placed a lot of bird seed on a railing, and a few species, including squirrels, were stocking up. Sometimes, one of the birds would actually sit still for a bit. Wish I had a longer prime lens with a good f-stop rating that I could put the tube on. The increased distance and speed would make for calmer birds and much faster focusing. Those birds were too twitchy!

eyelaser wrote:
Eric

Yes, a nice walk in the wintry woods was a good tonic. Much better than walking circles in the cabin.

surfnron wrote:
Your thunder may just be gas Eric...

A very nice set Ken. I do think Karl managed to pull a little more out of them though ~ Ron

Karl has no problems pulling a little extra out of (no, not related to the comments about Eric's gas) my photos. Thanks for stopping in and commenting Ron!

Mar 02, 2015 at 09:07 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winter Birds (2) - Critiques Welcome

Karl Witt wrote:
Hello Ken.........

The super close ups are always a challenge IMO because it is all about the details. The crop is very good I think I think the focus went just forward of the eye and my eye is getting pushed out in front of the eye. However, with a little tinkering........noise reduction on BG, a little darkening around the the body to push more toward the eye, a little lightening on the eye and selective sharpening at the eye I came up with this..........

#2 This one is very sharp at the eye, perhaps just the darkness is hiding your
...Show more

Once again, thank you Karl for taking the time to comment, suggest, and play with the photos. I need to be a bit more diligent about paying attention to the processing. It has been so long since I had a decent bird shot that I forgot what my normal process flow should be (bg noise reduction for example). It is always good to hear from you sir!

Mar 02, 2015 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.