New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Bontemps

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

If the rumored specs of the new Nikon DX camera are correct, I am ready to buy the 7DII, with my only real concern being the number of reports, both here and on the DPR forums, of people having to send theirs off to Canon before the focus worked well. There is clearly a problem with some cameras, but there are always some issues, the key question is: What fraction have a problem? Thus the question here: If you own the 7DMk2, how have you found the AF accuracy?

Thanks for your input, would be nice to see if the silent majority are also the satisfied majority...

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:25 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

For the people posting here if they have had problems with their 7DII or not, it would be very helpful to include the date you received the body. That would show if the percentage of "keepers" has gotten better as they continue to roll out ~ Ron

Edited on Mar 01, 2015 at 08:40 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Hi Bontemps,

Welcome to FM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

I can't answer your particular question about the 7DII, so that's all that I'll say.

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:39 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

I bought mine in early November and have been very happy with the AF performance. Serial number 02202100XXXX.

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

You should have an option that the AF is terrible and not fixed by Canon.

EBH

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:49 PM
Bontemps

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Thanks Surfn, I should have included the date in the questions.

Jcol, I am really ready to rouler on this purchase, so hoping to hear that most are satisfied

Mite, thanks for the detail!

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:50 PM
RAMcG
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Mine is currently at Canon NJ for focus issues. I hope it comes back better.

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:52 PM
Bontemps

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

EBH, I thought about it, but to tell the truth, if a significant fraction of the users here (>10%) got to the point of sending the camera in, I would be reluctant to purchase in any case.

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

RAMcG wrote:
Mine is currently at Canon NJ for focus issues. I hope it comes back better.

Did you buy it recently?

EBH

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Phazed
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

I purchased my 7D2 on 11/10/14. Sent it in for electronic focus correction on 12/22/14 and repair was made and returned on 1/14/15.

This camera is providing me with what I was wanting for wildlife and sports photography. I have no complaints since I received it back from Canon.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:04 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Purchased mine on pre order and got it in November. Can't remember exactly when.

Still not 100% sure after I got it from Canon, but the results now are encouraging.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Purchases mine in early December...sent it to Canon twice. Told it was to spec and that's all they could do. Sold it to someone not so concerned about af performance. Lost $500, but now i sleep at night. lol

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Noise plagued the original. Now AF is the Achille's heel of the Mark II?

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:47 PM
RAMcG
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

EB-1 wrote:
Did you buy it recently?

EBH

No. Pre-ordered it from my local shop and received it on 11/3/14. Reality is that I was very busy with work, local weather has been awful and thus little chance for immediate thorough testing, and I was giving it every benefit of the doubt.

I really like everything else about the camera. If it comes back focusing well, I'm going to be very pleased.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:52 PM
Bontemps

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Hmm, pretty mixed report so far, will be interesting to see if some of the presumed large group of more-satisfied users weigh-in more slowly.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:54 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

Paul Mo wrote:
Noise plagued the original. Now AF is the Achille's heel of the Mark II?

sorry but got to disagree about the original being noisy I'm very happy with the results but you do have to nail the exposure
I can't comment on the MK2 as I've still not decided whether to upgrade or not

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:09 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

I got mine in 1st batch. It seemed better at 1st and now seems to miss focus more often now. Planning to send to canon for a check when basketball season is over.

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

LCPete wrote:
sorry but got to disagree about the original being noisy I'm very happy with the results but you do have to nail the exposure...

You do, and plentiful light helps too. I guess I could never like the nature of the 7D gain from the 18MP, APS-C. Apart from gain/noise it is overall a very likeable camera.

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:23 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

I've been through 4 of them beginning in mid-December. Each one got progressively better, but the first 3 weren't acceptable. Number 3 went to Canon. Exchanged the 3rd one later January for one that was a screamer, which has now taken the swim, so we'll see if I can bring it back to life.

That said, while I think most of my issues were the camera, I can't say all of the issues were the camera. Once I got the 4th one and it started banging out results, I compared my settings to my 1Dx. All of them were the same except the case I was using. I found that the 7d2 did much better using single point expansion (4) in case 6 when shooting waterfowl. I also learned, and have had it confirmed with CPS, that this camera, unlike any previous body I have owned, likes to track a subject for about 1 second before it really locks on and does it's thing. My 1Dx is more point, focus, shoot while the 7d2 seems to be point, track, focus, shoot.

I'll be adding it back to the bag shortly.

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:30 PM
ricknash

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Poll: 7DMk2 AF issues common or not

surfnron wrote:
For the people posting here if they have had problems with their 7DII or not, it would be very helpful to include the date you received the body. That would show if the percentage of "keepers" has gotten better as they continue to roll out ~ Ron

Early November as part of the pre-order.

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.