New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A Father's Daughter

wsu6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Father's Daughter

I drove down to Charleston, SC to pick up my daughter from college on Saturday. She decided to come home for Spring break, which was a nice surprise, as she thought she was going to need to stay for work, and we have not seen her since Christmas.

Anytime I go to Charleston, I always take my camera, and I have some shots of Charleston over the years that I look at and remember the technicalities about the situation surrounding the shot, but don’t always remember the little details because I was so intent on taking a photograph.

When I got there, I met my daughter at her dorm, and we went to see her art installation at Halsey gallery on campus (impressive, I must say, but I am admittedly biased), then she wanted to eat lunch (can’t miss that opportunity in Charleston) before we drove the 3+ hours back home.

Walking back from lunch toward her dorm, we cut through the Sistern, a very pretty area of campus that looks like the classic American college environment. It was cloudy, with a forecast of rain, and it was cold (for Charleston, anyway).

As we walked, I was a little frustrated that I had no time to take some shots in this beautiful city, even if the conditions were not great. As consolation, I asked my daughter to let me get a few shots of her in the Sistern, but as usual she said “noooo” and started to run (no doubt due to the many times I have had her be my guinea pig whenever I bought a new lens or camera over the years). I ran after her and caught up, all the while firing shots wildly in her general direction – hoping to get her face, but generally capturing her back or shoulder or hand. I continued to pretend to try to get shots as she jumped around trying to avoid me, and we were both laughing wildly to the point we both had tears in our eyes. Of the 20 or 30 shots I fired off in her general direction over the next several minutes, there were maybe 5 that were salvageable because she relented briefly, and of course, that mattered not at all. We had this wonderful moment that was really priceless that I will file away with the other memories I have of her over the years as she has somehow grown from a tiny little girl to this amazing young woman.

She will graduate this Spring, and I fear times like these will be much fewer and farther apart. So, enjoy the shots, but make sure you enjoy the moments more!

Take care.

Bill

Mar 01, 2015 at 07:22 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Father's Daughter

Very nice, Bill. Great story behind the shots! No. 1 is my winner, but 4 is a close second. Great job!

Mar 01, 2015 at 08:05 PM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Father's Daughter

Thank you, Ron, for the kind comments.

-Bill

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Father's Daughter

Agree with Ron and #3 is not bad either. I have a son just about to graduate and he's a bit camera shy too, so I know what you are going through.

Mar 02, 2015 at 07:47 AM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Father's Daughter

One and four are really nice. Wish you would have been able to capture her off-center in a few of them. Oh well, hard to do with an uncooperative subject.

Beautiful daughter, and really scenic campus.

Great job !

Mar 02, 2015 at 11:47 AM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Father's Daughter

Thanks, Jim.
Sometimes you have to be sneaky to get a shot here or there, .

Take Care,

Bill

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:49 PM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Father's Daughter

Thank you, film_4ever.

I agree about the off center composition. On my 6D, I only trust the center point when shooting at wide apertures, especially when doing grab shots. I could have definitely cropped some of them to put her off center, and I might play with that.

And thanks for the kind comment about my daughter.

-Bill

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:54 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Father's Daughter

wsu6 wrote:
She will graduate this Spring, and I fear times like these will be much fewer and farther apart. So, enjoy the shots, but make sure you enjoy the moments more!

Take care.

Bill

Bill, I too know what you are feeling. If you are fortunate your daughter will move home after graduation. My baby girl didn't A fathers feelings for his daughter is different than for his son. You are lucky she is going to school IN SC and you live in SC. Mine went to school at UNC and still lives in the area. I live in PA

I love your shots you might consider some off crops.

Ted

Mar 03, 2015 at 01:13 PM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Father's Daughter

Bill, I too know what you are feeling. If you are fortunate your daughter will move home after graduation. My baby girl didn't A fathers feelings for his daughter is different than for his son. You are lucky she is going to school IN SC and you live in SC. Mine went to school at UNC and still lives in the area. I live in PA

I love your shots you might consider some off crops.

Ted

Thanks for your comments, Ted. I am a big fan of your bird and eagle shots!

I hope you do get to get down to Chapel Hill to see your daughter frequently now, though that is a pretty good drive from PA. Ironically, mine might be going to grad school in Chapel Hill.
And, you are right about a father's feelings for his daughter are a little different than for his son - I love my sons and daughters absolutely the same, but well, it's just different.

Take care!

-Bill

Mar 03, 2015 at 01:45 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Father's Daughter

Love them all! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 03, 2015 at 02:10 PM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Father's Daughter

Thank you, Herb!

-Bill

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:56 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Father's Daughter

Love the story and the pics. I'm sure she's grown used to dad hounding her with the camera as my own boys have over the years.

Mar 04, 2015 at 07:31 AM
wsu6
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Father's Daughter

Disaster,

Thank you. You're right, she is used to it, but probably like your boys, I'm not sure she's always happy about it, .

Take care.

-Bill

Mar 04, 2015 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.